Garage improvement - or, new toy added...

foxpaws

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
With the price of toys lately, I just itched...

Looked at quite a few Italian Stallions - and thanks to those on this site who helped with some 'investigation'...

But, after looking at many, driving a few, and doing much research, for the price of approximately 3 years of maintenance, let alone any repairs that a Ferrari might need, I returned to my first love...

Germans.... I have owned a few, I know them, I have dropped engines on them, I have a great German mechanic, and maintenance along with repairs are really quite reasonable (when comparing them to Italian metal), I succumbed...

An '87 all original 911 Targa. Original down to its core. Only thing it has had done is an aftermarket radio - original Blauplunkt is sliding around in the boot though. For a short primer in Porsches - many think that 87-89 are some of the best 911s - last years of the classic body - after that they started to get 'softer' lines, 3.2 solid as a rock engine, best G50 transmission, great Fuch's 2 piece wheels.

My mechanic loves it - no rust (and that is really important), original Colorado car, he calls it an 'honest' car. Leak down test at factory specs, all mechanics work great - well, the air conditioning sucks, but, I'll probably pull the compressor anyway for weight. 80,000 miles - so no garage queen, but a car that gets driven - those are the best - I like about 3,000 miles or so a year on a car - they need to be driven.

Can't wait until I can get it out on the track, so no cabriolet this time, I need a roll bar at least - that is why the Targa.

Needs - a short throw gearbox, front boot gas struts, front tires and an alignment, a good cleaning, and maybe I'll lower it to European spec height.

And, a name...

porsche_3-4.jpg

porsche_front.jpg

porsche_back.jpg

porsche_side.jpg

porsche_garage.jpg

Well there isn't anything in Wisconsin that is going to challenge the Porsche, let alone the WRX sti - and prying it out of my daughter's hands is a difficult task. But, actually - the Porsche is a more fun 'drive', it really is a drivers car - long shifts, big torque numbers, really leggy, no power steering, no ABS.

Nut - that is a piece of vinyl flooring under the Caddy - there is one under the 911 as well - it is just in the back :). The Caddy spit out some radiator fluid a few weeks ago - so I replaced the hose clamps (the weird wire/press kind) with the screw type clamps, because that is where it looked like it was leaking - so far so good - no new leaks.

I don't like stuff on the floor. ;)

Well there isn't anything in Wisconsin that is going to challenge the Porsche, let alone the WRX sti - and prying it out of my daughter's hands is a difficult task. But, actually - the Porsche is a more fun 'drive', it really is a drivers car - long shifts, big torque numbers, really leggy, no power steering, no ABS.
Now there is fighting words......:D
Nut - that is a piece of vinyl flooring under the Caddy - there is one under the 911 as well - it is just in the back :). The Caddy spit out some radiator fluid a few weeks ago - so I replaced the hose clamps (the weird wire/press kind) with the screw type clamps, because that is where it looked like it was leaking - so far so good - no new leaks.

Those clamps do suck, I thought it might have a Lincoln drip problem, but I know, it's not a Lincoln.

Nut - Lincolns leak? ;)

Actually the Caddy was leaking oil a couple of years ago - my mechanic had put in a full synthetic and it was happily finding ways out around the oil pan gasket... Change back to good old basic oil - not a drop since.

well there isn't anything in wisconsin that is going to challenge the porsche, let alone the wrx sti - and prying it out of my daughter's hands is a difficult task. But, actually - the porsche is a more fun 'drive', it really is a drivers car - long shifts, big torque numbers, really leggy, no power steering, no abs.

Nut - that is a piece of vinyl flooring under the caddy - there is one under the 911 as well - it is just in the back :). The caddy spit out some radiator fluid a few weeks ago - so i replaced the hose clamps (the weird wire/press kind) with the screw type clamps, because that is where it looked like it was leaking - so far so good - no new leaks.

i love your daughter

You should name it The Duck. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck.... actually I don't know what it sounds like, but it just resembles a duck.

Nut - Lincolns leak? ;)

Actually the Caddy was leaking oil a couple of years ago - my mechanic had put in a full synthetic and it was happily finding ways out around the oil pan gasket... Change back to good old basic oil - not a drop since.

I also hate any kind of fluid on the floor and since putting synthetic in the Mark, it has developed a slight leak. I too keep something under the Mark (that you can't see) so that it's not on the floor. I like seeing nice clean garages that aren't cluttered. Like the new ride too.

So yes, Lincolns do leak lol. The Sanoma leaks nothing but doesn't have synthetic in it either.

NewGarageCompressor003.jpg

I had a 914 for a while - they really look like frogs...

A duck - maybe the back end... smile.

NoLimit - that is one amazing garage - I thought I was doing pretty good... I feel messy :p

thats just cuz he caught the old one on fire ;) (really he did)

Yes, I really did lol. I promise though, the way you see it now, it will remain in this condition. My dad just passed away in July and he had an enormous amount of clutter in the garage and to top it off, I blew up my 94, along with all the other stuff that was in there. I have a pic below of the aftermath. The fire dept had moved the car out into the driveway just in case it decided to re-ignite again.

Fire016.jpg

Fire002.jpg

Before

FirePics034.jpg

After and yes, I was inside that car when it blew up. Not one single burn. I was being closely watched over.

DSC02258.jpg

Now you might feel better about your garage. You really do have a nice and neat, non cluttered garage, along with two nice cars inside. As you can see up above, I have seen much worse. :D I don't think your new toy looks like a duck either. Kinda resembles a little burnt turtle shell but I'd have it. Trade you the Sanoma for it???? It's a 99 with 112K on the clock.

NoLimit - wow, you are lucky, someone was watching over you that day.

I can see why your garage is so pristine now.

Maybe the 911 is a bit on the turtle side... but, I think I'll have to turn down your trade... ;)

NoLimit - wow, you are lucky, someone was watching over you that day.

I can see why your garage is so pristine now.

Maybe the 911 is a bit on the turtle side... but, I think I'll have to turn down your trade... ;)

Oh well, I tried. :) It's going on CL in the next few days because that bedroom belongs to the Mark only. I still have the black truck that's pictured up above if I ever need one for something. The Mark isn't sharing beds with another but until I sell it, I'll treat it right and keep it out of the weather. It really bothers me when someone has a garage, especially one that can accommodate 2 vehicles and they have both of their cars outside. Makes no sense to me for a high priced investment to sit outside and catch sun beams and rain while their garden rakes and lawn mowers, wheel barrels and other junk piles up in the garage. Buy a shed people.

Sorry to derail your toy thread Fox. Again, you got yourself a good looking 911 and glad to see you have a room for it to sleep at night. :p

Foxpaws, nice score. I like a clean air cooled old 911. I never had one, both mine were the latter 996 chassis but always had a soft spot for the old Targas.

Good choice over the Ferrari. I was only ever able to get the ghetto Mondial8 and it sucked. I wanted a 308 or 328 but they were over 20K (back in 99) but the dealer I worked at brought in the 84 Mondial for cheap and then dumped a couple grand into it. I bought it and on the way home it ruptured an $800 radiator hose. Then I found the rotors were shot and it needed new shocks and those parts were just ridiculous so I sold the car.
It was an ugly car that you sat a little sideways to drive anyway so I wasn't heartbroken about it.

Anyway, the Porsche is the one that can be driven all the time and not kill you in maintenance.

I'm a little puzzled by your reference to '...nothing in Wisconsin to challenge...' There's a guy named Jay Brown from up that way who, among other things, wins one of the most serious classes during Drag Week yearly, and brings a different car every year. Although he won with his Ford GT some years ago, he won last year while driving a NA SOHC FE-powered '64 Galaxie. Runs mid 9s and you drive several hundred miles each day in addition to the racing.

KS

Members online

Back