Anyone installed a tow hook on the front?

Torx

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking to install a tow hook to the front bumper, or lower grill area since i have a truck now i can pull this if i get stranded again.
Has anyone done an install, and if so what parts were used and location of drilling, etc Thanks

Your front and rear bumpers likely have a small removal square, rectangle or circular piece, behind that will be a threaded hole, you can screw a tow hook into that.

Your car might already come with a tow hook located somewhere in the boot next to the jack and spare tire.

1710455502806.png

Your front and rear bumpers likely have a small removal square, rectangle or circular piece, behind that will be a threaded hole, you can screw a tow hook into that.

Your car might already come with a tow hook located somewhere in the boot next to the jack and spare tire.

View attachment 828578612
First gen, yes. Second gen, no. (His is second gen.)

First gen, yes. Second gen, no. (His is second gen.)
Gen 1 (non-LSE) has the removable lower grill section, but there's no threaded receiver behind there. Just some flat plate with small holes that is also present on the driver side. Seems the same plate for all years. I never could figure out the point. Did a receiver get deleted sometime prior to production? Is a tow hook suppose to reach further in? I have the bumper cover off so maybe I should take a look again

As for OP, I did actually install a hook receiver. I got a universal bracket from Rennline and bolted through the bumper support so it'd be accessible through the lower grille. It protruded threateningly towards the radiator and probably wouldn't offer much strength through the bumper. It's currently removed and I don't really plan to put it back. I might try to work something out against the actual body instead and look for a long tow hook. I believe Rennline had a number of longer options. Maybe put this project on the shortlist of the new welder projects

That being said... I just had the thought to look up what the S-type has. Looks like maybe this is the part that was deleted before production. Seems like the bolt pattern matches if the U is mounted horizontally.

XR8317N804AC from ebay listings is listed for 03-08 S-type. I don't see anything for 1st gen Jag
1710903794641.jpeg

1710902782630.jpeg

driver side, passenger side is mirrored but pic available was bent

Found this in a bumper removal video of an 03 S-type R. So different support bar, and no sideways U-bar mounting. It's interfere with the longitudinal tube mounting face anyway. I wonder if it's only an R thing. Correction to the above, only Gen 1 Sport got the removable cover. Base (chrome strips under headlights) had a solid lower grille despite looking identical
1710904494620.png

Gen 1 (non-LSE) has the removable lower grill section, but there's no threaded receiver behind there. Just some flat plate with small holes that is also present on the driver side. Seems the same plate for all years. I never could figure out the point. Did a receiver get deleted sometime prior to production? ...
I expect that you are right. It could well be that only the handful of LSes that went to Europe and Japan ever had the tow hook. Originally, the LS would going to be sold worldwide, but I think that plan did die before the LS ever made it to real production.

Members online

No members online now.
Back