Smashed Exhaust and Emission

medphys

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So, its been a year since my BIL visited and we all went out to eat and I ran over a "high Spot" in the parking lot of a gas station. The normal rumble increased negligibly and I had no other driving issues. But, I knew something was jarred loose. A year later and a good 8K miles and I am showing PO 430. Before jumping right on to O2 sensors or cat issues , I wanted to take it into the muffler shop and ck out just what came loose. The diagnosis is a smashed cat conv., x-pipe , 2 x 12 resonator and muffler. Everything was pushed "up". They want to charge $980 and I took the estimate home with me. I was told that something had broken off and was pushed into the Muffler? I swear the car has been running typically smooth and fine, I did change the radiator out a couple of months ago, but nothing but the PO 430 since. What are my best options at this point. I do not have the magnaflow, just stock '06 exhaust. Thanks.

I know a few people in my local LS group bought aftermarket converters but it's hit or miss....some work others not so much and the CEL light stayed on. In my area you almost need stock to pass the Emissions test required every 2 years. Just getting into an LS though so my knowledge is limited on any newer work arounds others have tried.

P0430 is an emissions code, not necessarily a car performance code. Your LS probably does run fine. P0430 is telling on you that your car is polluting too much for Big Brother's taste.

P0430 is an emissions code, not necessarily a car performance code. Your LS probably does run fine. P0430 is telling on you that your car is polluting too much for Big Brother's taste.

Well, I am in Louisiana so.....no emissions tests. But, the tech explained to me that something was broken off in the system and will eventually clog the system, causing the car to shut down and lope. I always use motorcraft parts and was really looking for any tips on the resonator, x-pipe and muffler replacement. Is there something in either the resonator or cat that could have broken off? BTW, I hear that Big Brother has stopped dating the EPA.

Members online

No members online now.
Back