How much reserved Gas is there in the Gas tank?

mark0101

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
In my Conti, I get about 300 miles per tank. I usually fill it up when the needle reaches the 1/4 mark but it only puts in about 12-13 gallons to have the tank full again.The other day I let it reach to E(about 5 more miles left), it took only 14.2 gallons to fill it up. Now I know that the Car has a 18 gallon tank so would that mean that it reserves 4 gallons:eek: ???????
My question is that is there a way to change your reserve? I mean 4 gallons is alot.

Your Miles Left is all a calculation done on the part of the car. Its taking your MPG, and your fuel level. Your average MPG is calculated out for 500 or so miles, even if you hit the reset Average MPG, it still stores the last 500 or so miles for this calculation.

Also, the more you "top of your tank" the more likely your fuel gauge will be less accurate. There is also other problems with topping off your tank, but thats not the point.

so I should try to get the best gas MPG and try not to top it off that much?
How much miles do you get with a full tank and how much gallons does it take to fill your tank?

Mine is a 18 gallon tank as well, usually I have a gallon or 2 left when it says empty. I have to fill it with about 15 to 16 gallons when I fill her up. I do beleive that topping off effects the reserve. Every time I fill up on empty it's a little different in terms of the amount of gallons. If you top off the reserve goes down a little bit.

topping off can have adverse effects on the EVAP controls in some cars.. I have seen cars throw check engine lights after fillin up to the top of the filler neck... what happenes is raw fuel gets into the vapor recovery system and causes the check engine lite to pop... sometimes self correcting, sometimes not

mark0101 said:
so I should try to get the best gas MPG and try not to top it off that much?
How much miles do you get with a full tank and how much gallons does it take to fill your tank?

I have a 98 so it has the 20 gallon tank instead. I average about 18.5 MPG in a combination of city and highway.

As for fill-ups, I usually fill up when the car displays "Low Fuel Level". I usually pump about 17 gallons into the car at that point.

I'll tell you than on my recent roadtrip to north carolina from Home ( CT ) I got to the point I ran 10 miles plus, on Zero miles to empty, when I had it on the distance to empty selection. Had the biggest coldsweats but it actually made it running to the gas station. Remember, this is the acuracy that my car meters, dunno if it's the same for everyone.
1998 Lincoln Continental, by that on non stop highway driving, I got my car going 365,miles on a filled tank in including the 10 miles I went on Zero. Normally on local/highway driving, 300 miles with filled tank.

pokeeto2 said:
I'll tell you than on my recent roadtrip to north carolina from Home ( CT ) I got to the point I ran 10 miles plus, on Zero miles to empty, when I had it on the distance to empty selection. Had the biggest coldsweats but it actually made it running to the gas station. Remember, this is the acuracy that my car meters, dunno if it's the same for everyone.
1998 Lincoln Continental, by that on non stop highway driving, I got my car going 365,miles on a filled tank in including the 10 miles I went on Zero. Normally on local/highway driving, 300 miles with filled tank.
yea, I get 300 miles with a filled tank but you should be able to top that since your car has a 20 gallon gas tank vs 18.5 gallon that I have. how many gallons did you fill when it was on empty?
On my Town Car, the capacity is 19 gallons and I can get 444 Miles per tank on it. With the Conti having better MPG, it should be around its range but I guess Lincoln set the reserve too high on the Continental

Well, My car tripped 148K on a recent roadtrip, It still has all original innition coils, O2 sensors, Mass airflow, ETC. I'm sure with all that stuff replaced with new ones, along with it's set of platinum sparks, and to add a K&N filter & new gas filter to be added. I'm positive I'll get over 400 miles. I do recall that when I got this car with 118K, gas mileage was slightlty better. I actually don't remember how many gallons the pump read but I spent about $60 on that fill up at $2.99 premium in NC., And I think the 98 has 20.5 gallon tank

Members online

No members online now.
Back