What did you do to your LS today?

Well,when you got Big Rigs (LOL) all over the place blocking out the SUN,you NEED those big signs. Amelia Island doesn't have a semi problem like Tampa.They do have paper mill trucks,but not that often. don-ohio :)^)

Pit in a new agm battery. Need to clean the trunk out.
977A3A39-80A4-4E3B-BC26-E133D17E373A_zpslemjbnml.jpg

Battery without vent tube connection = really bad idea.

lol, the "sealed" battery myth again...

just for your own info... under certain circumstances, even sealed batteries will vent...

and if that ever does happen... KABOOM!

for instance, when you go to advance auto's website and look at that AutoCraft Platinum 65-AGM Battery, is says that it doesn't fit the LS... the reason for that is not because it doesn't physically fit, but because it does not have a vent and is not safe to mount into the interior cabin of a car...

if I were you, I would take that battery back, punch the kid behind the counter that allowed you to buy it, and get a battery that wont turn your car into an Al-Qaeda special.

I've run agm batteries for years in all my cars. Haven't bad one explode yet. This could be the first. I won't lose sleep over it.

It's your trunk! The area is not vented below the spare tire cover hatch, and Hydrogen is extremely flammable and will explode if your fuse box sparks or the battery cables spark,etc.
Seen a guy lean over a battery smoking a cig and get battery acid blown up into his face when the top blew off the battery.
BUT you've been warned. We were just trying to make sure you didn't get hurt. don-ohio :)Î

^that

It's not about the *battery* suddenly exploding, it's about the hydrogen gas leaking and filling your trunk, potentially turning your LS into a Lincoln Zeppelin

I've run agm batteries for years in all my cars. Haven't bad one explode yet. This could be the first. I won't lose sleep over it.

sounds like the responsible thing to do... I mean, who ever has passengers.... OR should it explode doing down the highway, what are the chances you'll hit someone else?!?!

YOLO right!!!

F*cking people in this world... Its designed for a reason... Its a safety thing... THe correct part is cheaper (and known to last just as long)...

You should check out the exhaust clamp shock braces... they're right up your alley.

Good night all, I have to go drive on a highway in the morning with people like this, im sure!!!

(rant over...do what you like. Im sure you'll be fine (the dumb ones always are))... :cool:

It's your trunk! The area is not vented below the spare tire cover hatch, and Hydrogen is extremely flammable and will explode if your fuse box sparks or the battery cables spark,etc.
Seen a guy lean over a battery smoking a cig and get battery acid blown up into his face when the top blew off the battery.
BUT you've been warned. We were just trying to make sure you didn't get hurt. don-ohio :)Î

Or he gets hit. We had a lead-acid battery blow once. My wife tried to start the car (1991 Sable) and...... BOOM!!!!! Blew the top of the battery!

Replace the cooling fan pump "supply" side line. Whoever had replaced it before used weak fuel hose that kinked in two spots and collapsed. Jackass... Now the fan is cooling fine loud pump grind gone. Cleaned MAF lol found a piece of wasp stuck in the flow wires, and I thought it was completely sealed. Running much better, cleared all codes, drivers window wouldn't go back up, lock it with the fob, waited 8 hours went out and started car and window works just like it should.

How many of these were in the cabin or the trunk? Under the hood, they can safely vent.

The basic rundown is a perfect storm has to happen for a sealed AGM to actually vent gasses. Yes it is possible, alternator/regulator failure resulting in overcharging that went unnoticed could result in toxic/flammable gasses being released. This forum has a fascination with this very rare and yet to be documented scenario in an LS. However, it is worth noting the risk is actually present.

Also any impact to the trunk area, resulting in the battery becoming unsealed - would happen regardless of the battery type. AGM batteries do not have a unique quality of exploding on impact for no reason. The same toxic gasses coming out of an impacted AGM battery will still happen with a lead-acid battery. And actually I would argue the lead-acid battery would be more of a danger after being ruptured due to fluids.

I have ran banks of AGM batteries inside the cabin of vehicles in the past, and currently have one in the trunk of my LS. So unless you have an faulty alternator with a faulty regulator and keep running it that way [unlikely to do in an LS] - then you are going to be fine.

If you look hard enough on your battery, you will probably find a warning sticker about charging in a sealed container - which the trunk would qualify.

The other adverse condition that you left out, is any thing that causes a short on the main battery cables (note that the main cables run all the way from the trunk to the engine). This would cause a high enough discharge current to cause venting. I did see one LS on the side of I10 that was burnt. The trunk and most of the cabin was badly burnt, but the engine/hood area was not. I don't have anything other than what I saw, so I can't say for sure that it was caused by a battery without the vent tube connected, but there aren't too many other likely causes.

Just put the right fvcking battery people. :slap: GEESH......always getting these guys all up in a hissy. I think people come on here to do that sh!t on purpose. :blah:

Guys I didn't intend to cause a big stir on this topic. I was unaware it had been discussed so many times. I have ordered a vent kit for it so if it does bust the safety seals it will have a place to go out of the car.

Also any impact to the trunk area, resulting in the battery becoming unsealed - would happen regardless of the battery type.

At least an impact hard enough to hit a battery would likely also be hard enough to vent your trunk as well

At least an impact hard enough to hit a battery would likely also be hard enough to vent your trunk as well

Probably, unless the impact was to the front or front right of the car and it shorted the positive battery cable to the frame of the car. That would be enough to cause the battery to vent. Actually, you could just hit something with the front right car that could tear out the wheel well cover and snag the main power cable there. Clearly these things don't happen much, but they can happen. There are other safety features on the car that are only for extreme and unlikely events, but you'll want them there if one of those unlikely events should happen to you...

......There are other safety features on the car that are only for extreme and unlikely events, but you'll want them there if one of those unlikely events should happen to you...

Like the fuel cut-off switch, airbags and seat belts...

Like the fuel cut-off switch, airbags and seat belts...

I took those out... have done it to all my cars for years... no problems yet.

Can you post a tool, parts list for this mod and maybe write out a description of the process. What would be even better is a video of how you did it. That way we can all be baller too. I wanna be baller. :bowrofl:

Members online

No members online now.
Back