New to me 2001 Continental .... puked trans fluid on the way home.

LaserSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some validation here and any possible shortcuts.

So I picked up this really clean 2001 Conti today with only 112000 miles on it. Body and interior are beautiful and engine runs spectacular. I was very skeptical about its very cheap price and 30 miles into the trip my fears were confirmed. I had my Matco data logger hooked up and got a "Check Transmission" error on the DIC. Temps showed 200* and holding steady but I pulled over. Poped the hood and smoke came out and it was down about a quart. Filled it up and 30 miles later I had to do it again. Kept an eye on trans temp and it never got hot. Trans shifted fine the entire time as well.

So anyway I get it to my shop and lift it up to see trans fluid pouring from the inspection cover to get at the TC bolts. :( I cant find much info so I hope its a bad shaft or TC seal. Don't think its the pump because it shifts fine. Don't expect the TC to be bad because no shudder. So fingers crossed.

Anyway, does anyone have any "tricks" to dropping the trans easily or do I have to man up and drop the entire cradle engine and all to divorce them? Any advice would be usefull.
Thanks.

I can't be much help with dropping the trans - that's one thing I paid a shop to do. I do know the engine wasn't pulled at the same time but I believe part of the cradle has to be removed while the engine is suspended from above.

If you do drop the trans, replacing the torque converter anyway might be cheap insurance as it's a few hundred bucks and all the hard work will already have been done.

Members online

No members online now.
Back