Burning Oil smell VERY randomly from heat vent?

James7723

New LVC Member
Reaction score
OK so I bought A PRISTINE 2001 Lincoln LS (V8) with 180k MILES, Looks brand new inside and out( I say this because it was garage kept and rarely driven by a older lady and I heard that's not always good for the car) When I got it, it was smoking like crazy becauze the guy spilled a bunch of oil on it, so bad that smoke was coming through heat vent, burned most of that off though on the first day but I still randomly get the burning oil smell when I'm stopped. (no smoke though. Not even off the engine bay that I can tell) But it's very random, might happen one day and not the next, no matter how long I leave the car running. Also when I got the car I had to get the hydraulic fan replaced because the car was overheating due to it failing, and the mechanic said he had it on a lift for a hour and saw no leaks, he also checked all the gaskets. I'm not very good with cars but the other day I noticed the drivers side blows WAY hotter than the passengers, most of the time, so I figured that's just a valve but figured I'd mention it. Because Iof this I thought maybe the water heater was going out but I checked the inlet and outlet tubes on the water heater and it's kinda weird cause according to my diagram, the OUTLET is hotter than the Intel? That doesn't make much sense to me but I have no symptoms of Failing water heater and the mechanic also said the smell was burning oil. I had him check it out too but he said for him it started after like 10 mins of running and then went away so he figured burning oil off the motor was likely. Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated!

20231222_100717.jpg

DCCV problems are almost common. The DCCV controls the temperature for each side. Don't replace with aftermarket.
Minor Oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets will burn off on the exhaust manifolds and not drip down.

DCCV problems are almost common. The DCCV controls the temperature for each side. Don't replace with aftermarket.
Minor Oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets will burn off on the exhaust manifolds and not drip down.
Ah, so prob just a very minor oil leak then huh? That's why it's so random? Thanks for the info

Ah, so prob just a very minor oil leak then huh? That's why it's so random? Thanks for the info
It's not something to panic about, but nothing to ignore either. If oil is leaking into the spark plug wells, it will eventually damage the ignitions coils.

At 180k... It is probably due for new valve cover gaskets anyway.

Yes, the o-rings fail in the plug wells... which saturates the plug boots... which then causes the coils to fail.

I recommend changing valve cover gaskets! You'll probably find oil down in the sparkplug openings. You'll need to blow out with compressed air. Might as well change plugs while your in there. Will take a day, passenger side is fairly easy drivers side more difficult.

Members online

No members online now.
Back