my 'newly' modded k&n intake.

dtx01

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
well i was reading some posts about some members trying to get cooler air into their intake so i went out to home depot and bought 4" black drain pipe ($4) and a roll of stick-on insulation foil ($16).

i wrapped my K&N heat shield (both sides) in the foil and some other parts of the intake area to block out all engine heat. then i cut a small piece of the 4" pipe and managed to shove it into the underneath of my car, tie wrapping it in place below the intake and having it run to the lower grille of my car and tie wrapping it there in place.

here's the outcome:
intake1.jpg

intake2.jpg

intake3.jpg

intake4.jpg

i was washing my car afterwards (even though it doesn't look like in the last picture, my bumper is just jacked up, needs a good compounding/buffing wheel session. black shows every damn mark) and i noticed when i went to take pictures i got some water into the pipe. you think it would be a good idea to purchase a k&n drycharger? or do you think it wouldn't be a problem since the cone isn't in the bumper? http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-4630DK

As long as you would use some common sense and not try and forge water axel deep and slow down in driving rain, with a gap between the filter and the air tube outlet you should be fine. The cover does have some minimal restriction to the airflow.

It has been suggested maybe a screen at the inlet or outlet to stop large debris.

I don’t have any of these things and have had no problems; then again I live in an arid climate.

haven't had too much road experience yet. i think it feels like i have a little more power on the low end but that can be in my head lol.

I've been using that mod for years without any problem. But it's always a good idea to stay out of deep water.

This is what it looked like on my '03....I have the same set up on the '06.

AIR-DU~1.JPG

AIR-DU~2.JPG

I had this setup at first but the car still gets pretty heat soaked. This setup only works when the car is moving over 20+ MPH to push air up the tube. You shouldnt be noticing anything off the line until you get moving a bit. The setup I have doesnt have the option to suck in air from the engine bay, it can only get its air from the front bumper.

Next time you drive the car for a while, pop the hood and feel how hot the filter gets.

I had this setup at first but the car still gets pretty heat soaked. This setup only works when the car is moving over 20+ MPH to push air up the tube. You shouldnt be noticing anything off the line until you get moving a bit. The setup I have doesnt have the option to suck in air from the engine bay, it can only get its air from the front bumper.

Next time you drive the car for a while, pop the hood and feel how hot the filter gets.

i had this setup with two tubes running from the front bumper to the intake cone rest area, my car started throwing codes (check engine) and etc engine failsafe mode my car shakes like a muscle car and slowly accelerates. when in etc engine failsafe mode! with so many problems to my early '03 ls v8 i think im starting to hate my ls sad!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back