How to find out if my car's engine is the original one?

LS6_5SPD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to find out if the engine in my LS is the one it came with from factory?

I know for a fact that on my 2000 V6 the VIN is dot stamped into the engine and the trans. You can see VIN on drivers side lower of the trans. On the engine its on the lower end main girdle. (the main caps of the block) I have pics of it when I took my old engine out.

Thanks for the response ! I will check the engine year as Ive removed the plastic cover. About the location of the vin on the engine, can u post that picture RIGHT? I guess the tranny hasnt been replaced but I'll anyways. Thanks again !

It not as if your car were a 1963 Stingray Corvette or something where matching numbers is critical to getting top selling price. No one cares about an LS engine # matching. Why do you? Just curious.

Cause I wanna keep my car. I want to build the engine some time next year hopefully, so plans are to get a spare engine to build. Now IF my car has the original engine, it'll be extremelly stupid to build a different one to swap in. I rather change the engine and build the original one. Just me.

cause i wanna keep my car. I want to build the engine some time next year hopefully, so plans are to get a spare engine to build. Now if my car has the original engine, it'll be extremelly stupid to build a different one to swap in. I rather change the engine and build the original one. Just me.

huh?

To find the engine VIN pad follow the engine oil dipstick tube to where it presses into the block now look 1 inch down and 4 inches back and there is the pad.

When I figure out how to post pics I will show VIN engine pad. Also when I said trans has VIN stamped in it which it DOES I mean auto trans you have the rare stick which I know nothing about.

I think he means rebuild the original engine. I still don't have a clue why it matters. Karma?

Just me I guess.

Don't know either ... it's only the 6? Why bother?

From my point of view, since my car has a manual transmission, it makes total sense to add engine power. Now if it were either a 6 or 8 with an auto tranny, I would rather spend my money on finding another car.

When I figure out how to post pics I will show VIN engine pad.

I upload them to photobucket, then copy the image link and paste it on the post.
I will check, I changed oil today and on the sticker under the hood it has some sort of engine code too. I dont know, will find out when I get the goodies installed.
Thanks for helping :Beer

From my point of view, since my car has a manual transmission, it makes total sense to add engine power. Now if it were either a 6 or 8 with an auto tranny, I would rather spend my money on finding another car.

The getrag couldn't handle the 252hp of the V8. That's a large reason there was no manual V8. The auto can actually handle more power. Unless you plan on upgrading the transmission adding engine power could easily grenade the trans.

I know, we'll see how much it can take. If it blows I'll see what I do with it.

The getrag couldn't handle the 252hp of the V8. That's a large reason there was no manual V8. The auto can actually handle more power. Unless you plan on upgrading the transmission adding engine power could easily grenade the trans.

Do you know of anyone that has grenaded a manual trans in one of these due to too much power? I haven't been able to find anyone who has. We know this trans can handle at least 240hp because they used it in the Jaguar that had 240HP.

Members online

No members online now.
Back