dash showing E for the selected gear

smok3smok3

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 LS 3.9.

Am I in deep poop?

What does this mean? Where do I begin, I'm totally lost.

Thanks in advance

Is that the only symptom? Are you in SST, D4 or D5. Or does it do it in all three? Does it still drive?

To be honest it just happened, I didn't know which gear it was in because it showed E. It beeped, said check transmission and showed E.

D5 is what I drive in, so thats what I had it in when this happened. It has been acting odd lately but I thought it was just me being over critical or something.

Seems like it's happening when it shifts from 3 to 4, it gives a little shudder, then its fine, not very noticeable at all but I feel it because I drive it everyday, I know how it should behave and it's a little bit off of where it should be.

Today was the first time I ever saw the E.

Oh, not good. Do a search because I think this has come up before. The bottom line is that you will likely need to take it to your local favorite tranny shop.

And by tranny I'm not referring to that hot babe you took back to your hotel room that night in Vegas that you are still trying to forget.

Yeah I have read just about every result on the search.... none mentioned the E on the dash but similar symptoms.

Thanks.

i always get the E in place of D5 within five minutes of driving due to needing a new transmission. i thought the solenoid pack was bad but i was told i need a new transmission.

I had that same "E" indicator, thought it was the solenoid but it turns out to be that it needed a torque converter, tranny rebuild kit and some tranny bands... Oh and the spring on the 3-4 pre-stroke valve in the valve body... had a mechanic do it all for $1300.00 parts and everything and he guaranteed the job for a year, which is not bad IMHO....

As opposed to the dealer which was charging me $4278.95 (thieves)..

Thank God for mom & pops shops

I thought that it was partially due to a poor connection. Remember the acceleration vid that 02LSE.....posted when he put the 4.10's in, he actually caught the "mystery beep" and "E" on camera.

Damn thing won't play. I guess it's due to the new embedding tech the admins added. Anywho, here is the link to the original thread:http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=36964&page=2
It's only there for a portion of a second, around 16 sec into the video.

Could be nothing, could be serious. We may never know.

Last edited:
Valve Body

when my 2001 gave me the "E" I took it to the Lincoln Dealer and they put it on the Diognostic machine,Cost me $60 or $80 and told me it was my Valve Body and they would do it for around $900.I called them back and asked how much a Valve Body would cost and thru them it was $460, called Ford Dealer got one for $440, and did it myself. that was 3 - 4 yrs ago.

My car didnt take the Park gear so I repaired my tranny a year ago and since then I get this message every once in a while... let me know if its the solenoid pack

Members online

No members online now.
Back