Loud hiss from AC compressor

stumpie

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
After replacing the radiator today, I refilled the degas and engine fill as per workshop instructions, turned the car on, let it idle with heater on and bleed valve open, got a stream, closed up the bleed valve, continued with steps by increasing RPMs up to 2k and during that time I got a loud whining that increased in pitch with the idle speed. Then I adjusted the temp on the heater to 75*F and idled for another 2 minutes. Then, when I shut it down there was a loud hissing coming from the compressor. LOUD. It hissed for a long time (10-15 minutes). The engine was cool by then, and it was still hissing. I started it up again for a test drive, and I must say: I may have just discharged all my refrigerant because the A/C is not working. it's not hot air, it's just air. Certainly not cool/cold. By the time I got home, no hissing.

Any idea what I could have done? Mind you it's an old compressor (126k), and there was some yanking on the lines to the condenser during the replacement of the radiator, but I just don't see for sure that could have transferred and busted the compressor. The lines at the condenser are a-ok. The hiss was definitely coming from the compressor, definitely a high pressure air/gas leak (no fluid or oil visible), and had a faint peculiar sweet smell.

On the up-side, the radiator leak is fixed. :Bang

Probably broke the compressor manifold (not actually a part of the compressor itself).

LOL my compressor manifold is 3 months old. Just replaced it back in April. Not to say that it isn't broken now because you're probably right. It's just funny: fixed the A/C compressor manifold and noticed the radiator leak. Fixed the radiator leak and broke the manifold. FML. I'll take it to my A/C guy later in the week and see if we can spot the break.

SORRY, ENVIRONMENT. IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!

Members online

Back