Oil pan\gasket\plug replacement?

SultanGris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Where's the best place to procure these items? Too many visits to quick change oil places has rendered my plug leaky. Threads are getting bad. Thanks.

The oil pan on the V8 is super easy to replace. You don't even have to move anything out of the way, just put the car up on ramps.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Install a new oil pan gasket, oil pan and 17 bolts.
  • Tighten the bolts in the sequence shown in 2 stages.
    • Stage 1: Tighten to 5 Nm (44 lb-in).
    • Stage 2: Tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft).

• s6x~us~en~file=n0033478.gif~gen~ref.gif

The oil pan on the V8 is super easy to replace. You don't even have to move anything out of the way, just put the car up on ramps.
Yeah when I bought the car the oil pan gasket was leaking pretty bad, I tightened the bolts a little and it stopped. Unfortunately my plug threads are getting stripped and it's leaking there now, just a few drops overnight but next oil change I want a new pan for sure.

I would spend the $$$ and get the pan from Ford. The steel in the aftermarket pans probably isn't the same quality... and the plug hole threads will most likely strip easier.

Any quality pan gasket from an aftermarket manufacturer, (Fel-Pro, Victor, Mahle), should be good. Just make sure you don't get a cork version.

Anyone have a good source for those parts? Was looking at Ford parts giant but I'm not sure if the oil pan comes with gasket and plug, their description is unclear, thanks.

Anyone have a good source for those parts? Was looking at Ford parts giant but I'm not sure if the oil pan comes with gasket and plug, their description is unclear, thanks.

Usually, it would not.

Rock Auto is my "go to" place for aftermarket parts. Simple website. Search by make, model, year... and engine.

Stay away from the cheap stuff... and buy name brand parts. IIRC... Ford used the same drain plug for most of their vehicles... My '95 F150 drain plug swaps with a few other Fords I have owned.

Just be glad you don't have an aluminum pan like the Escape V6 has. I had to heli-coil my son's pan when he stripped the threads in the pan.

FPG or Tasca are good for OEM stuff when ordering online.

Make friends with the parts manager at your local dealer. They have me set up for an automatic 20% (or more) discount... but I've been buying parts from them for 20+ years.

Sometimes Tasca and FPG are slighly cheaper... but my local dealer can get parts same day... or within 3 days.

You might also check with Jaguar. They typically do include the gaskets and probably would the oil plug too.

the aj shares the m12x1.75 plug with a bunch of ford engines, easily found at autozone. they were probably forced to do it, the engine it replaced had a m20x2.5 plug with a 30mm head.

oil pan gasket is mahle os32287. sometimes they make it too long.

oil filter housing seal is B31935

Last edited:
Rock Auto is my "go to" place for aftermarket parts. Simple website. Search by make, model, year... and engine.

Stay away from the cheap stuff... and buy name brand parts. IIRC... Ford used the same drain plug for most of their vehicles... My '95 F150 drain plug swaps with a few other Fords I have owned.

Just be glad you don't have an aluminum pan like the Escape V6 has. I had to heli-coil my son's pan when he stripped the threads in the pan.
Yeah that's normally where I get stuff too, they don't have much OEM stuff for the LS anymore though. So I've been getting them from Ford parts giant and some other place I forget off the top of my head right now.

definitely don’t forget the oil filter housing seal by the way

as these cars get older it’s a more and more common failure

Members online

No members online now.
Back