Front Air Spring/Shock Updated Design

thaywood

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just got around to starting my "project". This is an idea I had recently for a new front air spring/shock design that has a separately removable air spring and shock unit. With this design, the air spring or shock can be replaced independently without having to buy the entire unit. If you need a new shock, but the air spring is still good, you can just replace the shock. And if the air spring leaks but the shock is still good, you just repalce the spring. I think that in the long run, this design could save owners a lot of money. And it wouldn't be exclusive to the Mark VIII. Companies like BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, and many others use air spring/shock designs similar to the Mark VIII's. And in most cases, the air spring will outlast the shock absorber. And it would also make it a lot easier to upgrade to stiffer shocks if you want to instead of being restricted to whatever type of shock the manufacture puts in the unit. Here's a rough sketch of my idea. I just want to get some input and opinions. Thanks.

Air Spring Drawing2.JPG

Air Spring Drawing2.JPG

It already is replaceable. It's a little bit of work, but I'm putting Koni shock cartridges in my front struts.

There was a right up some one did a few years back about replacing the inner strut on the front air shock I have a link if someone want it.

There was a right up some one did a few years back about replacing the inner strut on the front air shock I have a link if someone want it.

I've seen it. It is a lot of work. And it may or may not seal when you're done. And with the current design of the air spring/shock units, the air spring is not replaceable. When it goes, even if your shock is just fine, you have to replace the whole thing. I want to be able to replace the air spring or the shock easily whenever one or the other goes bad. The problem I have with the wife's '97 LSC is that the springs are leaking, but the shocks are in perfect working order. It seems like a waste to throw away a perfectly good set of shocks and spend a $h!tpile of money to get a new set just because the spring is bad. Why not just buy a new spring, and replace the old one and keep on driving with your good shocks?

F
Cause it not a valid site to be posting on lvc. Rather send a pm. If you catch my drift. I sent laser the link a few months back.

Again, I've seen it. And it looks like it would work. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about EASILY replacing either the shock or the spring. The project shown in the link above is only intended for replacement of the shocks. And it is a difficult, in-depth, and time consuming project. And you still can't replace the spring by itself. You'll need to pay for a complete set of air spring/shock assemblies and then tear them apart, put the new shocks in and hope nothing leaks or blows out. My idea is much safer and tremendously simpler (simply twist the leaky air spring off, and twist a brand new one on.). And probably cheaper in the long run.

Nothing wrong with the idea, just no market for it.

Companies like BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar could care less what it costs to fix the crap they put out on the market.

Most who buy this crap could care less what it costs to fix it.

If you want to do it for yourself...go for it.

Beats the crap out of fix a flat :)

...or stop trying to drive a Lincoln with a Kia budget

Thaywood, it looks like a great idea in theory but how do you put it in practice? Unless you're planning on manufacturing your own air springs, it's just a nice idea.

Thaywood, it looks like a great idea in theory but how do you put it in practice? Unless you're planning on manufacturing your own air springs, it's just a nice idea.

agreed. no one makes anything you could adapt to it. so you would have to make everything for yourself, then get a company to buy it for a car that is 12-17 years old. i like the idea and its nice to dream, but in reality its just that

You are like a MarkVIII mad scientist, but I mean it in a good way. Keep thinking up stuff, who knows you might think of something great.

It's great to think outside the box like this.
If I remember right, one issue that everyone has is acquiring quality rubber to use when rebuilding the air springs.

That's a good question. And I'm working on that. If I can refine the design enough to make it simpler, I may try to patent it. I've never seen this type of modular design in use anywhere else. Then possibly sell it to a manufacturer like Bilstein, Monroe, etc. It's worth a try anyway. But like someone else sain, there may not be a market for it. But in this economy, there's always a market for saving money.:) So somebody may buy into it.

agreed. no one makes anything you could adapt to it. so you would have to make everything for yourself, then get a company to buy it for a car that is 12-17 years old. i like the idea and its nice to dream, but in reality its just that

Like I said before, the design won't be exclusive to the Mark VIII. The current Navigator uses a combined air spring/shock in the front and rear that is similar in design to the Mark VIII's. And many other manufacturers have been using the integrated air spring/shock for many years. Therefore, the design will work on many types of vehicles other than just Mark VIII's.

It's great to think outside the box like this.
If I remember right, one issue that everyone has is acquiring quality rubber to use when rebuilding the air springs.

True. The shocks can be replaced. However, the process is difficult, time consuming, and may or may not work. Replacing the air bladder is a different story. I've never seen any replacement bags for sale anywhere. You have to buy the whole unit and then tear it apart to change the shocks out. And pray you did a good job and sealed everything back up so they don't leak and/or blow out.

You are like a MarkVIII mad scientist, but I mean it in a good way. Keep thinking up stuff, who knows you might think of something great.

Thanks! I've got all kinds of ideas. But the air suspension has always held a special place in my heart. It's a great idea but the replacement parts are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive. Especially for somebody on a non-existent budget like mine. Until I got my '96 Mark, I had never in my life paid more than $30 bucks for a shock absorber. I'm still refining the design and hopefully simplifying it. But I don't have a whole lot of time to work on it. And I don't have a good CAD program on my computer right now.

Companies like BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar could care less what it costs to fix the crap they put out on the market.

Most who buy this crap could care less what it costs to fix it.

I beg to differ. Go visit any Mercedes, BMW LR, etc. forums and see how much owners bitch and moan about how much it costs to get something fixed out of warranty, Nut.

Manufacturers (especially high end ones) to try to make cost of ownership as low as possible within reason. They don't want you to buy one of their cars only to have it in the shop more than it's on the road. If that's the case, people will go buy brand Y instead of brand X. They also don't want you to pay through the nose if at all possible. Of course, you end up doing so, especially on specialty parts.

Now, is it all relative? Sure. An oil change on say, a Mercedes is right at 120 dollars. But you do get a 10,000 mile service interval, a nice fleece filter, a thorough go-over the car and a nice car bath with that.

Most people change the oil every 3,000 miles (this I don't understand why people change it so often, but eh..), for a cost of what, about 40 dollars? 3 oil changes and 9,000 miles later, you're at 120 dollars. Again, all relative.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Members online

No members online now.
Back