what stall?

dnehthend

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been reading all of the torque converter threads I could find, I'm trying to figure out what would be right for my setup.

When gold gets back to $1,900 I plan to cash out and buy some fun things.

Right now I only have 4.30s and a trans cooler.

I plan on headers, jmod, a high stall torque converter.. and accompanying tune

My car is no longer a daily driver but will be driven semi-regularly.

Unfortunately the transmission decided to bleed out in my driveway after sitting for a month. I haven't crawled under there to figure out where exactly it's coming from but I plan to do everything at once.

How high should I go?

I've been reading all of the torque converter threads I could find, I'm trying to figure out what would be right for my setup.

When gold gets back to $1,900 I plan to cash out and buy some fun things.

Right now I only have 4.30s and a trans cooler.

I plan on headers, jmod, a high stall torque converter.. and accompanying tune

My car is no longer a daily driver but will be driven semi-regularly.

Unfortunately the transmission decided to bleed out in my driveway after sitting for a month. I haven't crawled under there to figure out where exactly it's coming from but I plan to do everything at once.

How high should I go?

I too have the 4.30 gears and full bolt-ons. I run a 3800 stall Circle D with a tru cool 40,000#gvw transmission cooler. I drive it daily during the non-wintery months with no issues at all. I would personally go in the 3600-3800stall range. :) Some "converter professionals" have told me that the stall is too high for the street and I have proven them wrong. Your car will kick a$$ at the track with a 3600-3800 stall. :cool:

A trick I learned in Nam was to get the car up to 45mph with the od off. Punch it and whatever rpm the car jumps to before it takes off is what your stall should be. For me it was 3200rpms.

I am looking hard into this as well. when I dive into my 94 I want one sitting on a shelf waiting. 3500 min stall.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/2666361321.html

I have offered this guy $350 for this one. 3500 pi
I just do not see paying $500 for a used converter that I can buy new for $700
by the time i ship it back to pi and have them go through it i will have $700 in it why not just buy new.

A trick I learned in Nam was to get the car up to 45mph with the od off. Punch it and whatever rpm the car jumps to before it takes off is what your stall should be. For me it was 3200rpms.

same with my old muscle car, i pump up brake punch gas and whatever rpm it stops at is stall

I am looking hard into this as well. when I dive into my 94 I want one sitting on a shelf waiting. 3500 min stall.

by the time i ship it back to pi and have them go through it i will have $700 in it why not just buy new.

Edge sells a good converter for a reasonable price. I think my buddy paid $550 shipped for his a couple years ago. Circle D makes an awesome converter, but my 10" stage 2 was like $800. Edge is very comparable in quality from what I've heard. Part of my cost was probably the billet front cover.

The big deal there is that unit is a multi disc converter. They are NOT 700 dollars but 1000 dollars. Single disc is 700 new. Single disc is good to like 450 hp. Multi disc 450 hp and up. Also since thats for a Mustang you will either have to redrill flexplate or get a new one. Different bolt pattern.

Multi disc or not, I'd be very wary about getting a used stall unless I knew the person/history of it well ;)

And for the price zmt325 would pay for the one on craigslist, it's not worth it. $700 can get a very decent street/strip converter brand spankin' new.

For instance:

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=5

Just a little personal experience. They talk about the mild street manners of the Edge converters on their site and they aren't kidding. Someone I know has a 286rwhp built Crown Vic, stage2 cams and every bolt on possible with forged internals. It is a low 13 second car and on the street under mild throttle it feels VERY stock. He also runs low 12s on a 125 shot of nitrous and has had the same converter in his car for 3 years. I expect my Circle D to last a while, but if I stay NA and had the choice next time, I would probably get the Edge just because it's cheaper. If I go power-adder, only then would I reconsider the converter choice.

And for the price zmt325 would pay for the one on craigslist, it's not worth it. $700 can get a very decent street/strip converter brand spankin' new.

Just matters if you need a multi disc or single.
Putting a supercharger on a built motor I would want the multi. A stock DD single disc is cool.

Alot of peeps are hot for it too and he has not answered back in a week now. That is top of line converter for sure. I got ripped on mine jerk said it was multi disc, it was not. But it is ok for DD. The only thing multi disc I heard are little noisy. Discs clanking around in conv.

The smaller converters also benefit in not only being lighter, but holding the mass closer which reduced rotational inertia.

Members online

No members online now.
Back