About to purchase one of these

medphys

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My daughter needs a car for less than 6K and is expecting in February. I have located and am considering one of these two, 1st gen 6 with 65K or 04 V8 w/95K...can and will get carfax and test drive. I can do the coil changes and other basic DIY . any opinions pro or con on either? Both were auction cars and have no known maintenance history. Can my dealership contact run the VIN's through OASIS ? Thanks

http://www.audubonwholesale.com/2001_Lincoln_LS_Metairie_LA_234659630.veh

http://www.audubonwholesale.com/2004_Lincoln_LS_Metairie_LA_235567197.veh

Congrats! The consensus out of those two will probably be the newer one. But yeah, take it for a test drive (or both) . Mileage or years on a car doesn't necessarily mean a good buy

Glad you said you like to DIY

Buy the 04 and then:

Change all the fluids, replace VCG's, Coils, Plugs, DCCV, Degas, Upper/Lower Rad hoses, Thermostat with housing, epoxy the headliner around 3rd brake light, check suspension parts for wear and replace - what is necessary, hope it has good tires and then you should be all good to go.

Good Luck :)

Ha, I haven't had all of those problems but most on my '06. I know what u mean and expected that. Some of my other comparatives were the gen difference and 2nd gen upgrades. ( when I owned my 1st , a 2000 and then a 2003 I had mostly rear window regulator probs. coils only twice over 6 yrs and two cars. and some sun roof leakage during rain. The 6 cyl COP failures compared to V8, the cost of running 91+ octane at $4/gal, cause its my daughter vs reg in the 6, the potential diff in insurance for a 24 yr old with GEICO. between the sport and base? Can I hook up my OBDII reader and get previous codes? Ill deff ck the tires and I always wanted the wheels on the 04 compared to what i have. Ill probably swap wheels...shell get my 06 5 spoke. Thanks, they're closed today and I have an apt for Monday with mgr he said he had authority to deal...however much I can get under 6k Ill spend on maintenance. or compression and suspension, AC checks. I just changed the thermostat and housing on my 06 for like 1k...Degas was Ok, hoses changed and new DCCV last summer

not sure if buying a sub $5k LS is the greatest ideal.

low budget, expensive luxury cars will require a lot more maintenance than most

both of those cars are at the age or mileage where sh!t is gonna get expensive... if she can only afford spending $5k on the car, what will she do when it comes time to spends thousands fixing stuff? (for the record, almost every repair I've had to do tends to cost at least $500)

6k and I know the problems , but my wife is getting her something so she can get to work and will not spend 10K, since she is a repeat offender. I want a heavy car with some safety rating and am real familiar with the LS. I buy American and have to consider her aesthetic though irrational sense to some extent. I am recommending buying a warranty for a little less than 1k to cover whatever I cant fix... Hey Im an LS guy, what can I say, If its good enuff for me its good enuff for my daughter, despite the sacrifices,

Hey Im an LS guy, what can I say, If its good enuff for me its good enuff for my daughter, despite the sacrifices,

hey I get it, most of the time I love my LS. there are a lot of times I wouldn't recommend one to someone. I don't mind wrenching on my car from time to time (wouldn't mind if there were a little more "to" in between the times lol) but the last thing I want to do is wrench on my wifes car all the time... one thing you don't want to forget is that you have an 06, arguably the best and most reliable of all the other years... buy the time yours was built, they had a lot of the little crap figured out.

its just at their ages, they are ready for a whole lot of work (unless its all already been done) I'm sure either of them will soon (if not already) quite a bit of stuff put into them. at 100K on on the second gen, its probably due for a suspension overhaul of all the little parts, and won't be long before needed shocks (which are frightfully expensive nowadays). bet on soon needing a full cooling system replacement.

sorry my mistake. but doesn't really change much.

at least its good that you already know the platform and you know what all you'll need to do and have a great resource to fixing just about everything!

Ha, I haven't had all of those problems but most on my '06. I know what u mean and expected that. Some of my other comparatives were the gen difference and 2nd gen upgrades. ( when I owned my 1st , a 2000 and then a 2003 I had mostly rear window regulator probs. coils only twice over 6 yrs and two cars. and some sun roof leakage during rain. The 6 cyl COP failures compared to V8, the cost of running 91+ octane at $4/gal, cause its my daughter vs reg in the 6, the potential diff in insurance for a 24 yr old with GEICO. between the sport and base? Can I hook up my OBDII reader and get previous codes? Ill deff ck the tires and I always wanted the wheels on the 04 compared to what i have. Ill probably swap wheels...shell get my 06 5 spoke. Thanks, they're closed today and I have an apt for Monday with mgr he said he had authority to deal...however much I can get under 6k Ill spend on maintenance. or compression and suspension, AC checks. I just changed the thermostat and housing on my 06 for like 1k...Degas was Ok, hoses changed and new DCCV last summer

After having both 6 and 8 I assure you gas should never be a consideration. They both require 91+ and the 6 gets a whopping 1mpg better than the V8. Coil changes in the V6 are also a royal pain. I've done it 3 times and my best time is 3 hours. I can do both my V8's in 3 hours.....

not likely to find anybody interested on this side of the LVC world

Now...... If it were '58 Series 62........

1950-1959-cadillac-6.jpg

1950-1959-cadillac-6.jpg

Lol Maybe he was hoping the guy who started the thread would be, similar price range, big heavy safe car, but I agree, he should have posted a thread WITH PICTURES! in the Deville section, not that someone from LVC would definitely buy it, but it'll certainly get more attention there. :rolleyes:

also it doesn't help that the LS driving demographic is probably as far away from the Deville driving demographic as you can get (not saying that there is anything wrong with the car, just that its is on completely different ends of the luxury spectrum)

also doesn't help that the OP is pretty set on getting an LS as mentioned above...

and lastly, with it being his first post here, he really nailed the trifecta of poor posting.

also it doesn't help that the LS driving demographic is probably as far away from the Deville driving demographic as you can get (not saying that there is anything wrong with the car, just that its is on completely different ends of the luxury spectrum)

also doesn't help that the OP is pretty set on getting an LS as mentioned above...

and lastly, with it being his first post here, he really nailed the trifecta of poor posting.
Lol that's very true, the Deville might be a pretty quick car, but it sure won't carve corners like an LS will, your typical lead sled. I'll tell you what though, you'd be surprised just how capable they are, even base and DHS models without the road sensing suspension. Much more controlled and planted then a Town Car, but then again the Town Car is an even more traditional American luxury car.

I would say the biggest difference is that the caddy has a much more sophisticated suspension system. the town car however is probably on of the strongest and most durable chassis out there being as its mostly the same as taxi's and cop cars! the caddy is definitely the more comfortable car, but if i was involved in any kind of chase (police or otherwise) I would want the towncar!

Members online

No members online now.
Back