Starter Question

Sifrino3

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Im checking out Ebay and it seems its all about mini starts. They say, save on weight and get a hi torque starter. Anyone buy one of these starters?

My starter has been bad since I have owned the car and now its been even worse since I moved the battery to the rear. And now with pulley's coming into the picture. I feel like it will get even worse.

Since I am in the mood to make my car more reliable. (New belt and braided radiator hoses, that have been bought. Hi heat from the headers. Is also another worrie.) I figure I should buy a new starter. I should also think of getting a 3G Alt. Thats another one of my worries with the pulley's. . .

Thanks,
Ramsey

P.S. Maybe I can find a RED starter. hahaha

this is in the mark 7? What is the starter doing that you suspect it is bad?

Sifrino3 said:
...My starter has been bad since I have owned the car and now its been even worse since I moved the battery to the rear. And now with pulley's coming into the picture. I feel like it will get even worse.

Bottom line, its a Ford starter. That's not necessarily good to begin with.

Moving the battery to the rear increased the battery cable length causing a higher voltage drop and subsequent higher amperage draw. Bad news on the horizon.

If it's original, be proactive and replace it at the earliest convenience before it leaves you stranded. I'm not sure of the new 'hi-torque' starters, but a heat shield kit will help protect it from the headers.

The pulleys will not have anything to do with the starter directly. But it will be tougher to keep the battery up, especially with it in the rear. BTW, bigger battery cables and starter cables will minimize the voltage drop I mentioned. Solder the terminals on if possible.

Where do you have the ground cable from the battery going? This is very important as well since the starter grounds through the engine block. You need a good direct ground from the engine block to the battery - or the starter will not perform as well.

Well, I just bought a regular one. Used only twice and for $40. I thought it was a good deal. Atleast the car will start on the first crank! Although I kinda liked how it started. Coz it sounded like a muscle car. Didn't know if it would start, "FEELING." But when it started up. Get out da way!

Members online

Back