Your Fastest Speed In A Ls

dachamp

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just Before I Was Pulled Over For Going 153 Kms In The Ls, I Took It Up To 180....post Your Fastest Speed!

dachamp said:
Just Before I Was Pulled Over For Going 153 Kms In The Ls, I Took It Up To 180....post Your Fastest Speed!

180 KMH....that's about 125 mph...right? For a second there, I saw what you wrote and was about to raise the ol' BS flag!! Glad I looked closer before I made an ass out of myself!

By the way...top speeds are governed from the factory by the tires that are equipped on the vehicle from the factory. The factory will NEVER allow the vehicle to exceed the speed rating on the tires they sent with it brand new. A few years ago, I used to have a Grand Prix as a company car. A co-worker and I ordered our cars at the same time. He popped for a tire upgrade that I didn't. Otherwise, the cars were flat identical. My car would shut off at 106 mph. His didn't. The only difference was he had higher rated tires.

144 mph was as high as I reached. The car may of had another 5mph but I called it quits. The car starts to get floaty and boaty around 130mph too. Make sure you are on a smooth flat surface.

On the 2000 V6 Sport, about 130 if I can recall correctly.

On the current 2002 V8 LSE...I could feel the engine cutoff (or rev limiter..cant recall if I was in D4 or D5) kick in right at an indicated 138mph. Momentum however, kept me going to 141 before drag brought me back down to a bouncing 137-138 137-138, etc.

I've taken my 02v8 to the 140 limiter a few times going down I-27 and Alligator Ally. I know she's got more in her but the dam limiter cuts the fuel at that speed.

I had it up to 125 over a bridge, never hit a rev limiter. Is it possible to over ride the limiter with a tune? not saying it's smart, just curious?

I did 135mph in my 01 V6 auto sport LS numerous times. With 20s the car felt more solid and the 130 and up speeds.

140 while racing a magnum, had twenties and i stilled pulled him over a hundred. thought they were faster than that.

all pre-03 non-sport LSes are limited to 133mph, all 03+ are as well.

the un-limited pre-03 V8 would hit about 147mph

modified LSes (lowered, body kits, more hp) seem to be able to know hit 153~ish

Quik....

Is it limited by the needle in the speedometer or computer? When I changed my tires/wheels, up sized, my car was cutting at the same as before 148, BUT, I know for many facts, that my car was actually going 5-6 miles slower than what it was reading in the speedometer... It got fixed when I Xcal'd it. I was clocked by many radars and I was going slower by about 6 miles than it was showing inside. So the needle would go to the usual, but my speed was actually slower. I was clocked once at 141, but inside, the car was marking 148-147. After I reprogrammed with the xcal2 with the right size tires, then it became normal, I even felt the difference. Could it be possible? I've been tempted to slide a pin to stop the needle at 140 and see if the car will go faster than usual. I have my sister in law willing to clock me to try it. She's a County Sheriff Here. And also, why do the LS vary some much by car as far as what they'll hit at top speed. I've seen a difference of almost 10 miles in some cars the same model and year...

limited by the PCM - the XCal tune can remove the electronic speed limit - but make sure you have the tires that can handle the speed....

Quik LS said:
all pre-03 non-sport LSes are limited to 133mph, all 03+ are as well.

the un-limited pre-03 V8 would hit about 147mph

modified LSes (lowered, body kits, more hp) seem to be able to know hit 153~ish

Sure about this Quik? Seems I recall over on the other board, the engineers saying that there were actual differences within models, within years. (Im talking pre '03) Seems I recall the 00 and maybe 01's having a higher top speed limit than the '02's. My 02 V8 LSE definitely hits some form of limiter right around 138mph....every time.

decibels5 said:
140 while racing a magnum, had twenties and i stilled pulled him over a hundred. thought they were faster than that.

Must have been the V6 magnum...cuz if it were the 400hp Hemi powered Magnum??

:eek:

Quik LS said:
limited by the PCM - the XCal tune can remove the electronic speed limit - but make sure you have the tires that can handle the speed....

So how about you Quik? And what speeds are we talking about with out the limiter?

Thanks.

Yes, my tires are rated at 159 and I've safely reached 150 or so, but, with all respect to the LS, I don't think I'll try it. Right... That's what I say, but when you are in the moment, you don't think about anything else other than not letting the guy next to you pass you.

I just realized how childish that looks, but I'll leave it there. It reminds me to think before talking/typing. I'm staying away from indecent driving...
During rush hour;)

Be safe guys.

Hmmm....

lseguy said:

You know, lately I've been intimidated by some of those newbies. The SRT/8, the 300c Hemi, the Buick Lucerne V8... It seems like the LS it's becoming history fast. And now it's a discontinued car. I went at it with a G35 coupe in the highway and I took him hard. Close to 152 mph. I had it with a Chevy impala SS in the highway and I played with him, he quit at around 130. But these two will hand me my A$$ at take off... The virtue of the LS is still it's passing/highway power. We'll soon have to consider that kit from Quik once he's done it or we'll have to take turns at stop lights and wait for our turn quietly. Crap, I got smoked by a Cobalt SS up until 55 or 60. It took me a few seconds to catch and slowly pass him... I'm gonna have to put my nos back on.

lseguy said:
Seems I recall the 00 and maybe 01's having a higher top speed limit than the '02's. My 02 V8 LSE definitely hits some form of limiter right around 138mph....every time.

right - IIRC - the late model 02s came with the new 133 limit - and the LSEs were all late model intros.

you 138 number is likely a 'real' 133 plus speedo error.

lseguy said:

i ran (barely) a hemi magnum on the highway a while ago. Not the 400hp srt 8 but the regular hemi (340 horse i think). he was probably a bad driver. I wasn't trying to race (VERY rarely do that) but he was hogging the left lane going the speed limit and when I went to pass he punched it...and that's all she wrote:)

That is correct Quick 147mph in a 60mph going over the gandy bridge racing a 98 Jag XK8 he took me topped at 160 but until i topped we were neck and neck

Den, what's up bro. I finally got my car to take the Xcal2 tune again and got it re-flashed. I got mad after ray took me on the first run in his mark, then the second run I got him. Bad shifting on my part with the sst the first time. Second time, took him clean. Changing a coil tomorrow. I cancelled that order from Granatelli or whatever it is. Hope to see you all tampa people next saturday...

Members online

Back