Another radio post / question

joespanova

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My wifes LS ( 2001 ) has no sound coming from the dr. frt. dr. speaker. I have another LS radio , so I tried the swap test to see if it indeed is the speaker...................and it wouldn't work with the other unit as well, meaning either the speaker quit or? Who knows.....

Anyway a few questions ( I tried the search so dont break my balz about that ).....

First , I have what appears to be 8 speakers , but 4 of those could be 2 way so I dont know if this car has the premium package or not?
Secondly , the replacement radio doesn't have the same code on the back MEANING it may not be compatible with the sub ? I know it doesnt sound the same as far as power so it apparently doesn't interface with the sub.
Finally , has anyone ever had a speaker FAIL? I mean just QUIT?

Thank ya

If you have subs on your gen I, then you would have the 12 speaker system. 2 subs, 8 door speaker (2 per door), and 2 center console speakers. That would be premium.
Alternately, you could have just the door speakers.
There are lots of "codes" and part numbers. An exact match does not mean it won't work. If all the connectors match up and plug into the replacement radio, then the subs should work. (Odds are good that they are shot by now anyway though.)
Yes, speakers do fail. (Of course, it could be the wiring instead.)

has anyone ever had a speaker FAIL? I mean just QUIT?

literally almost every day of my life (except for my days off work) I am replacing speakers, most of the time it is not because somebody want to replace a perfectly fine set of speakers because they are in search for better sound...

in fact, 9 out of 10 times it is because one or more speakers are blown. a blown speaker can be anywhere from dead silent, to mostly works but clicks and pops all the time.

as far as trouble shooting, and time just one speaker quits (and its not a jeep XJ...) I always expect the problem with the speaker. any time all of the speakers quit, I expect either the headunit or the premium sound amp (if present and used for that speaker) wiring issues between the two, while they do happen, I find that they are fairly rare (unless the car was wrecked or had water damage then all bets are off)

Members online

No members online now.
Back