random ?

1995 Mark VIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1995 Mark VIII with cobra wheels and no mufflers and everyone seems to want to try and race me. Is there much that this car could lose too?? I'm still new to this car and was just wondering. One of my friends has a 1994 Ford Tarus SHO with a 5 speed and another has a 1991 Toyota MR2 with a 5 speed and they think it will beat my Mark, I highly doubt they can but I'm not sure.

Thanks, Vic

The Mark VIII is a decently quick car, but most modern performance cars and even some cars you'd least expect are faster.

My friend has a 5 speed 2000 Mustang GT, stock it beats my chipped Mark no problem.

Ours cars weight in at ~3750 lbs and have tall gear ratios.

So to answer your question, there are lots of cars that can beat ours. 18 Years of technology to go faster I would hope so..

Well lets say the Mark was rolling at 45 and then stepped on it?? Would it beat more cars and from just a dead stop??

I have a 1995 Mark VIII with cobra wheels and no mufflers and everyone seems to want to try and race me. Is there much that this car could lose too?? I'm still new to this car and was just wondering. One of my friends has a 1994 Ford Tarus SHO with a 5 speed and another has a 1991 Toyota MR2 with a 5 speed and they think it will beat my Mark, I highly doubt they can but I'm not sure.

Thanks, Vic

Your Mark VIII wil probably go faster than either of those and is faster than almost everything out there. Mine does an honest, just under 140 mph, or about 220 kmh.

Your Mark VIII wil probably go faster than either of those and is faster than almost everything out there. Mine does an honest, just under 140 mph, or about 220 kmh.

Who cares if it goes 140 mph. You can't go that fast with your overdrive off anyways and that has nothing to do with how quick a Mark8 is.

Gear at 45 is terrible, a town car will keep up. Don't think a Mark VIII is a quick car in today's standards. Highway is probably where it could beat or keep up with 60-70% of the cars on the road today. Same goes for a roll start at 30ish. Best is to race and find out but I wouldn't act like it's a fast car, fun for sure. Mid range cars like a regular 3 series, g35, e350 is the range of these cars where it comes down to the driver in a spontaneous street race.

Who cares if it goes 140 mph. You can't go that fast with your overdrive off anyways and that has nothing to do with how quick a Mark8 is.

I do. You don't like to go fast? It is kinda scary, but funnnnn.

He may not be quicker but he probably is faster. I'm not sure but do you think the OD is cheating or something? I mean these cars are meant to go fast. As long as you are the one in front, that's all that really matters.

I do. You don't like to go fast? It is kinda scary, but funnnnn.

He may not be quicker but he probably is faster. I'm not sure but do you think the OD is cheating or something? I mean these cars are meant to go fast. As long as you are the one in front, that's all that really matters.

I think what he is trying to say is you can have a top speed of a rocket ship but it won't lead you to win anything if it takes you 3 days to get there. I've never had a race lead me to past 110ish.

SHO maybe. my brothers 92 ran a little slower than me, but i have mods. now his 89 is much quicker than the 92 and keeps up/stays ahead of me. and is even quicker now than it was last race.
if you can launch well and get the SHO out of the hole, you stand a much better chance. the SHO isn't good at launching. but neither is the mark really. too much gear. too low stall.

mr2 really doesn't have much to bring to the table. they are light, but 135 hp isn't much.

if you go from a roll, do it around 30 and in manual first. you can put the 4.6 right in the power band for a good jump. then hope he can't play catch up. OD and TC off of course.

running flat out in overdrive will just burn up your trans. it is a big no no in a 4r70w.

today's accord and altima can run a mid to low 14 sec quarter. plenty of modded marks can't even do that.

we were quick in the mid 90s, but that day has passed.

I think what he is trying to say is you can have a top speed of a rocket ship but it won't lead you to win anything if it takes you 3 days to get there. I've never had a race lead me to past 110ish.

Umm if you are faster you will win. I am talking the highway here and i like to leave em' in the dust. I will take my chances with the tranny.

The last go I had started at 100 mph.

Have some mods done to mine cobra rear end its a locker of course. It lets me get out of the hole better but again the marks are a lot of weight to get going but once they r going look out. I think the marks body lines and looks make up for the whole shot. As mentioned before we where fast in the 90's so if these guys wanna race have them bring a 90's model car to the race that is what u r bringing to the table and even if u loose wont b by much.I mean a 20 yr old kid races a 40ish old man and only wins by a couple of feet we would b laughing at the 20 yr old kid get what I'm saying that kid should have just left the guy.

When it comes to a street car..being fast is all about launching it from a dead stop or a slow roll, most of the time races you will encounter will be from a stoplight to maybe 50 mph tops..top end means nothing in a street race unless you do nothing but highway driving. Stock Mark viiis aren't known for brutal accelleration, hell you'll be lucky to be able to spin the tires in 1st gear. Todays average cars are packing 250-300hp stock from a v6 so that just goes to show you what you're up against..in its heyday the mark viii was one of the quicker cars on the street, but now its just average. That's why gears and a converter are a must if you want to have a faster "seat of the pants" feel.

Umm if you are faster you will win. I am talking the highway here and i like to leave em' in the dust. I will take my chances with the tranny.

The last go I had started at 100 mph.

Faster does not equal quicker. Get it? And go right ahead. That's even more stupid on a pre-98 transmission like you have that has an even smaller overdrive band. :rolleyes:

And if you think being faster means you will win, try going to the 1/4 mile track sometime and getting to 140mph. I can guarantee your car will be buried in the treeline in about 6 billion pieces long before it hits 140mph. LOL

Faster does not equal quicker. Get it? And go right ahead. That's even more stupid on a pre-98 transmission like you have that has an even smaller overdrive band. :rolleyes:

And if you think being faster means you will win, try going to the 1/4 mile track sometime and getting to 140mph. I can guarantee your car will be buried in the treeline in about 6 billion pieces long before it hits 140mph. LOL

Boy. If you are racing with an agreed course and time of coarse you are right. If you are talking about the highway the fastest guy wins.

Capiche?

last time I raced it was against some dude in a loud CJ7 from a dead stop on the green light. I won the race but the cop caught me anyways. He checked that i was sober, told me racing is a trip straight to jail and someone has to post $1k to get me out; then I drove home...I've been in jail enough already..I don't race :D...but I do know that after my xcal2 tune it runs much better in 3rd, around that 35-55 range
---
...why is running wide open in o.d bad?

Boy. If you are racing with an agreed course and time of coarse you are right. If you are talking about the highway the fastest guy wins.

Capiche?

No. Because if the other guy has a speed limiter that kicks in at a lower speed than yours but he got to that speed first, he is still quicker than you. Fast does nothing for me because I've only gone past 150 only once for testing purposes. I can't go any faster than 130mph in 3rd gear and I'm certainly not going to risk my transmission or life using your line of judgment. So you must be one of those butthurt guys that is into ricer flybys. Don't lie. :p

No. Because if the other guy has a speed limiter that kicks in at a lower speed than yours but he got to that speed first, he is still quicker than you. Fast does nothing for me because I've only gone past 150 only once for testing purposes. I can't go any faster than 130mph in 3rd gear and I'm certainly not going to risk my transmission or life using your line of judgment. So you must be one of those butthurt guys that is into ricer flybys. Don't lie. :p

So aggressive, are all you high gear guys so sensitive?

I guess when you put all your effort into acceleration, a practice I think a bit wasted on Mark VIIIs, someone who can just run away is a real pain.

LOL.

why is running wide open in o.d bad?

Because you are engaging overdrive at a very high speed which is not good for the band. You are relying on that band to hold the transmission in overdrive at a high rate of speed and it could potentially snap at any point at those speeds and your overdrive will go bye-bye.

So aggressive, are all you high gear guys so sensitive?

I guess when you put all your effort into acceleration, a practice I think a bit wasted on Mark VIIIs, someone who can just run away is a real pain.

LOL.

Yeah, why would I want a heavy 4000# car to accelerate better. Who does that:rolleyes:

And just FYI, even with 4.30 gears my car has no problem going 150mph if I wanted to risk the overdrive band. The same risks apply whether you have stock gearing or "wasted" 4.30 gears. My car is actually faster with steep gears and a tune than it was with highwsy gears. :rolleyes:

high speed meaning...??? > 80, 100, 120?

ANY wot it should be turned off. Any maintained speeds beyond 100mph in my opinion it should be turned off. Cops do it all the time with the Crown Vics in high speed pursuits because of the same reason.

I have never and I will never baby any of my stuff for fear it will break. If it breaks the next bit will be considerably stronger than the bit that broke.

I put Z tires on all my cars and they are on this one too. I like to go fast. My Cutlass would do over 160 but was very scary over 140. My Mark is sweet at 140 and a pleasure to drive. It's true I need to spend quite a bit more money to do that regularly.

I only entered this thread to encourage the OP that although his car might not be all that quick it was still pretty fast. The reaction to this FACT is all bonus.

Pen Gun...it's simple..what is the speed your car sees the MAJORITY of the time? on average, 35-40 mph probably? low end hp and torque is what you want with a street car..that is what you "feel" when accellerating, who cares about the top end speed limit that your mark viii can reach after god knows how long with your foot to the floor on the highway?? by the time you even reach 110 mph you're probably just about hitting the traffic ahead of you anyway or your competitor is exiting the highway. I would rather have a quick car off the line with good mid range power than something that screams on the top end but can't move out of it's own way from a stop.

Members online

No members online now.
Back