New Battery, Now She Cranks...But No Start?

Lamf77

LVC Member
Reaction score
We had about -15 below here in Chicago last week. I went out to start it on that day and it was sluggish, but started without issue. I let it run a few minutes.
The next day, nothing. The battery was shot and would not even start with a jump.
Today, I installed the new battery and she cranks, but no start. My tank was very low during all this and I think that may be wear the problem lies. I added about 4 more gallons of fuel and now have about 1/4 tank. The temp finally ran above freezing today.
I do not know if something could be frozen in the fuel line, or something worse like the fuel pump etc.
Maybe I just need to wait for the warmer temps?
I tried the cold start procedure listed in the Owner's Manual by holding down the pedal also.
Just looking any advice if possible.
Thanks!

Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to ON (but not START)?

Is the anti-theft light on (very corner of the dash at the windshield)?

I had seen where someone cranks the ignition, you can listen for the fuel pump by the gas cap in the back. I have been by myself, so have not tried that, but am going to try that later today. The red antitheft light was blinking even when the battery was low the other day. I did not think to look today.
To also clarify, I have about 1/8 of a tank and the computer read 25 miles left. When the car would not start, the gauge read zero and the computer read zero miles. I have since filled the tank with about 5 new gallons of gas. I have not tried heat or any other additives.

If there is water in your fuel system put gasline antifreeze (methyl) and pour into gas tank. Was car running b4 but still below freezing temps?? If you ran out of fuel you may have a hard time starting.

Yes the car was running. I came home Saturday, before the big freeze, with about 1/8 of a tank. I planned on getting out later to fill it, but never did. I started in on the really cold Monday, it started, a little sluggish churn, but it started. I ran it for a short time and then stopped.
On Tuesday, I planned on driving to the station for gas, but car was dead. I could not even jump start it. It went from barely turning over to just a click. I used an alternate care and filled the 2 spare gas containers and come home to put them in my tank. As I said, it was about 4-5 gallons.
The red antitheft light is on.

Members online

No members online now.
Back