3.0 X Type Timing Tensioners

SoulSoak

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I know this is completely unrelated to the LS but does anyone know if the timing tensioners in the '03 Jaguar X Type 3.0 V6 are plastic? For the longest time I thought the 3.0 in the LS was the same motor but apparently it's different... Unless the researching I've been doing is all false.

Anyhow, I only bring this up because I'm selling my Honda that I picked up for a winter beater. I'm getting $2500 for it and only played $1500 so that's good. Anyhow, I found an '03 X Type 3.0 V6 AWD with a standard 5 speed trans with only 100k miles for $3,000. It's been a Cali car up until last year. Very clean.

So I figure I'll basically be trading the Civic for it without much cost on my end. I have an onslaught of suspension parts on there way for the LS, and this clean X Type will be my other project.

Aside from all of that, if it does however have plastic tensioners then that's going to be my first maintenance. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

I was under the impression that it was pretty much the same engine, unless that changed after Ford sold Jaguar. I am also under the impression that the X type is considered one of the worst of the Jaguars...

I was under the impression that it was pretty much the same engine, unless that changed after Ford sold Jaguar. I am also under the impression that the X type is considered one of the worst of the Jaguars...

Yeah I've heard the same but I figure I can maintain it since it won't be my only car. And I love the body style, combined with an awd standard trans platform. Sounds fun

Don't think they have tensioner problems, but they have plenty of other problems.

Well its not related to the ls, but Google it. No shortage of forum posts about them.

from what I've seen, the X type defines the kind of reliability that jaguar was known for (I'll give them this, their newer models have improved greatly from where they were even just a decade ago)

Well unfortunately I didn't buy it. It drove great, handled amazing, and was very clean. Driving a standard trans while behind the wheel of that thing was a blast and really put a smile on my face.

However, the guy was firm on his $3,000 asking price, and wouldn't take the $2500 cash I had brought. I'm sure it's all for good reason. Thanks for the input guys, as always, God bless.

Maybe there's a Vulcan OHV/Duratec DOHC mixup? Both are 3.0L V6 Fords available in Tauruses

Oh and I'm sorry I was under the impression that the jag was a 3.0. It ended up being the 2.5

I have a feeling if I offered him $2600 he'd take it. But I made up my mind that I'd only offer $2500 and if it doesn't happen then it ain't meant to be. It has new intake manifold gaskets and new plugs. And the underside is clean enough to eat off, cleaner than my LS even. But I noticed it would need brakes soon enough, and I also know I need to be prepared for any other maintenance.

Just sucks cuz I also found a wrecked '04 being parted out and has the same color interior with only 60k miles. And that guy offered both front seats for $80 picked up. (The front seats in the jag I was considering buying are the only things that show wear, and it's still only minimal reasonable wear).

I may still end up buying it, sleeping on it a bit. We'll see.

Members online

No members online now.
Back