New LS Owner

Hello all I uploaded some photos of the rear suspension. I circled to tie rod/end links that definitely need replacing. Thanks to you guys and your suggestions I ordered from one of the sites and I should have replacement tie rods in 8 days.

Yea they had no insurance so it was all on me since I only got liability on the LS. Anyhoo, I can get a bumper from Lincoln for around $500 but I haven't seen the fender. Been looking in a few junkyards for both but nothing yet.

LQ, you might try reaching out to Mike Gladtskov at American Auto Parts in Dallas TX, I found these guys selling on eBay and they run a bone yard that seems to have a huge stock of LS and Jags. They hooked me up on some interior trim parts I needed and were very reasonable. E-mail address is americanautopart2@gmail.com or find them on eBay AmericanParts2012. Hope this helps.

Hello all I uploaded some photos of the rear suspension. I circled to tie rod/end links that definitely need replacing. Thanks to you guys and your suggestions I ordered from one of the sites and I should have replacement tie rods in 8 days.

Sweet mother of all that is holy! I had plans to put mine up on the ramps this weekend and do a survey of the suspension, but after seeing your pics now I'm skeered.

img_2001-jpg.828487004.jpg

Do me a huge favor?
DON'T FN DRIVE THAT LS UNTIL THIS IS FIXED!!!!

That my friend is all that's holding your rear wheel straight .... I'm not buying this bullcrap of, next paycheck or ... it will be alright ... or I'm a prick with an ego and on commission with Ford for OEM parts ... all that Blablabla crap, I could give a rats ass!

That there, if that let's go at 70mph on the freeway, the wheel spindle will flop around, take you three lanes hard left or right into the guardrails and the LS will not be the only thing done for.

Not kidding here !!! That shouldn't even have passed a safety and if on the roads should be considered a deathtrap and a danger to those around you and yourself.

Search what happened to member QuickLS, totaled his heavily modified LS coming off the on ramp into the guard rails. And he was on it trust me. Luckily he walked away.

This forum has come a long way, all the way back to 2000 from brand new LS owners to 2010, guys picking these things up for 4000-8000$ and modding to 2016 Facebook 800$ LS'es wanting body kits and stereo's then belly aching at us for threatening that they need to spend 1000's when they in their minds don't need to and suggesting we are blowing smoke up their asses with our suggestions.

We do it because we are silly idiots with nothing better to do right? Oh and we don't know what we're are talking about and have ego's .... remember that big mouth? Where he at now?

A lot of stuff has been covered a thousand times over on the forum, we are like parrots, repeating the same thinG over and over day in, week after week.

Very little searching goes on, and now with this new forum software, the search actually fn works the way it should.

We can show you, we can give you links, we can recommend where and what parts to get, we can point you directly to the workshop manual, we can take anyone step-by-step through it, yet we get jerked around continuously by members that either have their own ill conceived theories of why these plastics deteriorate or turn sour on us because they didn't like what we suggested or made mockery off.

See where I'm going with this?
Call me this, call me that .... could care less but when I or many others are here helping others day in day out with write ups, pics the whole nine yards we get shit on, get told we have egos, must be plastered drunk while offering up advice .... on purpose, depreciating the value of the car, scaring away potential new owners, why are we here then?

Too many new members here as of late, having just bought an 800$ LS that was someone else's neglected headache ... and yeah, don't like the answers given when suggested they are in for at least 3K worth of immediate repairs.

I offer no apologies, it is what it is .... they are going on 17yr old these cars ... find me one that doesn't need fixing!

Open wallet folks ... either that or wake up and start to smell the coffee. Try and ignore the 10001th repetitive new daily overheating should I use dye? Imma weld plastics, steam melts bottles, run unpressurized fixes all bull crap threads and posts.

But yeah, we have ego's ya think?

GLWR ... flame away!

Last edited:
... I offer no apologies, it is what it is ...

I do apologize
, my bad folks, I'm frustrated.
We've lost out Tech Articles and many write ups now sport broken image links since the new forum software upgrade. Lot of daily new members with no searching or self help going on these days.

no apology necessary. due to yours and others time and trouble, this forum is a very informative place to come. perhaps it's not said enough, but I thank all of you.

Avalon,

Torn boots are normal on the rear toe links after enough time. They may wear faster at that point... but as long as nothing is sloppy loose,,, you have some time.

Best way to check is jack the rear of the vehicle up, (and use jack stands)... then grab the tire at the 9 and 6 o'clock position and wiggle it back and forth and look for any slop at the toe link end at the knuckle.

The only pic that caused me concern,,, was the second one. It looked like the ball socket cup was fractured on the end that attaches to the suspension subframe.

RigsLS, absolutely no need to apologize. I very much appreciate your concern. Once I saw how bad those end links/tie rods were I parked it. I have not driven it and I'm just waiting for the parts to come in. I do have another car and have been driving it. And I am thankful for all the inputs and advice everyone here has been offering. I'm not very mechanically inclined, however, I do hope to be able to contribute to this forum as you all have in some fashion. But that will come with time and experience.

04_Sport_LS, after seeing the car on the lift and being able to get in there and see everything, there is a lot that I will be replacing. As I've mentioned, I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I really don't like how it all looked under there and there seemed to be a lot of rust. So, I will replace as much as I can until I feel (and with the advice of some trusted mechanics) it is safe to drive without problem.

Honestly,,, the underside of your LS doesn't look all that bad as far as corrosion. Yeah,,, you have some torn boots... but as long as nothing is loose you have some time, (other than what looks like cracks I previously mentioned on one toe link).

As far as your sway bar links,,, that grease is normal. Moog's don't seal tight... so every time fresh grease is shot in the fitting,,, some old grease will ooze out. The Moog sway bar links are almost indestructible. I have over 100k miles on mine,,, and they are still tight.

I ordered OEM end links. The car has almost 150K so hopefully I can get at least half that mileage with these new ones. :)

I'd say you should. At 150k... you might want to take a close look at the lower control arm bushings. They are known to wear out... causing poor handling,,, and cause surrounding parts to fail also.

Members online

Back