I Love My Lincoln!!

thaywood

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I love my Lincoln! I just wanted to say that. I’ve been a Lincoln man for many years. My first Lincoln was a 1962 suicide-door Continental. It was forest green with a white leather interior. It had a 340hp 430 V-8, auto, power steering/brakes/windows and seat, a/c, am/fm radio, cruise, tilt, and the very rare automatic headlight dimmer with the sensor on the center of the dash. It wasn’t in great shape and I spent a couple of years getting it drivable, but ended up selling it. I still kick myself for that. Next I got a ’79 Lincoln Town Coupe. Now that was one enormous car!! It was basically a 2-door Town Car. It was teal with blue velour interior. It had a 400-M with about 3 horsepower. But I loved that car! It had a moonroof that was as big as the windshield on my ’97 LSC! Then I got a ’71 Continental with the 10.5:1 D0VE-C head, 365hp, 500ft-lb 460 V-8. Now that car was a friggin’ monster! It would literally melt a set of rear tires if you weren’t careful. It had a bottomless pit of low end torque that is sorely missing in most modern cars. The kind of torque you can only get from a big cube big block V-8. It was such a great car. I miss it too. My next Lincoln was a 1988 Town Car with the good ol’ 302 with 160hp (dual exhaust package) and a C5 AOD. It was white with a blue carriage roof and blue velour interior. Of course it had power everything and all the goodies. I loved driving that car. It was smooth, quiet, and reasonably fast considering its anemic powerplant. And it got 20+ mpg most of the time. After that I had a couple of T-Birds and Mustangs before getting my ’96 Mark VIII in 2000. For me, that was the ultimate Lincoln. It was a sleek, sexy, 2-door coupe with a powerful state-of-the-art V-8 and all the bells and whistles. I had wanted a Mark VIII since I first saw one in ’93. But I could never even dream of affording a new $40K car. I ended up getting my dream Lincoln with 63K miles on it 7 years later for $4K bucks!! What a steal! The only thing wrong with the car was leaky front air springs. I drove that car for 10 years before finally selling it this year with 204K miles on it. Luckily, I had bought my wife a ’97 LSC a couple of years ago. Now that she has her ’96 Cobra convertible, the LSC is mine! I loved the ’96 but the ’97 is better. It’s not as fast as the ’96 but it is better looking, more comfortable, and classier looking. The GEN2 Mark VIII is overall a better car as far as looking the part of a premium luxury car. The GEN1 shared too much with other, lesser FoMoCo products. For example, the turn signal stalk and dome lamp in my ’96 Mark were identical to the ones in my ’94 Ford Explorer and the interior door handles are exactly the same as the ones in the ’96 Cobra (of course, so are the ones in the ’97, but they’re chrome!). Every once in a while, my wife graciously allows me to drive her Cobra. On those rare occasions, I thoroughly enjoy myself. There’s nothing like driving a small, nimble RWD car with 300+hp and a manual transmission around corners! I love tossing that car because it sticks to the road like glue. And I love rowing through the gears (no “flappy paddles” for me, thank you very much!). But no matter how much I enjoy driving the Mustang, it doesn’t compare to the Mark. The Mustang is just too small. I like big cars. I feel cramped in the Mustang. In the Mark I have plenty of "wiggle" room. I don’t feel like a sardine. The Mark is also much easier to get in and out of than the Mustang. Granted the Mustang has a 1.5” Eibach lowering kit, but even so, it’s so small and cramped, I have trouble getting in and out of it easily. Mostly due to my back and knee issues. The Lincoln’s seats are also far more comfortable than the Mustang’s. And although the Mustang is faster and handles worlds better than the Mark, I would still rather be sitting in my Hot Rod Lincoln. Now if I could just get the Mark to handle anywhere even close to the Cobra, I’d be a seriously happy camper!

I can't speak for everyone else but I read LvC as if it is my morning
newspaper as i sit down with my hot java before going to work.

I thouroghly enjoyed reading this post and it kinda lets me see other
Lincoln enthusiasts perspective on how they've evolved in their Mark
ownership.

Thanks for sharing!

Ren

I agree thanks for sharing your good story
And the mark can handle just as good as the cobra it just takes money

i read lvc like a crack head and helpping a close friend of mine fix his gen 1 and tellin him to join and he still hasnt and counting down til i get anothere mark at this piont its driving me crazy and i have a honda civic as my daily driver but i miss my mark man... ANYONE HAVE ONE FOR SALE CLOSE TO CHARLOTTE AND CHEAP .......

Start with wider better tires the next time you replace them

I've got Federal P245/50R16's with directional tread pattern on it now. It helped tremendously compared to the puny little P215/65's the previous owner put on it. But it's still not up to the level I'd like. Right now my rear shocks are toast. She likes to "sidestep" over bumps and it's a little scary. I'll be getting some new Monroe T-Bird rear shocks hopefully the end of this month and maybe that'll help a little. The front shocks are relatively new (the P/S is about a year old and the D/S is only a couple of months old, but Arnott shocks are really soft and mushy). I'll get her right eventually.

I have new shocks and mine "side stepped" when I had my 19's on. Haven't noticed it since I put the stockers on though. I think the toe compensater links(?) in the rear have something to do with it.

Edit: But I'm sure if your car doesn't pass the bouncy test it could enhance the tcl's maybe.

I just installed 255/45-18 in the rear and 245/45-18 in the front...it made a HUGE difference in the way it feels. It feels so solid now, as opposed to the stockers

I just installed 255/45-18 in the rear and 245/45-18 in the front...it made a HUGE difference in the way it feels. It feels so solid now, as opposed to the stockers

yeah but the wheels made the difference. you can't really compare 18 inch tires to 16 inch tires. at the same diameter, 18 inch tires have 2 inches less sidewall. makes a difference.
even going to 17s on my car cut down on sidewall roll. it doesn't sway as much.

Great read, really enjoyed it!

This '96 is my first Lincoln, and the first car I fell in love with. And I've had a lot of cars.
Found out today that its sole previous owner had sold it because the HID lowbeams went out, and he found out what the dealership wanted to "fix" it for him. If he knew that thanks to DLF's adapters and a cheap VMME Xenon kit I'd fixed it with a little wire splicing for under a hundred bux he'd keel over.

Great read, really enjoyed it!

This '96 is my first Lincoln, and the first car I fell in love with. And I've had a lot of cars.
Found out today that its sole previous owner had sold it because the HID lowbeams went out, and he found out what the dealership wanted to "fix" it for him. If he knew that thanks to DLF's adapters and a cheap VMME Xenon kit I'd fixed it with a little wire splicing for under a hundred bux he'd keel over.

That right there is a prime example of why the forums kick ass. Someone on their own would get easily discouraged without the "hook-ups" we have on here. DLF is a guy who took it to the next level and said, " "I'm not going to get pissed off, I'll just make the :q:q:q:q." LOL If only I had the fabrication skills he does.

Great story, Thanks for sharing it with us. I just bought another 97' Mark VIII last sat. I had a new one back in the day. I put 174k on it and traded it in for a van for my wife. I have always loved Lincolns. When I was 5 my dad bought a 3yr old 62', then a few yrs later he bought a new 75'. So maybe it's in my blood. I found a deal on the same car I had before 97' Mark VIII, pearl white LSC. Loving life again.

ive always had sportscars irocs, 5.0's, gta t/a, ive loved the lincoln since i first sat in it. had 138k now 148k, new suspension,motor, it should last awhile plus ive got alot more modsto do. i love the look on peoples faces in my rear view as i blow past them. love my hot rod lincoln!

I've had so many cars in my life it ain't funny:) I lost count at around 30 or so:D But I'm always going to be a Lincoln man. And now that I'm broke as heck, I'll be driving that LSC until the wheels fall off or I die...which ever comes first. Hopefully I can find that V-6/5-speed LS that I want so badly! Then I'll have two Lincolns again. But my dream Lincoln would be a '59 or '60 Continental Mark IV or V convertible. My ultimate dream machine would be a '56 or '57 Continental Mark II (technically not a Lincoln because at that time, Continental was a separate division). As for Lincoln's current state of affairs, I'd never even consider the idea of purchasing a new one. They're nothing more than Ford's in silk suits. And they're all wrong-wheel-drive and don't have V-8 engines anymore. What the heck???? A Lincoln without a V-8 is like a grilled cheese sandwich without the cheese. It just ain't right. Neither is a FWD Lincoln. It's just plain wrong. So I'll have to stick with all the LS and older Lincolns. I'd love to have my old '62 back. Talk about rear seat legroom! I'm 6'2" and I could literally stretch my legs out in the back seat and rest my feet on the little drop down foot rest on the back of the front seat. Four people could sit in that back seat with plenty of room!! I miss those gigantic cars. They just don't make 'em like that anymore:(

grilled cheese sandwich

They're nothing more than Ford's in silk suits. And they're all wrong-wheel-drive and don't have V-8 engines anymore. What the heck???? A Lincoln without a V-8 is like a grilled cheese sandwich without the cheese.
I'm so with ya thaywood:Beer

34_1_b.jpg

Members online

Back