Installing 96 Illuminated Cruise Control Buttons on 93?

jbelcourt

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anybody done this before? I haven't pulled mine off in over a year, so I can't remember what I ran into last time, but I'm sitting here with my other 93 wheel I'm going to be putting in this weekend when I swap interior (again) that I want to put the 96 illuminated buttons I saved from my last swap into it.

I remember the plug was different (due to the the power and ground wires for the lights), but are all the other wires (color?) identical? If so, my thought was to just cut the harness off the controls and wire those into my stock plug which would just leave me with the two wires for the illumination function. I could wire those into the dimmer control on the instrument panel, or something of the sort, and I would be good to go.

I just want some sort of idea what I'm walking into before I start, so I'm better prepared.

I did find a how to for doing it for a Mustang, but I'm not sure how much (if any) help that would be to me after reading it over.

Thanks for any insight guys.

Interesting you bring this up because I keep thinking about swapping a Conti or TC wheel on my MK the next time I get bored. I want all the controls though - stereo and HVAC. My last conti only had the cruise on the wheel and I hooked it up with stereo and HVAC control with a little wiring and I really liked that feature. Of course there would be a lot of modifying going on... but then again, she is parked right now with a bad trans, maybe now is the time...

I am sure you would need a clockspring that has the power when lights are turned on and a good harness. I found out if you have a library card you can log onto the local library website and search for 'resources' - thats where I pull my wiring digrams

Good Luck!

Now THAT would be a really neat idea man!

Here's my idea (which I just now tested out the harness to find the power and ground for the lights). Tell me if this makes sense....

Cut the plug off of the 96. Solder the wires from the 96 (purple, light blue, black) on to the 93 harness. I'll have the left over two wires for illumination which I'll have to figure out how to run to the light switch on the far left side of the dash.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Tada!
IMAG0459.jpg

Now if I can figure out how to run this in the car, I'll be all set.
IMAG0464.jpg

....and hopefully all my assumptions were correct on the rest of the wiring I soldered.

IMAG0459.jpg

IMAG0464.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back