Need Confirmation/Reviews: KYB shocks

mlara1129

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Looking to purchase a pair of rear KYB shocks (or struts idk, i've gotten mixed information here. I'll call them shocks from here on) for my LS and I'm in need of some info.

When I purchased my Eibachs over 3 years ago, I also ordered a set of KYB shocks. However, not long after I placed my order, I got a call from tirerack saying that the eibach springs and KYBs were not compatible or something along those lines. Can't think how they would not be compatible if KYBs and Eibachs are meant to be direct fit parts, but hey I'm no expert.

Anyway, I want to go with the KYBs. They seem to meet my needs: fair price, firm ride, and from what I've read on other forums they sit a bit lower than stock shocks(just what i want for my rear). So i'm ready to purchase, I just need to confirm that there will be no issues fitting my eibachs on the KYB shocks. I do not want to go back to stock ride height.

Can anyone confirm (for a fact) that there will be no issues? Also anyone running them can you share your thoughts on their performance, durability and overall experience so far?

Thanks in advance. Ready to order these as soon as I get some feedback. Can't stand noises on my car.

I'm assuming you are going with kyb because sport shocks are no longer available? I remember a thread a few weeks back saying this.

How about stance :cool:

the kyb are shorter then stocks by almost a inch so if you use a stock eibecks springs then they will be hard to compress but I think if you have the lowering springs you might be alright but ride will be extremely harsh. I was you I go with 06 shocks

If the issue is that they are hard to compress, just go to auto shop so they can compress them for you with their big compressor jack or machine. I had pep boys do my 2 rears when I broke my compressing tool, it was real cheap, and they only charged me like 15-20 bucks to do it. Just put your ls on stands and take all 4 off, have them compressed, then install.

So no one can confirm huh? Am i going to have to find out the hard way? :(

Thanks for the Stance suggestions guys but $140 vs $1k+?

$140 just makes more sense to me right now. However, if I land this job who knows, maybe even a turbo (rear mount) will be considered ;)

I just installed KYBs (talked about it in another thread - also covered difficulties compressing the fronts) but with stock springs. I'm happy with the KYBs so far but again I am using stock springs. KYB advertises the shocks as an OEM replacement. Call KYB and see what they say about running with stiffer springs but they will probably just say your warranty will be void. I thought about running Eibachs/KYBs but had the same concern you do. I have heard there are other options for shocks but I only came across the KYBs and OEM.

I just installed KYBs (talked about it in another thread - also covered difficulties compressing the fronts) but with stock springs. I'm happy with the KYBs so far but again I am using stock springs. KYB advertises the shocks as an OEM replacement. Call KYB and see what they say about running with stiffer springs but they will probably just say your warranty will be void. I thought about running Eibachs/KYBs but had the same concern you do. I have heard there are other options for shocks but I only came across the KYBs and OEM.
Thanks for your feedback. Do you mind elaborating a lilttle more what you mean by "happy"? lol Like do you like how they perform? ride quality? or just because they fixed whatever issue you may have had?

Thanks.

Just ordered. Probably having my mechanic install them. Just remembered he installed my rear eibachs; charged me $30 or $40 and took him 20 minutes. If I didn't have to work these next 2 weekends, I'd install them myself just for the fun of it lol but $30-40 and 20 minutes to save me all that trouble, its almost a no brainer.

I'll let you know how it goes dude.

I've been curious about these too as I've used them on another car.
By stance, I assume you mean ride height front and rear? If there is enough pressure difference to change ride height (comparing new motorcrafts to new KYB's), it is probably going to negatively impact handling (and comfort too), all other suspension parts being unchanged. This usually only happens going from twin tube to monotube. Since the KYB part for gen2 (don't know why there's none listed for gen1) is twintube (excel-g), you're probably fine. Unless your roads are always smooth, I think this is the way to go.

I'm assuming you are going with kyb because sport shocks are no longer available? I remember a thread a few weeks back saying this.

They are out there, but are next to impossible to find at this point. I went through 4 botched orders.

Now, I'm confused. What do the shocks have to do with ride height? The springs control the ride height. Are you saying the spring mounts are spaced closer together than the stock ones?

Now, I'm confused. What do the shocks have to do with ride height? The springs control the ride height. Are you saying the spring mounts are spaced closer together than the stock ones?

Well, from what I read ( I could be dead wrong ) the actual shock is an inch shorter... So the spring will probably need to be compressed further than stock to compensate.

Well, from what I read ( I could be dead wrong ) the actual shock is an inch shorter... So the spring will probably need to be compressed further than stock to compensate.

Ok, then to me that would mean the shock isn't OEM fit equivalent. If it is using shorter springs than stock, I would be wary of that and really check for extra preload.

See thats why I was asking. Too late now. I guess i'll report back what happens. They should arrive by friday.

See thats why I was asking. Too late now. I guess i'll report back what happens. They should arrive by friday.

I think you should be ok. What part of the shock is shorter? If its just the body of the shock from the bottom rest/perch/mount or whatever to the rod, you should be good as long as the rod will extend as far as it needs.

The shaft, when fully extended, is about 1" shorter than my OEM ones were. The perch is at the same location as stock. By "happy", I mean they feel (drive) and dampen/rebound (bounce) like stock, but it is hard to say just how the ride is to stock since I had broken springs. I had problems installing the fronts with OEM springs but you should be fine with Eibachs.

Thanks for your reply. They arrived today, hopefully i can get them installed today after work.

The shaft, when fully extended, is about 1" shorter than my OEM ones were. The perch is at the same location as stock. By "happy", I mean they feel (drive) and dampen/rebound (bounce) like stock, but it is hard to say just how the ride is to stock since I had broken springs. I had problems installing the fronts with OEM springs but you should be fine with Eibachs.

Just some guessing here... The KYB shocks probably have higher pressure at initial compression (unassembled). It is likely very similar in pressure to the motorcrafts once they are installed. They may have looked at how much suspension travel there is and were able to cut cost by making the shaft shorter. Still, there are other variables aside from pressure that determine the dampening performance. Guessing its no problem to put these in whether you're lowered or not. You might have to cut some material off the bump stops if lowered. Looking forward to mlara's response.

Off topic, I just bought the KYB strutplus for the wife's Taurus. Obviously not a comparably handling suspension to the LS, but I'm hoping it reduces the nose-dive associated with wrong wheel drive/ poor weight distribution. I know springs always broke in those cars too, so this was a nice way to simplify strut replacement in my driveway (they have 115K on them) and avoid an impending spring failure.

Update

Got the KYBs installed with my eibach springs. The install was very straight forward, no surprises. They looked to be the same exact length as the stock ones, although I didn't look very hard as I was in a rush to get them installed and done with. Also they did not lower my car anymore, as I had wanted. In fact my car sits about a 1/4" higher in the rear, I don't know if they still need to settle a bit?

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. The ride is a bit more firm than what I had on there, but not harsh like some mentioned, even with 19's and low profile tires. My rear end feels tighter and a lot more controlled if that makes any sense, although that could just from them being new struts. Also less bounce when hitting imperfections on the road at higher speeds. I think these are very comparable to the OEM sport struts.

I would definitely recommend these, especially now that the OEMs are scarce. For the price I don't think you can do better. I'll keep pushing these over the next couple of weeks, and update again to see if my initial review still holds true.
9F74E9B3-D19D-4A65-AEA4-7C3A7E60DF18-129-00000000FC2D865E_zps26fc3f18.jpg

Quick vid of how easy this guy makes this look. Can't see why the fronts would be troublesome XR$Ti:
th_37F0330C-08D5-406B-90A5-AF0CDE5AC6B0-827-0000006ECB136E0C_zpsbc932204.jpg

Everything's easy when you have the right tools and equally as important, how to use them. Keep us updated. Since I have a new dd, I may spring for a set w/ Eibachs or Stance's.

*Edit - and with that the idea has been planted in my and it's not a matter of if, but when. InceptionLS

Members online

No members online now.
Back