97 Conti Air Ride issues

napoleon1072

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My 97 contis rear was down when I walked out of the house, I turned the key on and it pumped back up in a matter of seconds and didn't go back down for the rest of the day. The next day I walk out and she's completely up so I'm like ok it's a fluke. Today I go outside and she's back down once again I turn the key and she pumps right back up and is all good. I get off work and park her in the driveway at noon and left in another vehicle till about after 8 and she's down but again pumps right back up. What kind of issues might I be looking at? Bags? a leak somewhere in the lines? anything I've left out?

All the way down, because it will lower when you shut it off, and self level 10-15 minutes later.

all the way down as in I've been driving this car for years and never seen it this low :p

I would email Suncore (think Bill is the owner). They are absolutely fantastic if you need a part, or even if you want an opinion on what is wrong with Continental air ride issues. On a weeknd my air ride on drivers front died and the compressor was making wierd noises. They communicated back to me over the weekend (which they didnt need to do), and when I wasnt sure the new part was working correctly, he worked with me. Turns out it was ok, but just is flatter when I park. Anyway the point is that based on my experience, they go beyond the call of duty to make sure you are happy considering my order was just for one unit-not a huge sale for the company.

...."when I wasnt sure the new part was working correctly, he worked with me. Turns out it was ok, but just is flatter when I park"

What is "flatter when you park?" The sensor makes sure the rearend is at the correct height. It doesn't matter what air spring is there. The car should lower a tad when you first get out....and not go down anymore after that. If it goes down any more....it is leaking.

To answer the original question, the air springs are going to be the problem. It IS textbook air suspension for it to go down one night....and not the next. Early in the stages of a leak anyway. In time, it'll leak all the time.

Replace the rear air springs -AND- reseal the solenoids and you'll be back in business.

BTW, be carefull who you listen too. Alot of companies on the net advertise "tech help", but in reality, their nothing more than a salesman trying to get you to buy what makes them the most money. One important question would be.....are you "ASE Certified" or even better, "Ford/Lincoln Certified"? If not, your talking to a salesperson.

1997 Continental Rear Suspension

I have to say that if I had the money, I would have replaced the bags with bags etc. I went through strutmasters for the spring conversion. The problem is that our cars are just plain heavy and the springs don't keep up with the front of the car. So here is the remedy. Monroe 40015 passive shock absorbers with the spring kit already installed and helper clamps on the springs. I have 3 kids, a full tank of gas and groceries and that setup helps alot. Kinda ghetto but nowhere near the astronomical price of going full OEM.

Hey guys,

I have since replaced my bags with the conversion kit as mentioned. Turned out to be a leak in the bags. ContinentalDr1ft makes a good point about when the car is loaded up the springs don't maintain support as well as bags did.

Members online

No members online now.
Back