My Rebuild Project - DJG 93 Mark VIII

jbelcourt

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I've been posting here for a couple months now since I came into my Mark. Quick back story:

My little brother purchased the car back in March 2013 and shortly after his work dropped his hours a lot. He wasn't able to keep up with the cost of gas in this beast, and I had two cars at the time already when he decided to get rid of it for something more economical. He had actually called a scrap yard to come pick it up and the guy stood him up and never showed. The next day, the fuel pump on my DD went out when I was headed over to visit my mom. He had the scrap yard headed over again that day and he ended up offering the Mark to me for free. We turned the tow truck driver away (that was interesting, he tried saying we HAD to give him the car and tried hooking up without paying my brother or anything and my brother ended up flashing a gun at him so he'd leave). I came into possession of the car at the end of August 2013.

She was rough. Seats were torn to hell. Looked like a bear got attracted to food and locked inside the car. Headlights were absolutely horrid. The night I drove it home, I was literally scared because I couldn't see with the lights on. To top that off, the rear view mirror was missing and the driver side mirror had the "auto dim" broke so I could only see out of half of that. Oh but when I hit the gas for the first time, I fell in love with her and decided I had big plans for her. The next weekend, I found you guys on here and things REALLY opened up.

Purchased a parts 96 LSC, swapped interior, 9-hours spent restoring LSC headlights, installed those, purchased Octi's from a JY, purchased the caps for them from Dan, installed chrome Conti handles, installed tint (haven't done rear window yet), done numerous routine maintenance jobs and such, etc etc etc.

Without going on with my wall of text and boring you with more reading, I'll lead you to the end of the day today as I'm heading in for paint this coming Monday (3/10/2014). By the end of the weekend, I'll have the brand new NOS chrome grill installed, old body trim ripped off (LSC trim ready for paint/installation) and the ugly gold emblems pulled so the chrome ones can be put on after paint as well. I'll of course update with the pictures after I come back from Vegas on March 25th and pick up my car from the paint guy.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg26.jpg27.jpg28.jpg29.jpg30.jpg31.jpg32.jpg33.jpg34.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Nice restore. Kinda reminds me of my car with the aftermarket LSC stuff and octistars on a gen 1. The interior looks like a different car(Because it is but you know). Good luck.

Looking good bet your brother will want it back

I think that you should have some door handles painted to match when the rest of the car is done.
I think you may find that there will be to much chrome one day.

Looking good bet your brother will want it back

I think that you should have some door handles painted to match when the rest of the car is done.
I think you may find that there will be to much chrome one day.

I have actually debating that a lot. Was torn between keeping the handles chrome or not.

I have an extra set. I'll probably see if he can paint them in case that does happen.

Good call, thank you.

I give you a huge amount of credit for taking a car that 98% of people would have sent to the crusher, and restoring it. Kudos to you. You'll love the car once it's painted, and all the hard work will be worth it. Midnight gray is one of the best colors on these cars.

I give you a huge amount of credit for taking a car that 98% of people would have sent to the crusher, and restoring it. Kudos to you. You'll love the car once it's painted, and all the hard work will be worth it. Midnight gray is one of the best colors on these cars.
+1
Plus you live in the land of marks, one would think you would use the gun to make him take the car!
Hats off for taking on this project car.

It has came a long way, that's for sure. The wheels really set it off. Can't wait for the after paint pictures.

you should continue the theme of painting every body panel a different color! lol.

like the Harlequin Golf:

VWGolfHarlequin.jpg

VWGolfHarlequin.jpg

Jamie, get in that paint shop to grab some progress pics of him sanding, priming and painting!

Jamie, get in that paint shop to grab some progress pics of him sanding, priming and painting!

I truly wish I could but I'm headed out to Vegas tomorrow morning. Won't be back until March 25th :/

Mechanic sent me this picture today. His shop is right in front of the paint guy. I'm still driving across country, should be home tomorrow and hopefully be picking her up!

cid_971.jpg

cid_971.jpg

Wow car looks great with the new paint, hopefully though you come to your senses and paint the chrome door handles!!!! there was a guy near me that had a gorgeous fox body that had chrome handles and it seriously ruined the car. i and other fox owners told him several times that he needed to lose em.

Wow car looks great with the new paint, hopefully though you come to your senses and paint the chrome door handles!!!! there was a guy near me that had a gorgeous fox body that had chrome handles and it seriously ruined the car. i and other fox owners told him several times that he needed to lose em.

You really think the chrome handles will look that bad? I literally just finished the 36 hour drive back. I'm sitting at his shop waiting for him so I can pick it up. I haven't actually seen it yet. I've been in Vegas.

Guess I'll find out soon how I feel about them. Luckily I had a spare set of handles I dropped off and had him paint to me in case I changed my mind ;)

You really think the chrome handles will look that bad? I literally just finished the 36 hour drive back. I'm sitting at his shop waiting for him so I can pick it up. I haven't actually seen it yet. I've been in Vegas.

Guess I'll find out soon how I feel about them. Luckily I had a spare set of handles I dropped off and had him paint to me in case I changed my mind ;)
yes haha, i think chrome door handles ONLY belong on classics that came with them from the factory,glad you atleast had him paint a spare set.

Here are side by side before and after pictures. I still have to attach the Lincoln and Mark VIII badges, just too tired after the 36 hour drive. Also, she needs to go back in a month for final wet sanding and buffing if I choose to (which I will). Extremely happy with the results.

Now to clean up the mess he left INSIDE the car. Ugh.

B&A Front.jpgB&A Driver.jpgB&A Back.jpgB&A Pass.jpg

B&A Front.jpg

B&A Driver.jpg

B&A Back.jpg

B&A Pass.jpg

Members online

Back