Supercharged Ls V8

looks good quik.. i have a new respect for you.. excellent pics too, i've been losing sleep about "charging" my 2000 for awhile... super coupe setup looks like the way in.. no room for an ATI procharger up there in front...did you build that all yourself?? it should sound sweet too!!!! get-er-done...

update...

- got the oil filler neck redirected
- built the upper rad hose, installed
- dropped the SC and plenums into the manifold

good news - the stock wiring for the IAC valve and TPS fit even though the throttle body is in a total different location....

more to come.

upper rad.jpg

oil filler neck.jpg

SC laying on manifold.jpg

GAS IT UP!! TURN IT ON!! AND VROOOOOM!!!!!

Come on quik.. you know that's what you want to say.. Thats what we want to hear!

no - not yet....

- measure and find a belt
- build a lower rad hose
- build some misc clips, hold downs, ...etc
- hook up all the various vacuum lines
- install the new boost gauge
- install new accelerator cables
- build new air take tube
- re-fill the coolant
- load a new tune

what are you doing for fuel? bigger injectors and a program??

Actually, you're pretty far then. Glad to hear you're making progress. It looks great. I'm a little confused on the intake tubing to the S/C though..It looks like it comes from both sides and goes into the back??

Where's the accelerator cable from?

-Matt

PS No word from SCT yet - they're at SEMA, so I can't check what I would like to..

beaups said:
what are you doing for fuel? bigger injectors and a program??

not bigger injectors yet - going to see if we can tune without first

mdrobnak said:
Actually, you're pretty far then. Glad to hear you're making progress. It looks great. I'm a little confused on the intake tubing to the S/C though..It looks like it comes from both sides and goes into the back??

Where's the accelerator cable from?

-Matt

PS No word from SCT yet - they're at SEMA, so I can't check what I would like to..

the throttle is on the inlet plenum, that goes in the back intake port of the SC, the compressed air comes out the top, then is routed back into the outlet plenum and down into the intake manifold.

Once I get it going, I'll cut the tubing form the top of the SC to the outlet plenum - the intercooler will go in-line there. I plan to use a standard front-mount and run tubes back up.

the accelerator cable is form a SC T-bird.

Thats an interesting idea (the intercooler) - on my cobra, it's Air/Water with the heat exchanger up front...Is there enough room for all this tubing?

-Matt

nOObe questions on the SC install

First a little background, I was a car audio installer for 15 years and have a EET degree from Devry and a racing background (Karts, Pony Stocks, And Sprint Cars). I currently work for Arrow Speed Warehouse in KC. I couldn't get away from the "need for speed" in my blood. I come from from the land of Pontiac. To be exact, my last car was a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix V6 3.8 SC. I know you guys are saying V6? Well, now a 12 second V6 Grand Prix is only good enough to get you in the top 50 fastest GPs. You guys can see my last car (My she RIP)here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/294506 . So you can see I'm not new to the Mod Bug. BTW The SRI in the mods is Schmidt Racing Industries (ME). The 13.65 was with only 1.9 rockers, a 3.4" pulley, and a DHP PCM added. Everything else was stock! Not bad from a grocery getter!! I never got a chance to get to the track after my monster mods. Anyway the Grand Prix 3.8 also uses the M90. I know I'm new here and have ALOT of learning to do. So excuse me if I sound stupid in the LS world. I used Digital Horse Power Inc (DHP) for my tuning. Unfortunately they are GM guys. The software is a programmer/editor/scanner called PowrTuner. Its similar to HP Tuners or LS1 edit only far better.

So my 1st question is:

Quik,
Have you done any porting to the SC? I ported my SC inlet to accept my 75.5mm LS1 TB and LS6 MAF. I also ported the outlet. Porting the outlet really helped lower outlet temps and ward off the KR monster. I know you are intercooled but anything helps in that department.

Next, is the Intercooler air to air or air to water?

And Lastly:

I was wondering if anyone in the LS world makes a tuner package for a laptop? The PowrTuner gave us unlimited access to tuning perameters. I could change over 220 different perameters in my tune. It also has a scanner similar to A-Tap so I could also monitor anything I wanted to for tuning.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm just excited to see the SC for the LS!!

Yes -
- my Eaton M90 is slightly 'race ported' - Geoff Knight is one of the best in the business. He can do much much more if needed.

one of the reasons we went this direction is that there is an aftermarket of these parts -> http://www.magnumpowers.com/sc_idx.html for example. Quick, easy, cheap bolt-ons for more power.

The callenge is that we can get all the hp the stock internals can handle without too much special.

- I was planning a simple front-mount air-to-air since I'm only running 5psi. Once we get that working, changing the pulley moving up to 8psi and a better intercooling solution 'should' work. We have already worked with Snow Performance http://www.magnumpowers.com/sc_idx.html

- the new Ford PCM currently can only be tuned by the SCT XCalibrator (www.sctflash.com). They sell their software to 'tuners' that then sell their tuning services to you and I - using the XCal to upload the tunes to the car. The XCal has some 'basic' adjustability by the end user. SCT does have a 'Pro Racer Package' that is the same software used by the Tuners, but it is VIN locked to only one car - so you can do all your own tunes.

Hey,
THANKS for answering my post!!
I really look forward to becomming an active member of this site.

:gr_hail: if this all works out good, i will be doing this for a few days... keep me posted

Here's this weekend's update:

- finished the upper and lower rad hoses
- finished the vacuum lines (evaporator canister purge line, full load vacuum line, fuel pressure regulator)
- blocked the egr value vacuum
- installed the boost gauge map sensor, boost/vacuum lines, the bypass valve
- installed (modified) the air inlet tubing

What's left:
- measure and find a belt
- accelerator cables
- passenger crankcase vent tube
- installing the boost gauge in the car
- reassemble... all the trim, vents, ...etc
- refill coolant, bleed
- tune
- troubleshoot, troubleshoot, ....

stage2.jpg

rad hoses.jpg

stage3.jpg

stage3 covers.jpg

not yet - the plan is to get it working like this - then add the IC. It's goning to be a standard simple front mount.

Wow that is pretty stealthy with the cover on... (I have mine off, I never really liked it...)

It's a little weird not discharging right into the manifold, like most roots setup, but looks promising. Couldn't we use an air-water like with the 03 Cobras?

-Matt

PGA2B said:
Do you have pics of the intercooler and piping?

Here's a pic of what it could look like - it's a T-bird SC that we are copying....

harms2.jpg

mdrobnak said:
It's a little weird not discharging right into the manifold, like most roots setup, but looks promising.

-Matt

It the same OE setup Ford used on the 89-95 Ford Thunderbird SC / Mercury Cougar XR7.

The Air-Water would work - but is more $$ and needs more room on the intake.

have you considered alky instead of a front mount. It will be enough even for the 8 lbs of boost. I ran a powerstroke truck front mount and alky/water injection in my ranger, and it ran 28-30 psi all day long on pump gas.... Blower outlet temps will be lower than my turbo outlet temps too, especially at 8 lbs of boost. When I first got my truck runnig, I was running around at 9 psi non intercooled, I noticed very little difference when I got my front mount in. It was clearly noticeable once I turned the boost up though.... You wouldnt have to worry about piping or anything, I just made a homebrew kit with a mcmaster nozzle, a 12v solonoid, a shurflo pump, some line, a relay and a hobbs switch.... Total cost was under 150 bucks.... I just ran straight $.50 cent wal mart washer fluid and I loved it

yep - infact that is the plan once we go up to 8lbs.

Initially we are starting at 5lbs - get it working then start changing up pieces.

The only problem with that is the washerfluid will strip the Teflon on the Supercharger Rotors
I found that out the hardway in my Grand Prix:Bang . I guess the Cam and the other Mods made up for it though:steering

PGA2B said:
I found that out the hardway in my Grand Prix:Bang . I guess the Cam and the other Mods made up for it though:steering

That is very true. Alchohol is VERY corrosive. But if you're interested in that system, take a look at Snow Performance. They make some amazing kits.

Quik...I've been looking at your pulleys and I'll be damned if I can see how the belt will route. You need to make sure you get quite a bit of wrap around the s/c pulley or it will slip. At 5 lbs of boost, you won't have much problem. But at 8, you could see some slip. One other suggestion I might make. Since I own an 04 Cobra, I'm pretty familiar with this type of power adder. One thing us Terminator owners have discovered is how poor the factory idlers are. There are many Cobra owners who have had the idlers literally explode. I might suggest you give Doug at Billetflow (www.billetflow.com) a call. He makes an incredible set of idlers and it wouldn't surprise me if they wouldn't bolt right up. He has different sizes too...I'm guessing the 92mm ones are what you would want. He has several different colors that are powder coated...they really look slick!! He also has the best damn customer service I have ever seen by anyone anywhere. Give him a call and see what he says!

Members online

No members online now.
Back