Lincoln LS V8 2002 Cracked Pipe

WetGusher

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I'd like to start this off with saying I am NOT a mechanic but I am hoping that with enough help and research I should be able to do most of these repairs myself. So I bought this car for 4500$ from some dealership in Louisiana, it has 112k miles and was driving well....until about 6 months down the road I was almost home on the highway and it started steaming and smoking and it was showing it was being over heated. So I pulled over and well there was a very light scratch? in the pipe and it was causing it to bubble and water to spray out. I am not sure as to what the pipe is, I did attempt to take it off but it seems like its attached to something big...the entire pipe is rusting, I went ahead and jb welded it temporarily. I am hoping that you guys will be able to tell me what piece it is so I can replace it myself. I got this car not knowing ANYTHING...I got it because I am 21 and I have a wife and a baby and it seems like a nice old folk car...like a buick or crown victoria. But no, this car is meant for speed. Through my googling adventure I have came across many things I also seem to need to replace, degas bottle, change spark plus, change transmission fluid, change break pads, add a electric fan and a new air intake. Also I should probably learn to do a oil change...never done one. I am really hoping someone here can set me down the right path, right now I am using a 2003 v6 toyota tundra with 231k miles hauling a pregnant wife and a 1 year old. I MUST get this car into action, I feel like it was a good buy and from what I have read this car can last me and my family a while. I am ready to learn to do what I need to.

Thank you anyone and everyone.
http://i.imgur.com/AY0vK5X.png

You need to read the stickys and do a little searching on here. All this has been covered many, many times.

XW4Z-8A520-AE is what you need, but you will also need the thermostat housing and tower and degas bottle at a minimum. Basically, you'll need to replace all the cooling system plastic parts.
There's no need to replace the hydraulic cooling system with electric if it is in good working order.
When you go to refill the system: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/drain-lincoln-ls-cooling-system/

There's no reason to change the air intake unless you like more noise.

Quote by WetG:` I got this car not knowing ANYTHING...I got it because I am 21 and I have a wife and a baby and it seems like a nice old folk car...like a buick or crown victoria.'

Wet,you'd probably be better off with a Crown Vic or Mercury Marquis for dependability. These LS cars are totally different to work on and will cost you down the road in time and money, unless you're like me and can stretch a car's dependability by doing the proper maintenances.
IF you WANT the adventure of fixing things that normal cars don't have many problems with,then enjoy the ride. Me, I had years of dependability from 3 Mercury Marquis cars, Ford Aerostar van, and very little repair work needed on them. NO engine work EVER needed. don-ohio :)^)

Quote by WetG:` I got this car not knowing ANYTHING...I got it because I am 21 and I have a wife and a baby and it seems like a nice old folk car...like a buick or crown victoria.'

Wet,you'd probably be better off with a Crown Vic or Mercury Marquis for dependability. These LS cars are totally different to work on and will cost you down the road in time and money, unless you're like me and can stretch a car's dependability by doing the proper maintenances.
IF you WANT the adventure of fixing things that normal cars don't have many problems with,then enjoy the ride. Me, I had years of dependability from 3 Mercury Marquis cars, Ford Aerostar van, and very little repair work needed on them. NO engine work EVER needed. don-ohio :)^)

I mean I should fix it right? I shouldn't just let it sit and do nothing with it? right? no one is going to buy it in it's current condition.

Sure,you gotta fix it, but you can then send it down the road and get a more dependable car if you choose to. How well you fix it is up to you. You'll only get so much out of it,depending on its condition, but if you think you can afford to maintain it,that's your choice.
For a young man with a family, that needs to get to work regularly, I'd get the Crown Vic or Merc Marquis. don-ohio :)^)

These are fun cars, ride well, handle well, and still look sharp. They have some bad weaknesses that can cost a lot of time and money to fix, particularly if they're not fixed correctly as early as possible. These cars are not bullet proof, so an aging one without proper maintenance over its life can be a handful of trouble.

As an example, I bought my '02 in '10 for $5.5k with 140k miles. Put $4k of parts into it within the first three months. Replaced a couple of the cooling parts again in 13 and a complete suspension overhaul in 14. Otherwise just basic maintenance and R&R as needed. It's never been down for more than a weekend after that first push, but some people would call me a mechanic. Particularly my wife after looking at the garage.

If you want solid reliability and low operating cost, the LS may not be the best long term choice. As depressing as it is, that's the territory of the Camry and Accord.

Quote by WetG:` ... Wet,you'd probably be better off with a Crown Vic or Mercury Marquis for dependability. ...

Probably?
(I not sure that's the right word there...)

Of course, I not sure that dependability is the right word either. I've had a few Grand Marquis(es). I'd say that for me, both the LSes and the Grand Marquises were very dependable. However, I would agree that it cost much less to keep the Grand Marquis dependable than it does to keep the LS dependable.

Trying to let him down easy,Joe. He's young and sees a GREAT looking car,but like oddball said,he's possibly in for a lot of repair expense. It's hard not to fall in love with an LS. I know this, since I have 2 of them. don-ohio :)^)
Probably?
(I not sure that's the right word there...)

Of course, I not sure that dependability is the right word either. I've had a few Grand Marquis(es). I'd say that for me, both the LSes and the Grand Marquises were very dependable. However, I would agree that it cost much less to keep the Grand Marquis dependable than it does to keep the LS dependable.

oddball said:` that's the territory of the Camry and Accord. '

If I were to try to compare a Camry or Accord to a Crown Vic or Mercury Marquis,I'd be talking apples and oranges. The Marquis/Vics are WAY more car and MORE dependable in my book...way more protection in a crash. And for long term..........200K plus miles with NO timing belt to worry about means a lot to me. don-ohio :)^)

Wet, dont let them scare you too much. Yes, it is true that these are not the best choice for simple low cost do it yourself repairs. But they are also really nice, and good for safety. It really boils down to what condition yours was kept in. I am on my second one, bought for $3500 and I will be putting in about $4500 to get it to par - even though the owner kept it pristine and routine maintenance with records. In my case it is just the old lady didnt do what was needed for the 100k 15 years point.

To me it looks like you do your research. Good. I do too, and I keep my costs reasonable for the effort. Of that $4500, probably straight up $3000 of that is labor. <sigh> I just dont have the time, patience, tools or knowledge to have a go at saving that.

Take this one step at a time. Right now you should do the total cooling system refresh, which like Joe says, there is alot of threads here. I am sure you will get what to do from what I see of your research. About that research, do what you need to do, not what is said done in here if you are looking for daily use. What I mean is you do not need to change to a cold air intake (and probably shouldnt), nor do you need to electric fan unless your hydro fan has gone out.

As for oil change, take advantage of the Lincoln dealer $49.95 special. Tell them you are a new owner, and you want to start using them for repairs. While this is a fib, they will do their '1000 point' special, and tell you what is up with nearly all the components. Talk to them about each one, what is wrong, how long til it goes etc etc. This will then give you a road map of what you need to do and in what time frame.

Also run your vin number on carfax and get as much as you can about what was done in repairs already, that will help make decisions. One of the things you should try to determine is your build date. That is going to determine if you need timing chain tensionor work - like me - and if you do, you will want to have a mech do that, and as a package with plugs, coils on plugs and valve gaskets.

Welcome to the site!

Another thing,WetG...............WHEN you have to replace parts, a LOT of times,like the cooling parts and electrical parts and others, you will need to buy the FORD/Motorcraft part. THAT is a heavy extra cost in many cases. Auto-Zone,etc. doesn't often apply.
So add this up before you decide.......because you want to do the best for your wonderful family starting out. don-ohio :)^)

found the part I need for the cracked pipe :D now I just need the other parts, what other parts do I need to replace guys?

I know you may not like it but all will say replace every plastic cooling part. This is true. All will have cracks , they may be micro but they are there letting air in. And it will have to be bleed maybe many times to get air out. If not you will blow other parts down the road if you replace part by part and risk damage to your engine. But that is my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.
Back