why does my mark not down shift when i hit the gas

silver94

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
My car will not down shift when i get on it. Sometimes it will but i dont think it is going into the right gear but if i do my self it does but not every time.:mad:

a common mark 8 part...

but depending on your mph, pulling the shifter into 1st..may or may not engage first gear.its in the pcm programming

if you have a 93-97 trans... your best suggestion would be to "leave it in D" and let the pcm control the shifts

the early 4r70w's die if you manual shift them

you've been warned

at 37-39mph the car WILL downshift to first gear.
at any speed above that, it will only downshift to 2nd gear

just 1-2 mph makes the difference between hauling AZZ and being a slug

WOT 4 to 1 downshifts will kill your trans, in a very short time.
manually shifting early models trans is also begging for disaster

/\/\/\/\ Everything he said above /\/\/\/\ and I also think that you need a new MLPS and new shift solenoids. MLPS is outside the trans and the solenoids are inside the pan. Two little silver boxes that are made together and are held on with two bolts and plug in. Both are very simple to change.

what the hell is that?

why are you sending me these questions via private message?

its better that you ask questions inside the same thread, so the answers to your questions are available for other/future readers.

MLPS/NSS more commonly known as neutral safety switch and trans range sensor.

IMHO i dont see any malfunction in what you describe.

I have driven the car and it was in drive "d" and does not drop gear at all. The only way to make it drop is to do it manually. This is what he means and does not Know how to word it. So with that said the PRNDL switch on the side of the tranny could be the culprit?

I have driven the car and it was in drive "d" and does not drop gear at all. The only way to make it drop is to do it manually. This is what he means and does not Know how to word it. So with that said the PRNDL switch on the side of the tranny could be the culprit?

damn, THAT makes much more sense.

"possibly" MLPS, yes.

might be TPS which signals when to downshift

or a dirty MAF which calculates load, which signals downshift

It's Tommy's lectures that are for sale lol. Now that it's been worded a little better, I too now think the TPS but I would go for the MLPS first because it's cheap and easy to change. TPS, not so easy and not as cheap.

Tommy, you forgot to describe what a TPS is. Also, where it's located and the bolt size holding the TB down and the two phillips head screws holding it on. A new TB gasket will be needed too.

Tommy, you forgot to describe what a TPS is. Also, where it's located and the bolt size holding the TB down and the two phillips head screws holding it on. A new TB gasket will be needed too.

TAG you're it...slides the babyfood spoon swiftly into your hand and exits stage left

Hey Zach!!!! M.L.P.S. stands for MIGHTY LITTLE PECKER SYNDROME! Sorry to hear that is your problem:(.

I'd measure/monitor tps voltage and verify it goes from idle .9 to 4.99+ at WOT.

since the TPS is PISSER to reach I'd suggest finding the correct wire/pin# at the pcm harness and measure it there, instead of at the TPS sensor itself

do i know what pin#? nope
am i going to spoonfeed that info?? nope

ass

Josh i heard that was your problem! ASS! But thanks for all the info guys i will start trying these things out. Sorry about the pm i am new to this so my bad.

You ass hole
So were do we start hum

You start by not calling people :q:q:q:q:q:q:qs that are answering your stupid newbie questions that have been covered in many threads before you arrived here two months ago.

Calm down Tommy lol, he was talking to Josh, which said he had the little dick syndrome. :) Play nice today.

yea...well after a bunch of PMs from him...then his last snippy reply via PM.

screw being nice...cant believe you even put TOMMY and NICE in the same sentence..LMAO

Members online

No members online now.
Back