lets try this again

defflepp1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i am still having the same problem as before with my mark.
a rough chugging idle. when it gets to temp. it idle around 650 to 750 RPMs but it got a shake in it. in reverse or drive it drops to between 450 and 550 RPMs and really feel like its gonna die. when i start to give it gas to go there is a very noticeable vibration, there aren't very many good smooth roads to test on but it feels like it goes away after about 1500-2000 RPMs. there is a definite hesitation in throttle response, and it feels like it has no power what so ever. coils are new Accel's, plugs are new Champions, wires are new NaPa's brand. firing order is correct, all gaps are correct, all plugs torqued to spec. this all stated after my brother tried to do a burnout in it. what could he have messed up to cause all these problems? none of these problems were present before. any advice would help.
and for those people who are gonna bitch at me for starting another thread after my old threads get about 15 replies with no real help they just fade away so this is kinda your fault

coils are new Accel's, plugs are new Champions, wires are new NaPa's brand.

I think you have answered your own question right here. Nothing like Motorcraft on a non FI engine. By what I have read, Accel coils are for folks who like to waste money (see here http://www.modulardepot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103644 ) Champions are made for lawnmowers and weed eaters. Napa wires might be ok if you didn't flex them too much during installation.

So you recheck all the plugs. Are you getting spark.

the rough vibration might be a bad engine mount, wouldn't hurt to check those out, did you put dielectric grease on all your connections, like wires to plugs, wires going into coils?

FWIW, I have put 30K+ on my Accel coils with no problems. Be sure to use wires with a 'spiral core' of stainless or similar wire---not carbon cores---(they're extremely fragile) and be sure that you have good grounds everywhere. Good Luck!!!
KS

no CEL

now i know cars are weird like this but, rayner601 saying the plugs and coils are the problem, if they were why would the problem start after over a month of having them on?

The same way the Bosch Platinum +2 or +4 will start making a modular motor missing within a few thousand miles. If you do some research, you will find that these engines are finicky as far as ignition system parts are concerned. Furthermore, these problems usually show up about a month or 2 AFTER someone has changed something, usually plugs or plug wires. I'd start with the easy stuff like motorcraft or autolite plugs and put the stock coils back on unless they were bad. In that case, I'd go with good used ford coils. Worst case is that you have the problem come back and you have a back up set of plugs. I have worked on these things long enough to know that if it runs funny the first things to do are to find out if and when the plugs have been changed and what kind they are and check the fuel pressure.

Probably the IAC is going bad

what the best way of checking the IAC

when i have some extra money ill change the plugs again any specific model #? and you said the wires should be fine? and where could i get some good quality and not too expensive coils? and thanks for finally giving me some good answers

I'm having a similar problem and I have brand new engine mounts. I have new plugs, new 255lph SVT fuel pump and still no change. I've seen a lot of people over the year complain about exactly this and to no avail there is never a definitive answer, just a bunch of speculation with zero solution to the issue.

Post up if you figure it out because I too am at a loss. Btw, I tried switching my IAC to another used one Jamie had and it didn't really change much...I still have the hesitation and rough stumbling idle.

Get yourself a set of Copper Core Motorcraft plugs, gap them at .054, then maybe check your TPS
and check each plug for spark before installing it, change plugs when motor is cold

The same way the Bosch Platinum +2 or +4 will start making a modular motor missing within a few thousand miles. (when they disintegrate in the head and either blow out or get sucked in) If you do some research, you will find that these engines are finicky as far as ignition system parts are concerned. Furthermore, these problems usually show up about a month or 2 AFTER someone has changed something, usually plugs or plug wires. I'd start with the easy stuff like motorcraft or autolite plugs and put the stock coils back on unless they were bad. In that case, I'd go with good used ford coils. Worst case is that you have the problem come back and you have a back up set of plugs. I have worked on these things long enough to know that if it runs funny the first things to do are to find out if and when the plugs have been changed and what kind they are and check the fuel pressure.

fixed :D

His problem isn't plugs. I have the same issues and I have brand new Motorcraft plugs...the problem was there before and after installing them. Others had the same issues too with no solution.

His problem isn't plugs. I have the same issues and I have brand new Motorcraft plugs...the problem was there before and after installing them. Others had the same issues too with no solution.

Don't assume his problem is the same as yours.
He has a miss....yours seems to be a stumble.
Completely different.

and for those people who are gonna bitch at me for starting another thread after my old threads get about 15 replies with no real help they just fade away so this is kinda your fault

Thats about the lamest thing I ever saw posted here. I even had some ideas for you.

Thats about the lamest thing I ever saw posted here. I even had some ideas for you.

Did you read the other posts???
He described a trans shudder....lots of members chimed in with good advice.
Now its not a trans shudder....... its a miss.

part it out, sounds like a junk box to me. just being honest. If the car was in a bad accident and never fixed properly, you will never get it aligned correctly.

Best quote I found by reading the older "unhelpful" threads.

My guess is its been a miss all along.

FWIW I have platinum plus 4 in my mark for 15.000 miles now and it is smooth as glass-Plugs fire or don't, and if that were your problem I would have to think you'd get a code.

Since it happened when the driveline was shocked, I'd look at the motor mounts, trans mount first. The actual problem you are having with variable idle and stumble may somehow have been caused by this too if something was done to a fuel line, vacuum line or sensor/electrical connection. It's odd that you do not have a CEL (not sure if you have a Gen 2 or 1) but you might see something if you can get PID's. You still might have a code, it just hasn't lite up yet or your bulb is not working? You should still plug in a known good scanner to see if there is any evidence. Good luck.

Members online

Back