you know how every one is complaining about how there isn't a new RWD lincoln...

LS4me said:
That's because it isn't true.

But it is true. How do you think the police agencies get their vehicles? All you need is to know the right people and for those people to know the right people. Or, you could just go to the plant and fill out a req. Very simple.

But it is true. How do you think the police agencies get their vehicles? All you need is to know the right people and for those people to know the right people. Or, you could just go to the plant and fill out a req. Very simple.

Except that they never spent the money that it would cost to design a manual that could handle the power of the V8. It would never have paid back (made a profit) for just a few thousand cars. The only fleet sales of the LS that I am aware of was to rental car companies. They got a different combination of options, but no options that you couldn't otherwise get.

BTW, the fleet configurations for police, ambulance, taxi, and so on are all "published." They aren't secret.

the police dont go in to the factory and pick out what ever car they want and then have them throw on some options that dont even exist.

and before you tell us any more about this unlisted option, I say just shot us up and show us one.:rolleyes:

I always thought the LS could have made an excellent although expensive interceptor.

Well besides the rear seat area. But it can out handle and accelerate a crown Vic anyday.

In the Commercial truck industry, there is a technology called bypass oil filter systems. .....

The flip side of that is that industrial diesel engine oils don't have the same environmental regulations as passenger petrol car oils. So they still have loads of additives that are slowly being phased out of the newer standards.
That's why there's the strong recommendations to run diesel oil in classic hydraulic cam engines now (or use the pricey supplements).
I don't know that any but the highest grade synthetic passenger car oils would do well for that long.

oddball said:
The flip side of that is that industrial diesel engine oils don't have the same environmental regulations as passenger petrol car oils. So they still have loads of additives that are slowly being phased out of the newer standards.
That's why there's the strong recommendations to run diesel oil in classic hydraulic cam engines now (or use the pricey supplements).
I don't know that any but the highest grade synthetic passenger car oils would do well for that long.

You might want to research that. I can tell you for a fact that the oil we use in our trucks is superior to that of general automotive oil. There is actually a movement now to use Heavy Duty truck oil in cars because the additive package is much better. I am gonna have to look that up further because I am thinking about trying it in my car. The only thing is the weight. I will look through the the forums to look and see if anyone has used heavier oils in the LS.

Also, test have proven that the exhaust from our new trucks is cleaner than the air that goes in the intake(if the engine is running correctly). Our fuel has 15 ppm sulfur content. That is ULSD. The fuel we used before had 500 ppm sulfur content which is banned for on road trucks now.

BlackLS06 said:
Its not 1970 anymore.

Things modernize and change. 30K was the interval at the time but now things are designed for higher intervals. At 5K intervals when i change the oil in my LS it looks the same as it did when i put it in.

You know, if you could just change the filter and just replace the oil lost from the filter change, that would be almost like the bypass oil systems.

You might want to research that. I can tell you for a fact that the oil we use in our trucks is superior to that of general automotive oil. There is actually a movement now to use Heavy Duty truck oil in cars because the additive package is much better. I am gonna have to look that up further because I am thinking about trying it in my car. The only thing is the weight. I will look through the the forums to look and see if anyone has used heavier oils in the LS.

Err... That's what I said.

Except that they never spent the money that it would cost to design a manual that could handle the power of the V8. It would never have paid back (made a profit) for just a few thousand cars. The only fleet sales of the LS that I am aware of was to rental car companies. They got a different combination of options, but no options that you couldn't otherwise get.

That is one thing that I will never understand. I have read/heard that explanation before but I don't buy it. Why design a new manual transmission from scratch when there are tons of transmissions already in production that could easily handle the power/torque of the comparitively "little" 3.9 liter V-8 in the LS. The Gen1's only had 252hp. That's not exactly supercar territory. The Borg Warner T-5 could easily handle that. ZF makes straight drives for a variety of car companies that could easily handle that power figure. Tremec also comes to mind. If I'm not mistaken, Getrag made the 5-speed for the V-6 LS. Did they not make another transmission that could handle 252hp? To me, that explanation makes just about as much sense as designing a dipstick-less auto just because (they assumed) they couldn't fit a dipstick under the hood:rolleyes:

To money to be spent was not to design a new transmission, but rather to adapt an existing one to the LS V8, and to do all the required testing. Those costs run a lot higher than you seem to think that they do.

To money to be spent was not to design a new transmission, but rather to adapt an existing one to the LS V8, and to do all the required testing. Those costs run a lot higher than you seem to think that they do.

Sorry. Must have misunderstood this quote:
Except that they never spent the money that it would cost to "design" a manual that could handle the power of the V8.
Had you said "adapt" a manual that could handle the V-8, it would have made more sense. However, it would be immensley cheaper to adapt an existing transmission than it would to literally design a new one. I think they didn't put the manual behind the V-8 was simply because Jaguar didn't do it and because the LS was an experiment to lure younger buyers to Lincoln and they didn't know how big a success it would be. So you're right, they didn't want to spend the money. Which is unfortunate.

Sorry. Must have misunderstood this quote:

Had you said "adapt" a manual that could handle the V-8, it would have made more sense. However, it would be immensley cheaper to adapt an existing transmission than it would to literally design a new one. I think they didn't put the manual behind the V-8 was simply because Jaguar didn't do it and because the LS was an experiment to lure younger buyers to Lincoln and they didn't know how big a success it would be. So you're right, they didn't want to spend the money. Which is unfortunate.

Yes, what I meant to type was "that it would cost to design in a manual."

joegr said:
Yeah, I'm trying to figure that out. You are in agreement and he is arguing about it.

Actually I was responding to the comment about phasing out the additives. They are in fact adding more because the the EPA has reduced the sulfur content to 15 PPM and most of the lubricity is gone. They have to try and make up for the loss by developing additives to compensate.

Actually I was responding to the comment about phasing out the additives. They are in fact adding more because the the EPA has reduced the sulfur content to 15 PPM and most of the lubricity is gone. They have to try and make up for the loss by developing additives to compensate.

They are adding more of different additives, but they are still phasing out others. Some were removed from oils for gasoline engines because they had a negative effect on the catalytic converters. Those should still be okay for diesels. Others are being removed because they hang around in the environment and are suspected to be bad. Alternates for those will have to be found, but they probably won't be as good as what we have now. They start with cars because there are so many of them that they are most of the problem, but eventually they will be banned for all uses.

Yeah, they start with cars and they make us pay. We actually have to pay twice. They need to give us some sort of credit for being hit for the fuel and then again with higher prices due to the increase in transportation costs.

Members online

Back