Wow, it really corners like its on rails!!!

BBoyd

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so ive been reading this and that about how the LS is the best handling sedan on the market, and how it outperforms many similar competitor cars, etc, etc, etc. Well I just happened to stumble across this winding road with a 25mph speed limit (suggested speed to me...) and I decided to try it out. Needless to say I was overjoyed at how well the 3700 lb LS performed. I was zooming through there at 60mph, and it felt like I was going 40!!! I heard the LS could take a few corners, but why didn't you guys tell me it could handle like that!??!? I've really got to find a track or something so I don't get my license ripped up. I know I am not the only one out there who would rather be driving their LS than doing 95% of the other things we do in life! Any other testimonials out there?

:L

you got me :) I take a road with some twistys that's says 45mph I do about 80. :) :) I go there about once a week, sometimes at night. Taking those corners at those speeds is the best adrenaline rush I get in my life.

Now the outsides of all my tires have no tread. But I'm going to get the michelin sport a/s tires over the summer...I heard they'll make the LS handle even better/

people often chuckle when I pull up to the starting gates at an SCCA Auto-Cross event, but are surprised how well the car actually does.

Here's a clip of LS advertisment I keep about the LS handling:

Lincoln LS : Accolades - The 2003 Lincoln LS has better handling performance than the BMW 540i

Lincoln LS V8 outshines
BMW 540i in recent AMCI handling performance tests*

We're excited to announce that the Lincoln LS V8 outperformed the
BMW 540i in recent handling performance tests.* The tests were conducted by Automotive Marketing Consultants Incorporated (AMCI), an independent testing firm that mimics actual driving conditions to accurately compare automobile performance. They compared the handling performance of the 2003 Lincoln LS V8 and the 2003 BMW 540i.

The results? The Lincoln LS V8 out cornered, out slalomed and had better
handling performance than the BMW 540i on both wet and dry pavements.

What's behind this performance? The LS V8's rear-wheel drive, Formula 1 inspired sport-tuned suspension and near 50/50 weight distribution combine to provide excellent road grip and steering control. And the all-speed traction control and speed-sensitive, rack-and-pinion ZF steering system work together to ensure controlled braking, accelerating and cornering in various pavement conditions and emergency driving situations.

AMCI also measured acceleration performance. We always knew the LS V8 was fast, but how about 0-60 mph in 6.42 seconds*? The available 280-horsepower V8 engine with variable cam timing and electronic throttle control guarantees a thrilling performance.

With results like these, it's no wonder the new Lincoln LS is the driver's luxury car.

*AMCI-certified testing of the 2003 Lincoln LS V8 and 2003
BMW 540i.

BBoyd said:
Any other testimonials out there?

Only from passengers. :zgreenbou

"Man this thing really holds the road huh?"

"What kind of car is this again?"

"I wouldn't drive that fast through that section of road in my car"

:Beer :L

I like taking passengers for a ride and driving at or below the speed limit and then hammering it through a turn and then back to driving the speed limit. :biggrin:

Other than the unpleasant experience of hitting a patch of sand while attempting a high speed turn onto a freeway on ramp I've never come close to crossing the line but I've always wondered how difficult the LS is to regain control of once you've lost control.

My only real testimonial is that I recently felt bad I'd never had my LS over 90 mph, so when I was taking a freeway ramp on Friday that was signed for 45 I decided to uncork it, and I went through the curve at 110 and the car was fine. I got a bit concerned when I hit a large expansion joint, but the car was totally unperturbed by it.

I've always wondered how difficult the LS is to regain control of once you've lost control.

Lousey.

It's tough to lose the LS, but once control is lost - it's gone. Just hope you don't hit anything!

Testimonials? How about 25mph ramps at 50mph - and that's on a regular basis. I have chased 2 seperate CTS's (one old style, one new) around on ramps, proving both that my car has more ballz, and better handling.

And like stated above - it's the passengers that tend to be the best judge, most of mine can't believe they're in a 4 door Lincoln doing what most 'sport-compacts' couldn't pull off.

Yes. The LS does handle pretty well. I don't really have to change my driving habits much when coming out of my '95 Mustang. I threw over $1000 in suspension upgrades in the Mustang too. I think I stated it before, but with owning the Mustang and 2 LSs, I have gotten spoiled with the handling. I got in my friends '95 Cobra (beautiful rare black hard top convertible) to take it for a ride and immediately realized that I was spoiled. Back when I still had my Ranger, I was reminded every time of how well my Mustang handled, but not anymore! The LS just handles things well without you really knowing it. The Mustang will remind you that you updated the suspension. I don't believe it to be harsh, as I did use the good Bilsteins, but the LS construction is so much more sturdy that you don't have to go too aggresive to get the job done.

BBoyd said:
Ok, so ive been reading this and that about how the LS is the best handling sedan on the market, and how it outperforms many similar competitor cars, etc, etc, etc. Well I just happened to stumble across this winding road with a 25mph speed limit (suggested speed to me...) and I decided to try it out. Needless to say I was overjoyed at how well the 3700 lb LS performed. I was zooming through there at 60mph, and it felt like I was going 40!!! I heard the LS could take a few corners, but why didn't you guys tell me it could handle like that!??!? I've really got to find a track or something so I don't get my license ripped up. I know I am not the only one out there who would rather be driving their LS than doing 95% of the other things we do in life! Any other testimonials out there?

:L

Get an Addco rear sway bar !!!!!! If you think it handles well now you'll be AMAZED how much better it will handle with a new rear sway bar !!!!!!!!

Cubster said:
Get an Addco rear sway bar !!!!!! If you think it handles well now you'll be AMAZED how much better it will handle with a new rear sway bar !!!!!!!!

why do you say that?

the LS suspension engineers spent a lot of time specifically on oversteer/understeer balancing.

I don't believe there are any afrtermarket option for the LS - I checked the addco applications and none were listed for the LS.

There are 4 options from Lincoln - V6 non-sport, V6 sport, V8 non-sport and V8 sport - all interchangeable. The V6 options are thicker than there V8 counterparts - since the less power of the V6 engine and lighter car resulted in less oversteer than the V8.

Members online

Back