JL's in the trunk now..

DMcBrideBoston

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just had some W3's installed in the LS.....WOndering if you guys who have 12's, have had better luck in sq with a ported or sealed box in the LS trunk?

i have 2 12w3v2's D4's in a sealed rockbox the 1 u see in my avatar with the 2 memphis subs in it they sound really good on my memphis PR500.1 but i will be taking them out and putting a custom box in with 115" RE Sx sub deal 4ohm sub. havent decided about power cause i am up in the air with which memphis i want on it..

What amp do you have on your JL's

I think sealed hits harder and ported is more accurate.

KD00LS said:
I think sealed hits harder and ported is more accurate.

its the other way around, sealed is more accurate and gives better sq, ported boxes have more ouput and give more spl.

I just got my JL 12w6 installed, pushing 600 RMS. Clean set up in a comp. ported box. Also along with the system goes a Dual Indash DVD 8182. And I hard wired my radar to be clean. How do i post pics??

DMcBrideBoston said:
JL 500.1

Does anyone find the bass sounds louder and better with the fold down seats down?

YES. i know for a fact, cuz when cmurder- yall heard of me is pounding and my boy leans back and puts the seat down we both just grin and how much louder it really is. and i think ported is good for deeper bass an more spl, and sealed is better for sq.

with the seats down ur obviously going to get more bass and more vibration because ur giving the speakers more air space, and there is nothing blocking the vibration from the speakers leading into the cabin..

a sealed box will be more accurate if u give the right amount of air space.. meaning the box may have to be big and bulky and take up most of the space in the trunk..

if u port the box ur giving the speaker a way to release the air from inside the box and the base gets forced out of the whole you've made, there for u can make a smaller box and give the speaker the air space needed to function properly (threw the whole in the box)...

it also comes down to what u want the system for.. quality or spl.. lastly.. if u seal a box and face it in, u'll get the same as a ported box facing out depending on the size of the port and etc..

how do u want to face the speakers? how do u want to design the speakers in ur trunk(how much space u got to work with).. etc.. etc..

if ur going two twelves u should be fine with either one.. but once u go to 3 twelves it gets tricky because the back of the trunk wont fit 12's across .. u have to move the box up or closer to the trunk lid, decreasing the space between the speaker the trunk.. thats fine because ur going to get more base.. but if u dont give it enough space, when it pounds on the trunk, it will reverberate and maybe blow ur speaker.. remember not to face speakers to each other, and give them enough air space..

Thanks Everybody for the responses, as well as the in depth one from Bangin....

I wish there was a setup for sq and spl mixture, becasue thats what I ideally want. Can you explain to me why a sealed box facing toward the cabin will get the same effect as a ported box?

I have a sealed box, and it is kinda small, not tiny, but definetly not big, pics when I get a chance.

I want to face the speakers, which ever way will make the bass pound the hardest. I would like to keep most of the functionality of the trunk as far as the spare goes...

BanginLS said:
how do u want to face the speakers? how do u want to design the speakers in ur trunk(how much space u got to work with).. etc.. etc..

Lastly, those of you who compete for SPL competitions, what songs (specific) do you use for the competitions?

Thanks again Everyone

This is my temporary system til i put the 15" Re Sx in custom ported inclosure

oldschool.JPG

sub2.JPG

sub3.JPG

subs1.JPG

StincolnLincoln said:
This is my temporary system til i put the 15" Re Sx in custom ported inclosure

Looks Good....

Anyone know if JL or anyone else makes some subtle yet cool speaker grills for 12's?

Oh another question...

How do you guys with big systems keep your amps cool....I have an issue with my RF amp that supplies my components going into protection....I need a cooling sysytem...just curious as to what others have done

ported boxes take more air space than sealed. Sealed are the way to go if you want sound quality ported if you are looking for more output and they are more effecient (take less power to run). My advice would to e-mail JL and tell them what kind sound you want and the will design it for you.

to cool your system get some computer fans from radio shack and have them blow on the heatsinks of the amp.

i personally ride with the one section of the rear seat down most of the time because i put less strain on the subs, amp and battery to get the sound i want. i have 5% tint so no one can look in and see the seat folded down (which i hate seeing). works for me.

black_lincoln said:
i personally ride with the one section of the rear seat down most of the time because i put less strain on the subs, amp and battery to get the sound i want. i have 5% tint so no one can look in and see the seat folded down (which i hate seeing). works for me.

second me on all of that. i do exactly the same most of the time and i hate seein the seat folded down..

I was messing around a few weeks ago with that setup u see and made a lil video. hope u have some good sounding pc speakers cause thats the only way u will be able to appreciate whatever sound u can get from this short temporary system video. i posted it on youtube dont laugh i dont claim to be a professional producer lol...enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be8VcGOlax4

Thanks for the video, although youtube is very slow this morning and video is unwatchable...

Sorry, can someone tell me what/where the heatsink is on an amp?

Thanks

DMcBrideBoston said:
Thanks for the video, although youtube is very slow this morning and video is unwatchable...

Sorry, can someone tell me what/where the heatsink is on an amp?

Thanks

It's the thick metal fins.
Normally the transistors are mounted on the 2 thick sides (not the sides where the cables go / audio controls are). The whole think metal top (heat sink)does a good job to dissipate heat so all you really need to do is move air across the top of the amp.

Members online

Back