thinking of buying a 05 CTS 3.6

natural gas

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm currently driving a 2000 Buick Lesabre and a little bored with it. But it has been dependable. I spoke with a gent today who is selling his 05 cts sport pkg with 12k miles on it no winters, he has 5 cars. He wants 18k for it and I feel it is a good deal for a caddy barely broken in. Any thoughts out there? how does the CTS hold up? fun to drive? Etc. Let me know what you think. I haven't been on this forum since I sold my 94 Eldo two years ago.

If you are serious about it, offer him $15k.

If he takes it, you got yourself a good deal. If not, keep looking. They are a very good car from what I hear... although you will find yourself wanting the new body style very soon.

I would try $17,000 I just bought my 04 for that with similar millage a trade in. pending the condition I would think its a good deal. Keep in mind CTS cars don't keep value down the road.

I'm currently driving a 2000 Buick Lesabre and a little bored with it. But it has been dependable. I spoke with a gent today who is selling his 05 cts sport pkg with 12k miles on it no winters, he has 5 cars. He wants 18k for it and I feel it is a good deal for a caddy barely broken in. Any thoughts out there? how does the CTS hold up? fun to drive? Etc. Let me know what you think. I haven't been on this forum since I sold my 94 Eldo two years ago.

I owned an 05 with the sport package and I loved it.

Great car, fantastic motor, absolutely no problems with it at all in 36k miles. Lots of fun to drive fast, very stable at very high speeds and enough room for 4 real adults.

Like the previous poster said, as far as looks are concerned I would have wished I had waited to get the newer body style, but hey, I still loved the car.

18k sounds high, GM offered to let me have mine for 15k a year ago (36k on the clock) but I turned it down. I wanted a bigger vehicle (personal preference) so if it was me I would offer ~16 and see what happens.

Good luck regardless. :)

I had a 2005 CTS luxury sport with all the options and special paint. I liked the car very much and bought another. Depending on how its equipped it might be worth that. Mine was loaded and mine sold for $21,995 on the dealers lot back in March 09 with 29,500 miles. They allowed me 15,900 on trade. Sticker was 44,+ new but I paid a lot less when I bought it. I agree though, they don't have any resale value. A few months back the local Dodge dealer was selling a nice low mileage 2007 basic 2.8L engine, no sunroof or polished wheels for $16,999. I called them for a friend and the salesman on the phone said they would deal on that price, friend did not buy it because is was a basic low option car.

Agree with above poster - $15k-$16k is a decent deal, $18k is on the high side

The car overall isn't bad, but the drivetrain is fraught with problems... that particular (interference) motor has a timing chain problem, where it'll either jump a tooth (or a few) or otherwise break early, usually between 60k-100k miles. Some cars, not all cars, but often enough to be something to think about.

Also, the rear differential can be quite noisy and wear out rather early.

Aside from the two above issues, not much for grave concern. Minor issues include significant oil consumption (could be as bad as 1 quart per 1000 miles - about what mine drinks), rubber coupling (guibo joint) failure*... nothing electrical or body-related, AFAIK.

* BMW supplies an exact replacement part so you don't have to buy the whole driveshaft from Cadillac to replace the rubber coupling

BTW, I would rate the auto as better driving than the manual, if you leave the stock tune. The engine is not programmed for spirited driving, so if you like rev-matching on upshifts, you're going to have to wait an eternity or slip the clutch and suffer the clunks. Did I mention that the manual transmission likes to clunk a lot?

This thread is 2 years old... rookie!
Your kind words for me or for the other post that were less than 2 weeks old?

I sold my LS and bought a CTS and was just trying to find something on the CTS but this forum is all about Lincolns.

Members online

No members online now.
Back