Cars like to run warm i guess?

Well i think i cracked the code, if my defrost is on the fan actually runs at about 16 percent, regardless of temp and regardless of ac button being on or off, no defrost\ac then no fan till it's too hot and too late. Interesting. Only been doing short trips so it's never been over 196 since I've discovered this, perhaps tomorrow if it have time I'll drive harder\father and see what happens.

Many years back when I had to do my first cooling system rebuild (at 130k)... I went to the dealer to get my parts... and everyone was looking at me cause the fan sounded like a jet engine powering up for takeoff.

The fan did it's job... holding the temp steady.

No "critical overheat" warning in the message center... or red light of death.

That was 115k ago.

Many years back when I had to do my first cooling system rebuild (at 130k)... I went to the dealer to get my parts... and everyone was looking at me cause the fan sounded like a jet engine powering up for takeoff.

The fan did it's job... holding the temp steady.

No "critical overheat" warning in the message center... or red light of death.

That was 115k ago.
Ya mines definitely not doing that. It's definitely linked to the ac\defrost modes for sure though. I'll have to make fixing the ac a priority, then it should work better from the looks of it.

Yes, well it's winter and it's getting up to 226 and the fan only runs 6 percent, would go hotter if i didn't stop, but now the engine just started knocking\tapping so i might not have to worry about it anymore, ha!

Was just sitting in a parking lot and revved it up to 2k for like 15 seconds to get coolant flowing to cool it down and it just started making noise. I was driving hard prior to the event but i can't believe it broke in a parking lot under no load however, just my luck, ha

fan should not go into high speed ever. you should be maxing out at around 212 idling for hours on the hottest summer day.

remember the ford 3.9 has no coolant temp sensor. it’s inferred from the head temp sensor. they tend to read a little higher
Agree

Sounds like your LS was abused before you owned it
Indeed, was definitely abused after i got it too, but I've only put a few thousand miles on it, always been broke down, haha!

Say what you will but i think the fan should be at full speed before the fucker hits 230 degrees and overheats, why keep it running 25 precent? Fucking retarded.

Just out of curiosity... what was the ambient temp... and the type/weight of oil you were using at the time?
Not really sure, just installed new oil pan, i had motorcraft whatever it calls for in it prior, forget the weight, but the mechanic may have used something else when he changed the pan, I'll have to ask. It was most likely in the 50s or 60s at most, Fahrenheit, I'm in Las Vegas.

With no leaks anymore my 05 is running between 192-196 max always. 220 sounds high for sure.

2yrs later and a new engine Im disappointed that im running about 204-208. Zero leaks new water pump etc. The fan starts roaring away at about 203. All I can think of is that the aftermarket pump design doesnt generate enough pressure or the Ford Gold coolant runs warmer than the 50 50 green prestone I used last. Even with a leak on my old motor I never ran this hot.

Actual overheating isn't till somewhere over 230. They keep it warm to lower emissions and increase mileage.
I have checked numerous cooling system hoses on my LS V8. Most are "in range" except for a couple smaller ones that go to the throttle body from the back.

That one reads 230 f, but doesn't go any higher. It's always been that way since I have owned the car.

And yes... aftermarket pump is probably poor quality junk.

Somebody on here provided a link to the all metal factory Jag water pump. Not sure where it's at now.

And yes... aftermarket pump is probably poor quality junk.

Somebody on here provided a link to the all metal factory Jag water pump. Not sure where it's at now.

Im just trying to see if maybe the AF pump is not as efficient as the OEM one. I dont know why some motors run much warmer than others. Will be comparing the pumps soon..

Im just trying to see if maybe the AF pump is not as efficient as the OEM one. I dont know why some motors run much warmer than others. Will be comparing the pumps soon..
Im interested in what you find out about them.

Say what you will but i think the fan should be at full speed before the fucker hits 230 degrees and overheats, why keep it running 25 precent? Fucking retarded.
Seems to me that shortly after you joined this forum, you were having the same issue and "jerry rigged" something up to control the fan.

Is that setup still being used? Maybe you need to undo what you first did, and see if the fan will then run correctly.

As a side thought... maybe your CHT sensor is getting tired. (yes... that requires removing the intake manifold)

Seems to me that shortly after you joined this forum, you were having the same issue and "jerry rigged" something up to control the fan.

Is that setup still being used? Maybe you need to undo what you first did, and see if the fan will then run correctly.

As a side thought... maybe your CHT sensor is getting tired. (yes... that requires removing the intake manifold)
Ya this thread is over 2 years old, my car still waiting for motor to be installed

I dont quite understand the"operating temp range". What is the purpose of that? Just to tell you the max it can tolerate before overheating or the range it can run with different types of coolant?

If all 3.9 setups are the same at least gen 2, and I had the old motor running in the mid 190's I would think anything hotter is not normal and has a problem with it.

I have the exact same cooling system on the new motor with new o-rings and AF water pump. I haven't lost a drop of coolant in almost 3000 miles. Maybe the CHT are faulty? Thinking of switching back to the all purpose green prestone with another OEM thermostat first to see if it drops while comparing the pumps.

I dont quite understand the"operating temp range". ...
Different temperatures are "ideal" for emissions mainly, but some other things too. Newer cars (my current one included) have the PCM in control of the opening temperature of the thermostat. Before they started doing that, the PCM has some control by varying when and how hard they would run the fan. The LS is probably in this category.

Members online

Back