Subs - 2 or 4 OHMS?

JPsBored

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Alpine SWR-1242D TYPE-R 12 4 ohm subs
and the SWR-1222D 12" Type R 2 ohm

What is better the 2 or 4 ohm subs and why?

neither is "better". 2 ohm will draw more power if your amp can handle a 2 ohm load. many amps though can NOT handle 2 ohms when running in bridged mode so you really just need to check your amps specs. Keep in mind if you are going to run 2 subs and want to run a 2 channel amp bridged (and your amp is 2 ohm OK) then you should get 2 4 ohm subs and wire them in parallel to generate a 2 ohm load. If you are getting a 4 channel amp to run 2 bridged channels (and it's 2 ohm OK) get a pair of 2 ohm subs and run one off each bridged channel.

and to further complicate things if you want 2 speakers and have a 2 channel amp that can only handle 4 ohms in bridged mode, get 2 2 ohm subs and wire them in series to generate a 4 ohm load. there is RARELY a logical reason NOT to run an amp in bridged mode to drive subs.

Do you have an amp already? Or at least one picked out? And are those subs SVC or DVC?

The subs are DVC, Depending on what amp your using to power and what the amp is stable too...If you have a class d that is 1ohm stable youd want the dual 4 ohm version, if you have an amp that is only stable to 2ohm youd use the dual 2ohm sub...My alpine amp is 1000watts into 2 ohm therefore i bought the dual 2ohm subs wired each in series and into the amp is a 2ohm load...

Sounds good,, and thanks for all the info.

I guess a 2ohm amp into 2 2ohm subs is what we will do.

Members online

Back