Your Biggest Bug About Your LS

My bugs: PO removed the passenger window regulator, so I had to wedge wood 1x cut to fit, to keep from breezing my falls off...

Trunk spare/battery cover,

Timing chain tensioner rattle,

Lack of aftermarket supply, (interested in what a previous poster had mentioned about 5.0 mass air flow meters??)

Oddball lug pattern

Electrical PCM regulated voltage

Hydraulic fans/pumps,

Coolant system. (FINALLY REMEDIED!)

Hard transmission shifts when cold...

The list goes on, but I'll conclude by saying its the nicest car I've ever owned, and I'm in it for the long haul. She's got 204k miles, and hope to see 500k.

My bugs: PO removed the passenger window regulator, so I had to wedge wood 1x cut to fit, to keep from breezing my falls off...

Trunk spare/battery cover,

Lack of aftermarket supply, (interested in what a previous poster had mentioned about 5.0 mass air flow meters??)

Oddball lug pattern

Electrical PCM regulated voltage

Hydraulic fans/pumps,

Coolant system. (FINALLY REMEDIED!)

Hard transmission shifts when cold...

The list goes on, but I'll conclude by saying its the nicest car I've ever owned, and I'm in it for the long haul. She's got 204k miles, and hope to see 500k.

Probably the best place for the battery......

Not much aftermarket for ANY car with less than 300K total units produced. The only reason there is any aftermarket support for other Lincolns is due to their commonality with Fords.....

Actually, quite a few cars use a 5X108 bolt pattern. Even a few Chebbys......

Probably an efficient way to do this.....

Hydraulic fan allows for the fan to turn as long as the engine is running; sounds pretty clever to me....

Me thinks some of you expect too much for a car that was NEVER designed to be a drag racer or autocross king. It was meant to compete with the 5-Series and (IIRC) E-Class; NOT a Mustang, 'Vette, Porsche or even the "M" or "AMG" cars.

Probably the best place for the battery......

Not much aftermarket for ANY car with less than 300K total units produced. The only reason there is any aftermarket support for other Lincolns is due to their commonality with Fords.....

Actually, quite a few cars use a 5X108 bolt pattern. Even a few Chebbys......

Probably an efficient way to do this.....

Hydraulic fan allows for the fan to turn as long as the engine is running; sounds pretty clever to me....

Me thinks some of you expect too much for a car that was NEVER designed to be a drag racer or autocross king. It was meant to compete with the 5-Series and (IIRC) E-Class; NOT a Mustang, 'Vette, Porsche or even the "M" or "AMG" cars.

Never said it was. The hydro fan is inconvenient for the fact that a replacement is 700 bucks on a 13 year old car. I switched to dual 12" Electrics that only come on when the key is on.(highly efficient by the way.)

There is a much broader array of wheel choices with 5x114.3, undeniably.

An efficient way to do what...?

I was referring to the cover, aka the compartment separator in the trunk.

I don't treat it as such, I just think that for a luxury car that was meant to redefine Lincoln luxury, and appeal to a younger market, it should have had at least the full stroke 4.0, or 300hp. Especially given its 4800 lbs and change curb weight.

And by the way, the car beat the BMW in Slalom, so I think with its nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution, that it should at least be considered for some kinds of motorsport, with the addition of a more powerful engine/stronger gearbox.

Lol I do truly love my LS. I fell in love with them as soon as they came out, but never thought I'd be able to afford one. Apparently 1500.00 is a magic number...

I was referring to the cover, aka the compartment separator in the trunk.

I don't treat it as such, I just think that for a luxury car that was meant to redefine Lincoln luxury, and appeal to a younger market, it should have had at least the full stroke 4.0, or 300hp. Especially given its 4800 lbs and change curb weight.

And by the way, the car beat the BMW in Slalom, so I think with its nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution, that it should at least be considered for some kinds of motorsport, with the addition of a more powerful engine/stronger gearbox.

What's wrong with it? What would you rather have?

It has the biggest engine Ford could wedge in the engine bay. There is no trans dip stick due to lack of room as the engine barely fits when installed from the bottom; that's a necessity.

The car weighs closer to 3800 pounds, not 4800......

Yes, I know it beat BMW. Lincoln's target market wasn't 20-something boy racers, it was upper 30's/low 40's professionals; same as BMW.

I will admit that I miss the relatively cheap availability of power in my grand prix. Swap a few parts from a factory supercharged model, tune, profit. Oh well... low and slow fits Lincolns well anyway. I know better than to identify my 1st Gen ls as fast. It honestly feels like a jip paying premium v8 gas prices for less than 260hp. Hilarious really. Oh... and no storage space inside! No damned cubbies lol.

You were saying...?

uploadfromtaptalk1384462477048.jpg

My bugs:

That's probably not something you want to let slide if you want to get to 500K.

Also if it has the largest engine Ford could wedge in the engine bay, how are there DIYers putting 4.6's in them? I'm not trying to pick an arguement, really.

You were saying...?

That's GROSS vehicle weight (the sum of the combined weights of the car, passengers, cargo, excluding trailers). Gross vehicle weight is normally the maximum loaded weight.

CURB weight is just the weight of the car.

From the third link down (edmunds): Curb weight of a 2000V8 is 3,672 pounds. That would make MAXIMUM load capacity (ALL passengers, plus cargo in the trunk) 1,167 pounds.

3,672# curb weight
+1,167# MAXIMUM load capacity
4,839 Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (the GVWR number you are pointing to in your picture.)

Dude, do you even math? :p:

In other words, if you did weigh 1000lbs, your Lincoln would only be able to hold a 166lb lunch and one diet Coke.

I agree on the engine though, Ford could have put more engine in the car. Engineers do not have the same parameters we have when speccing stuff out, they have to meet more guidelines than we customers are interested in, such as insurance costs, emissions, parts costs, manufacturing method costs, ect. Look at just the insurance costs, for example. A 500HP LS would have cost quite a bit more to insure than a 240HP LS, for example, and that would have affected sales for the price point. Therefore, they limited the HP to help keep insurance costs down. Manufacturing costs is why we don't have a trans dipstick, not room, because there is room in there. Ever seen under the hood of a 4th gen F-body? Half the engine is under the windshield, yet there was still room for a trans dipstick.

In other words, if you did weigh 1000lbs, your Lincoln would only be able to hold a 166lb lunch and one diet Coke.

I agree on the engine though, Ford could have put more engine in the car. Engineers do not have the same parameters we have when speccing stuff out, they have to meet more guidelines than we customers are interested in, such as insurance costs, emissions, parts costs, manufacturing method costs, ect. Look at just the insurance costs, for example. A 500HP LS would have cost quite a bit more to insure than a 240HP LS, for example, and that would have affected sales for the price point. Therefore, they limited the HP to help keep insurance costs down. Manufacturing costs is why we don't have a trans dipstick, not room, because there is room in there. Ever seen under the hood of a 4th gen F-body? Half the engine is under the windshield, yet there was still room for a trans dipstick.

I have to disagree with you about insurance cost, maybe different where you live. I priced insurance a brand new challenger Hemi 6.1 litre, it was $50 more per year than 2001 LS.

I have to disagree with you about insurance cost, maybe different where you live. I priced insurance a brand new challenger Hemi 6.1 litre, it was $50 more per year than 2001 LS.

I could be wrong. But, power isn't the only consideration they would have. Power, cost of repairs, ect, Imagine what that Challenger would cost to insure if it had a Mercedes-built engine with the same power rating instead of a Dodge-built engine. On the other hand, had Ford used a Ford engine instead of a Jaguar engine, they might have been able to up the HP without affecting the insurance cost because the Ford engine would cost less to repair.

Also if it has the largest engine Ford could wedge in the engine bay, how are there DIYers putting 4.6's in them? I'm not trying to pick an arguement, really.

Like I said....... The engine needs to be loaded from the bottom and barely fits between the shock towers. A DIYer has a gazillion more options than an assembly line.

Insurance costs are NOT a concern for manufacturers.

In 2000, 252hp wasn't half bad. Ever checked the HP of a DB5? Or a '63 E-Type? A 4-banger Accord has more power!!

My apologies for the weight misunderstanding. You're comparing pre-1970 cars power to ours lol, the 1998 Mark had equal or better power, same number of valves per cylinder, and its a larger engine with more aftermarket support. Its apples to oranges in any case, debatable until our eyes pop out. All I'm saying is that my LS has bugs, a lot of them, but I love it and I'm buying a scooter for work transit tomorrow, and sourcing the parts and pieces needed to do a 32v 4.6.

Insurance costs are not a concern? How many 40K cars do you think Lincoln would have sold if it cost even their customers who have the lowest full coverage rates 4000 every 6 months for insurance? Not even a tenth of what they sold. They know their customers are going to check on what payment AND insurance costs before buying, and if their car has too high an insurance cost they aren't going to sell many of them.

And, it wouldn't have taken a square millimeter more room for Lincoln to install a 5 liter AJ engine than it did to install a 3.9L. They could also have engineered the shock towers with enough room between them to install a much wider engine, if they wanted to.

Insurance costs are not a concern? How many 40K cars do you think Lincoln would have sold if it cost even their customers who have the lowest full coverage rates 4000 every 6 months for insurance? Not even a tenth of what they sold. They know their customers are going to check on what payment AND insurance costs before buying, and if their car has too high an insurance cost they aren't going to sell many of them.

And, it wouldn't have taken a square millimeter more room for Lincoln to install a 5 liter AJ engine than it did to install a 3.9L. They could also have engineered the shock towers with enough room between them to install a much wider engine, if they wanted to.

This

I don't know about your circle, but no one I know, including me, makes a call to the insurance company until AFTER the car us purchased.

And you got your automotive engineering from??????? I have had the benefit of talking to the engineers who were actually involved in the design; and the restrictions of gummint safety regulations. We're a simple enlargement possible, the Mustang would be riding on the DEW98 and the LS may very well still live.

I don't know about your circle, but no one I know, including me, makes a call to the insurance company until AFTER the car us purchased.

And you got your automotive engineering from??????? I have had the benefit of talking to the engineers who were actually involved in the design; and the restrictions of gummint safety regulations. We're a simple enlargement possible, the Mustang would be riding on the DEW98 and the LS may very well still live.

Well, there are plenty of people who prefer to have everything sorted out before paying for a vehicle. There's certainly nothing wrong with that.

After 10 years (almost), can't come up with one major gripe.

Breaking dash buttons and some other quality issues (car now has 50K miles) which occurred too soon in the car's life have bugged me.

My biggest "gripe to come" is that I think that the car is going to become a money pit with regards to repair issues pretty soon.

Then, to sell or not to sell?

(Same comments can be said for my 03 TBird, but my gripe list is bigger. Ford left out too many features on the TBird that the LS had pretty much as standard. But, at only 21K miles, the TBird shouldn't (I hope) get hit with big repair issues in the near future.

I don't know about your circle, but no one I know, including me, makes a call to the insurance company until AFTER the car us purchased

Insurance is a geographic concern. Maybe in some areas it's not important.. Say you know the most your insurance could be is 1000 you might not care. I will stress again about the importance of knowing insurance premiums in NJ. Before I bought ANY of my cars I made a call to my insurance company to receive a quote. Quick example why: before I bought the Hyundai, I was in the market for a car around 30k or less, that got 25mpg or more and was 0-60 in around 6.0 or less. So I priced out the mazda speed3, the WRX and the sonata 2.0t. Insurance quotes were as follows: for the WRX and Speed3, over 2500 a year for full coverage (a necessity since I didn't out right purchase it, I financed it) the Hyundai was 1500. Why? Because a Hyundai isn't considered a sports car. Saving 1k a year made it fit my budget more. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't of bought it if I didn't like it, but I ABSOLUTELY inquired about the costs of insurance prior to purchase. My buddy just bought a Camaro SS and is paying $4k a year in insurance. Same age as me, no accidents, etc. It really is that lame out here.

Members online

No members online now.
Back