Check Transmission?

omrjln

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got "Check Transmission" on the dash!!!

Any ideas what the issue could be?

I did notice, after getting the notice, that shifting was rougher and not smooth as always and also there were a couple of kicks here and there!!!

Any idea about costs too? and best (cheapest) place to get it fixed around SW PA (Pittsburgh area)?

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjAtMjAwOTEwMjEtMTgzM.jpg
[/IMG]

i get this to, but only when doing highway, and doing it for more than an hour or so. It shifts hard just like you said,but if you leave it for w few hours it goes back to normal. I have been driving like this for over 8000kms, and if you get it scanned it will say TORQUE CONVERTER IN OFF POSITION.

Transmission message

:) Never had that message show, but when I purchased my showroom perfect 97 Conti last year with 105K miles from my cousin I noticed that there was a slight tugging or jerking at around 65 mph. When I asked when he last had the transmission fluid changed he said he didn't ever recall doing it. WOW. And this is a person who is meticulous with his cars. So I had the pan dropped, filter changed/cleaned and then had them flush/exchange fluid as well. It's been as smooth as silk since then.

Ford transmissions are notorious for developing problems if the fluid is not changed every 30K or so. A mechanic advised that I use the flush/exchange method one time and the next time drop the pan, take care of the filter and add the necessary fluid. I also do this with my Toyotas (Sienna and Avalon) and did it with my 1990 Camry that was perfect until my daughter wrecked it with 186K miles several years ago.

We both love driving our Conti but basically it has become my wife's car.
Consigliere:)

Go and get the vehicle scanned, some auto parts stores do it for free. Get the code that comes up. Then google that code. Remember codes start with P0 the 0 is zero not the letter, I tell you this because you wont find search if you use letter O instead of zero.

I had it checked and it came back with code P1744 (Torque Converter Clutch System Stuck in Off Position).

The guy said to bring it back next week for a couple of more tests, so do you guys thing this will cost much?

Looks like I'll be needing 1 too.

Whats the best place to get a rebuilt transmission? Online?

BTW, I'm in Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks guys

Did you google that code? might just be bad TCC solenoid which is still expensive to have changed. I would get tranny rebuilt if you think the car is worth it.

Members online

Back