Remove Rear Hub?

luttersj

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was in the process of changing my rotors/pads today and I snapped off one of the rear wheel studs. Just by looking at it, in order to replace that stud, I'll have to remove the hub. How do I do that? Is it as simple as backing off the nut in the center of the hub or will I be elbow deep in axle grease with bearings on the garage floor?

FYI: "hub" is too short for the search engine...

You should be able to do that without removing the hub. Though you'll need a special tool to press the stud out. It looks like a C clamp with a U in the flat end.
s6x~us~en~file=st1494a.gif~gen~ref.gif

Removal

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .

2. Remove the rear brake disc. For additional information, refer to Section 206-04 .

NOTE: If necessary, cut off one inch of the stud to ease removal.
Using the special tool, press the wheel stud out of the rear hub between the caliper mounting pads.
* Discard the wheel stud. Do not reuse wheel studs.
s6x~us~en~file=n0005110.gif~gen~ref.gif

Installation

CAUTION: Never use air tools to install wheel studs. The serrations can be stripped from the stud.

1. If necessary, grind the head of a new wheel stud to a "D" shape to clear the wheel knuckle.

2. Position the new wheel stud into the hub flange, making sure the serrations on the stud are aligned with the serrations in the flange.

3. Install the wheel stud.
1. Place 4 flat washers on the wheel stud.

NOTE: Do not use the wheel nuts that came with the vehicle.
Thread a standard wheel nut onto the wheel stud with the flat side against the washers.
3. Tighten the wheel nut until the wheel stud head seats against the hub flange.

4. Remove the wheel nut and washers.

5. Install the rear brake disc. For additional information, refer to Section 206-04 .

Yeah, I looked at that page, too. However, when I look at the hub/axle it just doesn't look like there's enough clearance to get a new stud through there. The axle sort of flares out as it gets away from the hub and I don't think I'd be able to get the stud through. I don't have a stud right now or I'd try it.

I'm hoping that someone has successfully done a stud replacement on the rear end and can confirm or deny that I need to remove the hub to get the job done.

As for the C clamp. I read that you don't want to pound on the hub/stud since it could damage the bearings behind it. Thus the clamp to push it out. But I'm hoping that I can figure out a way to do it without having to buy the clamp as I'm sure I'll never use it again....

Members online

No members online now.
Back