You can attend Beck University for the low, low price of...

foxpaws

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just had to look - especially when it came up in another thread

Oh my, a rant straight from a U-of-Beck lecture. Sweet.

Yes folks - you too can attend...

Beck University

image6640913x_370x278.jpg

School may be out for the summer, but for Glenn Beck class is just starting.

This July, while others are relaxing poolside, head back to the classroom - from the comfort of your own home. That may sound like an oxymoron but Glenn’s new academic program is only available online.

Offered exclusively to Insider Extreme subscribers, Beck University is a unique academic experience bringing together experts in the fields of religion, American history and economics. Through captivating lectures and interactive online discussions, these experts will explore the concepts of Faith, Hope and Charity and show you how they influence America’s past, her present and most importantly her future.

So don’t miss out on this amazing experience. Enroll in Beck University today by subscribing to Insider Extreme.​

Gosh, I don't even have to comment... :) - except to say it is only $9.95 per month...

Or one can get a life instead of just being a dolt and repeating other's ideas :D

Why don't you join, foxie.

Then you can post everything you learn here, and refute it.

Heck, you'll probably get a better education there than in the government schools.

I'll pay for your first month if you promise to honestly debate on the merits all of his points.

I eagerly await. :rolleyes:

By the way, thanks for yet again confirming Shag's thread here.

Sure Foss - I will take you up on it - I can't wait to rip into Barton - Faith 101 should be incredibly interesting.

And it is suppose to be bi-partisan foss - not liberal/conservative. I was going after Beck once again preying on his audience for funds....

Gosh, I don't even have to comment... - except to say it is only $9.95 per month...

But it will be hard to post their stuff - I am sure it is heavily copyrighted.

Sure Foss - I will take you up on it - I can't wait to rip into Barton - Faith 101 should be incredibly interesting.

And it is suppose to be bi-partisan foss - not liberal/conservative. I was going after Beck once again preying on his audience for funds....

Gosh, I don't even have to comment... - except to say it is only $9.95 per month...

But it will be hard to post their stuff - I am sure it is heavily copyrighted.
Gee, foxie, I thought you were a capitalist. If somebody writes and compiles material and sells it, he's 'preying' on people? Do you apply the same logic to the Clinton Library and Massage Parlor charging $7.00 for admission?

Why the condescending mockery of Beck, anyway? Do you not believe he has any academic credentials?

Gee, foxie, I thought you were a capitalist. If somebody writes and compiles material and sells it, he's 'preying' on people? Do you apply the same logic to the Clinton Library and Massage Parlor charging $7.00 for admission?

Why the condescending mockery of Beck, anyway? Do you not believe he has any academic credentials?

I think it is preying. It is extremely capitalistic, that is a given. The preying is an opinion - that doesn't remove the fact it is capitalist. There are lots of capitalists that prey on others. I don't believe that the Murdocks of the world are great guys either. Just because I don't like Murdock doesn't make me anti capitalistic. Just because I believe Beck is preying on people also doesn't make me anti capitalistic Foss.

The Clinton Library might be preying as well - along with Eisenhower Library - which I have been to a couple of times. However, I sort of know what to expect when I go to a presidential library - I have been to many of them. I just have to wonder about what I will receive when I plop down my ten bucks when I went to attend Beck U.

Does Beck have academic creds - I don't know, it doesn't matter - lots of people have opened schools just for the money...

I think it is preying. It is extremely capitalistic, that is a given. The preying is an opinion - that doesn't remove the fact it is capitalist. There are lots of capitalists that prey on others. I don't believe that the Murdocks of the world are great guys either. Just because I don't like Murdock doesn't make me anti capitalistic. Just because I believe Beck is preying on people also doesn't make me anti capitalistic Foss.

The Clinton Library might be preying as well - along with Eisenhower Library - which I have been to a couple of times. However, I sort of know what to expect when I go to a presidential library - I have been to many of them. I just have to wonder about what I will receive when I plop down my ten bucks when I went to attend Beck U.

Does Beck have academic creds - I don't know, it doesn't matter - lots of people have opened schools just for the money...
So, your response is that it's preying because you think it is preying and other capitalists have preyed on others before.

Awesome logic. :rolleyes:

So, what's your actual justification for saying Beck is 'preying' on people? That's a serious charge. Is he scamming them? Is he charging them money and then not putting anything in his website? Is he plagiarizing? Please, enlighten me as to your brilliant analysis and logic that drew you to this conclusion.

In other words, you don't have a reason, you just hate Beck and will take any and every opportunity to try to mock and denigrate him, without actually having the tools necessary to counter his points on the merits.

By the way, Beck has an honorary Doctorate of Humanities from Liberty University.

Beck University is just the name of a series of college lectures that will be made available to view and participate in online. It's just an additional feature being provided with existing membership on the website. It's just added content.

The amount of energy you and the far left are investing in Beck betrays your cause. Are you really that afraid of people learning history with out the deconstructionist spin?

Want to see what the first video looks like?
Someone uploaded it in low quality on Youtube.

YouTube- Faith 101 Class One part one of four

Barton is a very interesting man and he has an encyclopedic knowledge of history. Furthermore, the guy has the largest collection of historic American documents pre-1812. When you disagree with something he says, often times the man actually has the ability to go into his collection and show you the original document.

The other two "lecturers" scheduled are David L. Buckner from Columbia University and
James R. Stoner, Jr., the professor and department chair of Political Science at Louisiana State University.

There you go, fox, now you know what you will receive when you attend Beck U.

So, please explain to me how Beck is 'preying' on people.

Prey \Prey\, verb (used without an object) [imp. & p. p. {Preyed}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Preying}.] [OF. preier, preer, L. praedari, fr. praeda. See {Prey}, noun] To take booty; to gather spoil; to ravage; to take food by violence.

So, you believe Beck is not returning value for his fee, correct? He is exploiting/scamming people, correct?

So, you believe Beck is not returning value for his fee, correct? He is exploiting/scamming people, correct?

Right!! That's why my college education was free.... oh wait, that's not true.

But, clearly, this is just another attempt to isolate, mock, and marginalize what Beck's doing and anyone who respects what's he doing.

I encourage everyone, watch that David Barton video.
See if you learn something new. Tell me if you think the video is partisan.
And explain how learning history, based on original sources, NOT through the filter of academic establishment is a bad thing, or something that should be mocked.

So, your response is that it's preying because you think it is preying and other capitalists have preyed on others before.

Awesome logic. :rolleyes:

So, what's your actual justification for saying Beck is 'preying' on people? That's a serious charge. Is he scamming them? Is he charging them money and then not putting anything in his website? Is he plagiarizing? Please, enlighten me as to your brilliant analysis and logic that drew you to this conclusion.

He is preying because people follow him like sheep.

In other words, you don't have a reason, you just hate Beck and will take any and every opportunity to try to mock and denigrate him, without actually having the tools necessary to counter his points on the merits.

By the way, Beck has an honorary Doctorate of Humanities from Liberty University.

I don't hate Beck - I dislike his methods, and I think he is a charlatan out for all the money he can get. I place him with the likes of Tammi Faye and Jim Bakker.

Many people have 'honorary' degrees, they aren't earned. What does Beck's 'earned' degree list look like?

Beck University is just the name of a series of college lectures that will be made available to view and participate in online. It's just an additional feature being provided with existing membership on the website. It's just added content.

The amount of energy you and the far left are investing in Beck betrays your cause. Are you really that afraid of people learning history with out the deconstructionist spin?

Not at all - I wish everyone would learn history - out of all spin. Just start reading what the founding fathers wrote - that would be a great start.

Beck U will have it's own spin and own branding.

Just as you would speak out against Olbermann College (well I would too) I will speak out against this.

Want to see what the first video looks like?
Someone uploaded it in low quality on Youtube.

YouTube- Faith 101 Class One part one of four

Barton is a very interesting man and he has an encyclopedic knowledge of history. Furthermore, the guy has the largest collection of historic American documents pre-1812. When you disagree with something he says, often times the man actually has the ability to go into his collection and show you the original document.

The other two "lecturers" scheduled are David L. Buckner from Columbia University and
James R. Stoner, Jr., the professor and department chair of Political Science at Louisiana State University.

Good to see that America - the land of the free, and the opportunistic capitalist - is going around Beck's back and now we don't have to pay for this.

I can't wait - I will have to watch this later, but Barton should be a good watch - I certainly hope he gets into the 'myth of the wall of separation' but, that it really is just a one-way wall that is the separation - you have to keep government out of the church, but lets get lots of church into the government... his views are always good for a laugh or two.

Right!! That's why my college education was free.... oh wait, that's not true.

But, clearly, this is just another attempt to isolate, mock, and marginalize what Beck's doing and anyone who respects what's he doing.

I encourage everyone, watch that David Barton video.
See if you learn something new. Tell me if you think the video is partisan.
And explain how learning history, based on original sources, NOT through the filter of academic establishment is a bad thing, or something that should be mocked.

And even before I watch it I would hope that you do watch it as well - pay particular attention to what Barton does best... He is famous for taking very obscure parts of history and giving them magnitudes of importance. He often misquotes supreme court cases, and takes many quotes out of context. He uses polls, and relates only small portions of them, or forgets to mention that certain 'obvious' questions were overlooked.

Oh, and as you are watching it - remember you are taking money out of Beck's, and perhaps Barton's pocket as well - if you watch it on youtube.

And even before I watch it I would hope that you do watch it as well - pay particular attention to what Barton does best... He is famous for taking very obscure parts of history and giving them magnitudes of importance. He often misquotes supreme court cases, and takes many quotes out of context. He uses polls, and relates only small portions of them, or forgets to mention that certain 'obvious' questions were overlooked.

Examples?

Have you seen The Myth of Separation: What Is the Correct Relationship Between Church and State?

No.

I have personally met Mr. Barton (long ago) and judge him to be a very honorable and honest man. I have also seen many attempts to discredit and delegitimize honest and accurate interpretation of the Constitution especially in the area of the the 1st amendment and Jefferson's "wall of separation". These efforts are often particularly vicious and play fast and loose with the facts with reference to individuals like Barton.

No.

I have personally met Mr. Barton (long ago) and judge him to be a very honorable and honest man. I have also seen many attempts to discredit and delegitimize honest and accurate interpretation of the Constitution especially in the area of the the 1st amendment and Jefferson's "wall of separation". These efforts are often particularly vicious and play fast and loose with the facts with reference to individuals like Barton.

You should watch it... especially if you can get a very early (and less edited) version.

He has gotten better, time has honed his skills. That is why I am interested in seeing this 'Faith 101' installment from him.

So I will be attending (legally) Beck U - a small group of people I know will be getting together on the 31st to attend our first day of school. One of them has sent in his $9.95...

This gives us time to gather up our school beanies - have a couple of pre-season rallies for the football team, and make sure we have our college ruled, spiral notebook and a couple #2 pencils ready to go.

We are all in agreement - Faith 101 has to be the first class we attend.

He is preying because people follow him like sheep.

Like sheep? How do you figure that? Can you cite any evidence or examples of this? Can you demonstrate a large amount of Beck's teaching that is false or exploitative? Furthermore, how do you make the logical leap that he is 'preying' because people follow him? Have you ever considered that people might follow him (i.e. listen to his radio show and watch his TV show) because they agree with him?

So far you've just spewed forth an opinion without anything to back it up.

I don't hate Beck - I dislike his methods, and I think he is a charlatan out for all the money he can get. I place him with the likes of Tammi Faye and Jim Bakker.
What methods of his do you dislike?

You're comparing him to a televangelist? Again, can you demonstrate any decent amount of evidence that this is true other than your wild, paranoid supposition?

Many people have 'honorary' degrees, they aren't earned. What does Beck's 'earned' degree list look like?
Are you even curious as to why he was given this degree?

So I will be attending (legally) Beck U - a small group of people I know will be getting together on the 31st to attend our first day of school. One of them has sent in his $9.95...

This gives us time to gather up our school beanies - have a couple of pre-season rallies for the football team, and make sure we have our college ruled, spiral notebook and a couple #2 pencils ready to go.

We are all in agreement - Faith 101 has to be the first class we attend.
So, is Beck 'preying' on you now? Are you following him like sheep? Are you making a rational decision in purchasing the membership? Kinda disproves your assertion, doesn't it?

I do hope you learn something.

Sounds just like what you do to Beck. :rolleyes:

Like sheep? How do you figure that? Can you cite any evidence or examples of this? Can you demonstrate a large amount of Beck's teaching that is false or exploitative? Furthermore, how do you make the logical leap that he is 'preying' because people follow him? Have you ever considered that people might follow him (i.e. listen to his radio show and watch his TV show) because they agree with him?

So far you've just spewed forth an opinion without anything to back it up.

He is preying because he is asking for money - just like, say, the Bakkers. For only $14.95 you can get our annotated version of the Bible. For only $9.95 you can get Beck's version of history.

How about asking the Gideon group for a free Bible - or going to the library and actually reading Jefferson, Adams, Franklin -

It is preying foss.

You're comparing him to a televangelist? Again, can you demonstrate any decent amount of evidence that this is true other than your wild, paranoid supposition?

Yes I am, I watch him and his antics on TV and it is very similar to how televangelists work.

A couple of quick things I notice...

He talks a lot about money - even when he isn't talking about money that will go directly to him - like Beck U. A rule of thumb is what matters most to a person, what he or she thinks about the most, is what they talk a lot about. Beck talks a lot about money.

His catch words - Faith, Hope, Charity - and used a lot - like a mantra, and sometimes for no clear reason - they are whipped out like "glory be" or "praise the Lord" that are used by televangelists. It is a tool to create a bond between speaker and listener.

Are you even curious as to why he was given this degree?

enlighten me... (or spare me - it is your choice foss)

So, is Beck 'preying' on you now? Are you following him like sheep? Are you making a rational decision in purchasing the membership? Kinda disproves your assertion, doesn't it?

I do hope you learn something.

I can watch televangelists and not give them money - that doesn't mean that they don't prey on others. Others who follow them like sheep. They have a 'flock' and so does Beck. How much and how often that flock is fleeced is a true indication of how closely Beck reflects the practices of televangelists.

I am not buying a membership - a friend of mine is so we can 'legally' watch his videos. Mostly so we can see Barton - he is a hoot to watch usually.

We will not be renewing our membership after one month - we know exactly how much fleece to give to Beck.;)

He is preying because he is asking for money - just like, say, the Bakkers. For only $14.95 you can get our annotated version of the Bible. For only $9.95 you can get Beck's version of history.

How about asking the Gideon group for a free Bible - or going to the library and actually reading Jefferson, Adams, Franklin -

It is preying foss.
So far, you've offered nothing that demonstrates he's preying by ANY definition of the word. All you offer is proof by assertion - nothing more. Comparing a nonprofit org to Beck as proof that he's being exploitative - can you say apples and oranges and non sequitur?

Please tell me you're not serious about this - next you're telling me that Beck should just do his radio and TV show for free. :rolleyes:

All profit seeking is greedy and evil! Workers of the world unite!

Yes I am, I watch him and his antics on TV and it is very similar to how televangelists work.

A couple of quick things I notice...

He talks a lot about money - even when he isn't talking about money that will go directly to him - like Beck U. A rule of thumb is what matters most to a person, what he or she thinks about the most, is what they talk a lot about. Beck talks a lot about money.

His catch words - Faith, Hope, Charity - and used a lot - like a mantra, and sometimes for no clear reason - they are whipped out like "glory be" or "praise the Lord" that are used by televangelists. It is a tool to create a bond between speaker and listener.
Yawn...not convincing. Anybody who mentions money in any context is similar to a televangelist? Nice try at stretching, fail. Did you notice Obama's catch words during the campaign - Hope and Change? And yet you bought it? Sheep much? Gee...

enlighten me... (or spare me - it is your choice foss)
You're not interested in learning anything, only in being condescending. :rolleyes:

I can watch televangelists and not give them money - that doesn't mean that they don't prey on others. Others who follow them like sheep. They have a 'flock' and so does Beck. How much and how often that flock is fleeced is a true indication of how closely Beck reflects the practices of televangelists.
Where do you find any evidence that those who listen/watch Beck are a 'flock?' That's a stretch as well. Convenient use of an inappropriate term. I can just as easily say that you lefties are part of Obama's 'flock'...
I am not buying a membership - a friend of mine is so we can 'legally' watch his videos. Mostly so we can see Barton - he is a hoot to watch usually.
Oh really?

How ironic:

remember you are taking money out of Beck's, and perhaps Barton's pocket as well - if you watch it on youtube.
I can't wait to hear how you justify stealing from Barton. I suppose watching it for free on someone else's account isn't the same thing, though, right? I mean, if it's a spouse, that's one thing, but...that's not your situation, is it? Gotta have a family before you get the family discount. :rolleyes:
We will not be renewing our membership after one month - we know exactly how much fleece to give to Beck.;)
Once again, not interested in learning anything, just in being condescending...

So far, you've offered nothing that demonstrates he's preying by ANY definition of the word. All you offer is proof by assertion - nothing more. Comparing a nonprofit org to Beck as proof that he's being exploitative - can you say apples and oranges and non sequitur?

It is proof by assertion - totally - he sounds, acts and takes money like a televangelist.

Please tell me you're not serious about this - next you're telling me that Beck should just do his radio and TV show for free. :rolleyes:

No, he makes a ton of money off his TV show and books - he should make a lot of money, he markets himself well, his branding has proved its worth. However, asking for $9.95 from little grandmas watching him on TV so they can watch some sort of (I am unable to add a descriptor here because I have yet to watch the 'classes') little history videos reeks of fleecing the flock.

Yawn...not convincing. Anybody who mentions money in any context is similar to a televangelist? Nice try at stretching, fail. Did you notice Obama's catch words during the campaign - Hope and Change? And yet you bought it? Sheep much? Gee...

Very sheep like - politicians hope they get a slogan as catchy as 'hope and change'. However, politicians raise money to get elected, I assume Beck is raising money to go to France or add gold fixtures to his bathroom. That is his prerogative - but, he white washes it with a 'university' banner.

Where do you find any evidence that those who listen/watch Beck are a 'flock?' That's a stretch as well. Convenient use of an inappropriate term. I can just as easily say that you lefties are part of Obama's 'flock'...
Oh really?

You could - just as a Bush's follower could be a sheep too - there is a difference foss - Beck is out for personal gain. Preachers who belong to a more mainstream church, ask for money to help the poor, members of the congregation, to support church functions such as camps and ministries. Televangelists ask for money for personal gain, so they can buy a Mercedes, live in a mansion, and buy way too much make-up and hairspray. Politicians are more in the 'preacher' category, and Beck lives more within the televangelist land.

I can't wait to hear how you justify stealing from Barton. I suppose watching it for free on someone else's account isn't the same thing, though, right? I mean, if it's a spouse, that's one thing, but...that's not your situation, is it? Gotta have a family before you get the family discount.

Foss - Cal actually posted the stolen Barton video from youtube above and there wasn't an ounce of indignation from you when he posted actual stolen material.

When you buy a DVD, it is considered 'common usage' and legal that a group of friends come over and watch it. When you buy a book, you are allowed to circulate that book among friends and family - as a common usage of that book.

We will not be infringing on any copyright laws, or usage laws by having a group of people watch the video together.

You can go to a bar and watch a pay-per-view ultimate fighting bout that was paid for by the owners of the bar and that is completely legal.

What is very illegal is what Cal did - post copyright material on youtube that is based on a subscription service.

you might want to sort this out with Cal...

It is proof by assertion - totally - he sounds, acts and takes money like a televangelist.

Okay, well, since you have no credibility, I will disregard your blatantly biased and wildly myopic opinion.

No, he makes a ton of money off his TV show and books - he should make a lot of money, he markets himself well, his branding has proved its worth. However, asking for $9.95 from little grandmas watching him on TV so they can watch some sort of (I am unable to add a descriptor here because I have yet to watch the 'classes') little history videos reeks of fleecing the flock.
And now you're adding appeals to emotion to the proof by assertion. Keep going, foxie, I love watching you dig your own grave.

Very sheep like - politicians hope they get a slogan as catchy as 'hope and change'. However, politicians raise money to get elected, I assume Beck is raising money to go to France or add gold fixtures to his bathroom. That is his prerogative - but, he white washes it with a 'university' banner.
Now you're just rambling - wandering around in search of a thought.

You could - just as a Bush's follower could be a sheep too - there is a difference foss - Beck is out for personal gain. Preachers who belong to a more mainstream church, ask for money to help the poor, members of the congregation, to support church functions such as camps and ministries. Televangelists ask for money for personal gain, so they can buy a Mercedes, live in a mansion, and buy way too much make-up and hairspray. Politicians are more in the 'preacher' category, and Beck lives more within the televangelist land.
Really, from somebody who loves to brag about the expensive clothing she buys, this is rather pathetic and hypocritical. So, it's okay to fleece people as long as you're just doing it to get elected? How is Obama not gaining from being elected, foxie? All I see is him on the golf course in the midst of 83% employment. He seems to be doing fine.

So far you haven't made any compelling arguments. You know nothing about Beck - how much he gives to charity, what he does in his spare time - yet you judge him by his business. Do you have any evidence that Beck drives a Mercedes? How much makeup do you wear? Oops, never mind, I already know. :rolleyes:

Foss - Cal actually posted the stolen Barton video from youtube above and there wasn't an ounce of indignation from you when he posted actual stolen material.
So, tu quoque, right foxie?
When you buy a DVD, it is considered 'common usage' and legal that a group of friends come over and watch it. When you buy a book, you are allowed to circulate that book among friends and family - as a common usage of that book.
So, what is the limit, the magic number, that makes it legal? also, please cite the law that states this.

We will not be infringing on any copyright laws, or usage laws by having a group of people watch the video together.
Citation needed.

What is very illegal is what Cal did - post copyright material on youtube that is based on a subscription service.

you might want to sort this out with Cal...
Or maybe you should, Miss Red Herring - I'm discussing your hypocrisy, not Cal's actions...quit whining and moaning about Cal and take responsibility for your own actions. Jeez, you'd think at your age you'd have matured by now.

Really, from somebody who loves to brag about the expensive clothing she buys, this is rather pathetic and hypocritical. So, it's okay to fleece people as long as you're just doing it to get elected? How is Obama not gaining from being elected, foxie? All I see is him on the golf course in the midst of 83% employment. He seems to be doing fine.

He would make more in the private sector - he ran because he wanted to become president and have an impact on how this country is run - he wanted to reform things like healthcare, there is a myraid of reasons people run for office - rarely is it to make money - you can easily make more money in the private sector than you can in the public sector.
So, what is the limit, the magic number, that makes it legal? also, please cite the law that states this.

Citation needed.

Since you write, what I assume is copyrightable material - you might want to brush up on copyright law foss -

As many people as can squeeze into your home can watch a copyrighted video - so long as none of them are paying for the privilege.

Or maybe you should, Miss Red Herring - I'm discussing your hypocrisy, not Cal's actions...quit whining and moaning about Cal and take responsibility for your own actions. Jeez, you'd think at your age you'd have matured by now.

As you can see by current definition of copyright law - a group of people watching copyrighted material in their home, when they have legally bought it or rented it is very legal, so long as no one is charging anyone to view it. Stealing it, putting it on the web for the public to view it is stealing. Copying that stolen material - and making it available to the public - such as Cal did - is also illegal.

I would think that as a 'moderator' he would really want to watch that more closely.

And your hypocrisy is showing foss... I am very much within the law - your comrade in arms is not.

Members online

Back