Aluminum CIA

01lssport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just finished half of the CIA today. Works great and sounds even better. I have another peice of tubing that will relocate the KKM filter to in front of the fender-well. Thought I would give you guys a look at the progress.

CAI intake.jpg

CAI*

And how is the air going into the engine cold again? Seems a lof the the air going into the engine will be sucked from the engine compartment. Nice hot air.. That'll help with power.... :rolleyes: Time to use that other piece of tubing, and start sucking air from the fender panel area.

:p

I have done some CAI work on my other cars so i recently thought i'd give it a try with the LS for a few reasons but mainly the little to zero cost involved. First off, those aluminum intake tube's look very cool if you spend alot of time with your hood open, otherwise the benefit is very minimal. I havent done any scientific testing myself but i'd be willing to bet the stock abs plastic intake has as good, if not better heat resistance than those aluminum tubes, therefore would have a better/cooler intake temp. Also as most point out about those cone filters there benefit is minimal because they too will suck in warmer/underhood air with only marginally better airflow than a stock paper filter. A heat shield may help alittle but depending on its contruction would start to absorb and radiate heat from the engine compartment anyway. I have decided to keep the stock intake and gutted out the bottom. This provides a nice opening that matches with the well known hole going behind the bumper. I believe the stock plastic intake does a great job with keeping the intake temp. down while providing plenty of airflow to the throttle body, a K&N or such type filter is replacing the stock paper type for easier maintenance and improved airflow. I have some old tubing and plastic that i am gonna run thru the bumper up into the opening and into the bottom of the airbox. I am going to fab a new "box" to accept this tubing and connect to the existing stock setup, this will allow only air from the lower intake straight thru to the filter and into the stock tubing. I dont expect too much difference but i am sure there will be some improvment along with some fun fiddling around.

Excellent job! A very clean installation.

Question: Do the connections come in other colors? I like the blue you used, but I was just wondering if they came in red?

Fla02LS said:
I have done some CAI work on my other cars so i recently thought i'd give it a try with the LS for a few reasons but mainly the little to zero cost involved. First off, those aluminum intake tube's look very cool if you spend alot of time with your hood open, otherwise the benefit is very minimal. I havent done any scientific testing myself but i'd be willing to bet the stock abs plastic intake has as good, if not better heat resistance than those aluminum tubes, therefore would have a better/cooler intake temp. Also as most point out about those cone filters there benefit is minimal because they too will suck in warmer/underhood air with only marginally better airflow than a stock paper filter. A heat shield may help alittle but depending on its contruction would start to absorb and radiate heat from the engine compartment anyway. I have decided to keep the stock intake and gutted out the bottom. This provides a nice opening that matches with the well known hole going behind the bumper. I believe the stock plastic intake does a great job with keeping the intake temp. down while providing plenty of airflow to the throttle body, a K&N or such type filter is replacing the stock paper type for easier maintenance and improved airflow. I have some old tubing and plastic that i am gonna run thru the bumper up into the opening and into the bottom of the airbox. I am going to fab a new "box" to accept this tubing and connect to the existing stock setup, this will allow only air from the lower intake straight thru to the filter and into the stock tubing. I dont expect too much difference but i am sure there will be some improvment along with some fun fiddling around.

I have 2 LSes, both V6s. My wife's has the bottom of the airbox removed, and a K & N filter. Mine has the smooth, stainless intake tube and a cone filter with a home made heat shield. My butt-dyno says mine is quicker, even though I have about twice the mileage.

YMMV

No I'm not selling them on e-bay. As you can see this is a one piece unlike the two peice intakes you see on e-bay. I have enough tubing and couplers to make two more if some wants to do it themselves. I can sell the materials cheap.

As for the couplers colors, they do come in red. They are very expensive though. I would have liked to have done red.

LS4me said:
I have 2 LSes, both V6s. My wife's has the bottom of the airbox removed, and a K & N filter. Mine has the smooth, stainless intake tube and a cone filter with a home made heat shield. My butt-dyno says mine is quicker, even though I have about twice the mileage.

YMMV
Thats a great way to compare. I think the louder sound from both the tube & cone produce that added faster feeling. I'd take them to a track and do some runs, thats a great way to put the end to that comparison. I'm still in the "scratching my head" phase on my little project.

LMAO

My butt-dyno says mine is quicker, even though I have about twice the mileage.

YMMV[/QUOTE]

What size tubing/hose will fit thru the hole under the airbox ?

Fla02LS said:
What size tubing/hose will fit thru the hole under the airbox ?

I used a 3" flex hose. You just have to squeeze it a little to get it throught the hole since its not a true circle.

Members online

Back