Official Plasti-Dip Thread

I want this color dip immediately.

396158_528632780485783_1187091137_n.jpg

that color would be sick on an LS.

and I thought you were talking to DYC to get a custom color, no?

anyway, who's going to be the first to dip their whole car? I had planned to do mine in matte black for this winter, since unfortunately i do drive my LS in the winter months. But funds are low :(

That color would be dirty Bull.

Sure as hell won't be this guy. I had a bad enough experience doing the wheels.

Just wasn't a fan of the texture it left on there. It may be easier on large panels and wheels but I was trying to get in every nook and cranny of the seven twin spoke LS wheels, not an easy task. It was more than likely user error but it's just more work than I'm willing to put into wheels.

Just wasn't a fan of the texture it left on there. It may be easier on large panels and wheels but I was trying to get in every nook and cranny of the seven twin spoke LS wheels, not an easy task. It was more than likely user error but it's just more work than I'm willing to put into wheels.

Oh i see. The texture is definitely avoidable, its all in the technique. I've narrowed it down to varying spraying distances...in my case at least. I've noticed that after the first couple of coats i have a nice even/flat surface, but as i get into the later coats is when the texturing starts to happen. I think its just because i stop paying attention to my spraying distance at that point.

Also i'm sure with the spray guns offered in the kits dipping and avoiding texture is much easier.

Yeh that's true with anything. I just wasn't digging it and the amount of work for that trial and error was enough for me not too try again.

I was looking at it more for protection during the winter months but the blacked out look would have been cool now. Now I'm just fuhgetting about it.

"It's ok, kids, you tried your best and you failed. The lesson is: never try." Homer Simpson

Wonder if...

we can talk DYC to create some of the new Ford colors i.e gotta have it green and grabber blue

2013-Mustang-Boss-302-Gotta-Have-It-Green-Detroit-Auto-Show-2012-550x380.jpg

Grabber_Blue_Mustang_057R.jpg

Mustang12.jpg

When i get my mustang :D, i'm leaning towards the sterling gray...not so common color.

Well this was a huge flop. Black dip + black & clear looks the same as just the black dip + clear coat. I went too heavy with the clear on my first wheel and decided I didn't like it. Got four hours of peeling into the wheel so far. In the meantime, I ordered up some glossifier.

I haven't read through this thread in a while, so I forget if this was mentioned or not, but apparently a 50/50 mixture of Plasti-Dip and acetone or xylene is successful when it comes to a smooth, clean finish. But then there's the risk of damaging the original paint from the acetone and xylene. I've been following this guy's progress, and I think he does a good job for someone who has been playing around with it for just a couple months:

How to spray Plasti Dip on a car using VM & P - YouTube

Here is his site: http://iamthepuzzleman.com/mix.html

Dipset! Dipset! Dipset!

A few will get that one. Many will not. LOL.

dipped my wheels

This 02 came with its original 16" wheels and they were banged up pretty bad so i experimented with some dip and i think they came out good.

Wheels Before:
wheelsbefore.gif

Caps Before:
capsbefore.gif

After: pic didnt come out too good.
after.gif

wheels.gif

No gloss or metalizer. I just wanted to experiment with a couple cans from Home Depot. I might go back with some metalizer.

thanks mlara
i really need new wheels and tires but this will hold me over a few more months.

That actually looks real good. I like the star as well, nice touch.

Going in on some serious plastidip projects today and tomorrow, grille, front and rear surrounds, possibly going to try the mirrors as well. look out for before/after pics.

I would imagine tinting tails with plastidip would just add to all the botched tint jobs I see around here... take your time, grab a spray bottle, sandpaper and some VHT Spray tint for the real deal.

Members online

No members online now.
Back