Sudden Acceleration?

BadinBlack

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any 1998-02 Lincoln Continental owners on this forum have experienced or know what could be causing the following problems. I have an 01 Continental, since buying it from a used car dealership a couple weeks ago I have noticed that 1) There's a whining sound coming from either the power steering or some other mechanical component that you can clearly hear from inside when driving, it seems to be getting louder, 2) when I'm idling I now notice a constant vibration, it's not huge but you can definitely feel it and 3) often times when I startup my car and shift into drive for whatever reason the car accelerates by itself, it can cruise between 10 & 25 mph without gas being touched, above 25 mph you have to push the gas. I'm thinking this could be a transmission or loose motor mount issue but I'm not sure. My last car was a beatup 96 Taurus with very loose motor mounts and it also accelerated by itself. Will be having my Cont inspected by a mechanic soon. If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing these issues let me know, thanks. ** There are no service this part soon warning lights coming on from the dashboard.

1 and 2 sound like power steering pump to me. I do get a very small, feels like a "gritty" vibration that emits from my failing power steering pump. Check your power steering fluid. I'm not too sure about the continental, but my LS has a cable controlled throttle. If yours is the same, it may be a sticking throttle link or the throttle body itself. I wouldn't be surprised if they reused the one from the old motor without cleaning it out first.

Members online

No members online now.
Back