O2 Sensors

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How often should you change O2 sensors? Or should you just wait for the CE light?

LOLOL, stock o2's at 240k buddy

From what i notice they seem to give a problem at 100k

Joeychgo said:
How often should you change O2 sensors? Or should you just wait for the CE light?

Hehehe, this post looks awfully familiar Joey. ;)

Joeychgo said:
Twas a good question......... And it got me to thinkin.... LOL

Hehe, I was just playing. I posted this question on the LOD about the same time you posted this. ;)

In answer to you question on O2 replacement, trade rule of thumb is, pre 96 every 60,000 mi and 96 and after ,every 100,000 mi...Having said that it is important to note, that a perfectly working O2 can be triggered to make the engine burn more fuel than before by faulty engine conditions...an oil burning engine can coat the sensor causing sluggish reaction and improper fuel mixture, even minor oil burning..left unchecked can cause total failure..a fouled plug, an even slightly burned valve , a vacuum leak can all trigger a rich mixture from an O2, by adding more O2 to the exhaust than normal...One more interesting fact , an O2 needs heat to work ,650 deg. , until the O2 reaches that temp it causes the engine to run rich...Some O2s have heaters built in to hasten the warm up time, if your sensor has 3 or 4 wires it has a heater , If the heater burns out the sensor works normal , just takes longer to come to temp..I hope this answers some questions...

Members online

No members online now.
Back