Power steering fluid leak?

SoulSoak

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just went out for break and noticed a very small puddle under my car. The underside of the boot that covers the inner driver side tie rod is wet. Doesn't appear ripped or torn. The top side of the boot is dry. Any guesses? Heading back into work floor now, will check back soon for advice. Thanks.

Also, fluid tastes bitter. I know brake fluid tastes bitter but never tasted power steering fluid. Anyhow, any advice welcome. Thanks

Could be a leaking seal on the rack.

If that's the case, is it something I can do? (Relatively mechanically inclined). Honestly I believe that's what it is, but I'll know more once I get under the car. If it is a seal, is it as simple as removing the inner/outer tie rod assembly and changing the seal? Or should I just say the hell with it and bring it to the dealer?

Rebuilding a rack is a relatively serious task. Rebuilt units are readily available (at least in the US). Can't speak to the difficulty of the R&R, but should be relatively straight forward. Check the service manual.

20160322_154923.jpg

Don't know how well you can see this, tried to take decent pic. It appears to me that it's leaking from this hose here. Right where the rubber part meets the metal. It then drips and the air blow by while driving throws it up at the bottom of the tie rod boot.

This hose appears to connect to the rack via a bolt bracket on drivers side, then runs up along the side of the engine. I haven't had time to see its entire route, but I will. Would this be hard to replace or should I just take the car in?

20160322_154923.jpg

I've heard of a number of the high pressure switches (should be on that hose) that start leaking. If so, it should be a relatively easy and cheap fix to replace it. If it is the hose itself, then it is a bit more expensive.

... Anyhow, any advice welcome. Thanks

Stop digesting automotive fluids?

It'll all be OK in the end, if it's not OK, it's not the end just yet!
After completing one repair it's not time to put the tools away just yet.

I've heard of a number of the high pressure switches (should be on that hose) that start leaking. If so, it should be a relatively easy and cheap fix to replace it. If it is the hose itself, then it is a bit more expensive.

Okay. So if my recent discovery proves to be correct, then I can just say that owning a Lincoln LS has brought upon me a case of acute paranoia.

I did some more investigating, tasting (I know Rig, I know), and thinking trying to reinact how things would flow from a leak point, and things weren't adding up. So I got up from under the car and did some searching from above the bay, found the pressure switch under the air box as well as the one under the car, both were dry.

For some reason I must really love my LS sexually because something told me to open the P/S reservoir and taste it. I did. It's not bitter at all, just tastes like oil or tastless lubricant. Now I was scratching my head.

Crawled back under car, started it up and had my son turn the wheel back and forth for a minute to see if some power steering system pressure would force the leak to show itself. Nothing. Then all of a sudden it hit me.

I remember when I just did my full brake job not long ago, I did spill a little bit of brake fluid on the master cylinder reservoir. So I checked the travel path and sure enough... it dripped from the back of the master cylinder, on to the P/S hose, caught wind from driving and coated up the underside of the tie rod boot, then dripped down the back of the trailing arm that runs along the bottom of the frame. I'm glad I put this together, talk aboit a cheap fix for once lol.

When I found the leak in the parking lot this afternoon, it wasn't really wet. My paranoia had me going there. I park in the same spot everyday away from other employww cars, so I know it was from my car. I just didn't notice it until today. Yeah Rig, I tasted it too lol.

Anyhow thanks for the help guys, cheers !!

` May all our troubles vanish so easily' said Sherlock Holmes. Glad it wasn't the rack! don-ohio :)^)

Sherlock Holmes? No, I'm pretty sure we found Steve Irwin, running around tracking down animals by tasting the dung and wet spots he finds

If you need help getting your jollies, I have a whole driveway full of random unidentified fluid spots I could use some help with. Some are even from my LS ;)

I usually pay others to taste my fluids!

Man, go to work a couple of days, come back and everyone's getting all kinky, licking their driveways and giving their cars head. Now I think I need to put some real effort into getting my car sold, before it starts looking like a San Francisco leather convention around here.

wham-image-2-462817712.jpg

After completing one repair it's not time to put the tools away just yet.

yeah, I stopped putting the tools away, I just left them laid out on the work bench so tomorrow I can start fixing something else!

Members online

Back