1994 Lincoln Mark VIII turns over but no start, DTC code 542, VCRM?

BigUziLinc

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a 94 Mark VIII that's closing up on 60 000 miles. I have owned the car for about 6 months now and it has never given me any issues as I daily drove 3x a week to university and back until last morning. I got in the car and tried to start it and no luck. Just kept turning over. Using obd1 I've pulled the following codes without being able to perform a proper test where the car needs to be warmed up first according to my obd1 manual:

Koeo test
116 - coolant temp - this makes sense as again car not warmed up before test
636 - trans fluid temp - ^
542- fuel pump secondary circuit - I'm guessing this is my cause of no start

Continuous mem
172- too lean bank 1 bank 1 - This was a problem I was hoping to have fixed a week or two ago as I had an intake leak with the discontinued gasket between the throttle body and plastic intake tubing but I have had the CE light come on still after about 10 min of driving or heating up the exhaust.
542- same as Koeo test
634- TMPLS/Range sensor- This is a known issue that I've had for a bit with the car with my sensor that has caused the car to have shifting issues when shifting to OD and sometimes 3rd. I've read this can give rise to no start as well but I've tried to start the car in neutral and in park with no luck. If I can get the car running enough, I was going to pull my car into the driveway from the roadside so I cold actually jack it up and replace this.

I have checked all fuses I know of that could be affecting the fuel pump in the engine bay and by reading the forums I have a suspicion that my VCRM module has gone bad as it controls the low speed fuel pump relay. Is there any advice on other aspects to test/ check first that would be a less PITA than changing the VCRM?

Update: I have removed the current VCRM from the car and the plastic connection part of the module is cracked. Is this a clear sign of a bad unit? or should I do further testing on it? Where could. Find a new unit as they seem to be discountidued?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!!

Best Regards,
Uzi

Can you here the fuel pump turn on?
And a regular problem for a no Start is the crank shaft position sensor and or its harness

Can’t seem to hear the fuel pump turn on, but then again I don’t think I’ve ever heard it turn on throughout my ownership. I’ll replace the crank and cam position sensor to help rule those out as well since they’re meant to go bad with old age at some points anyways.

Thanks and happy new year

Update,
I've replaced the cam and crank position sensors - no luck still same issue and same symptoms
replaced the VCRM with a supposedly working 1995 VCRM that had the same big two letters matching my old one - no luck

Could my no start but turning over be because of my TMPLS/Range sensor as I read that the range sensor wiring and the temp sensors are linked so this could be the real cause of the low temp errors? and is there other things I should consider looking at before towing my car into the $$$mechanic$$$

You need to verify fuel pressure at the fuel rail. When you turn the key on, the fuel pump should run for a few seconds. You can cycle the key on/off a few times to "prime" the fuel system with pressure. Remove the schrader valve cap on the fuel rail and hook up a fuel pump test gauge to verify fuel pressure. A cheap gauge with adapter fittings is available at most any parts store. Heck, they may even loan you one for free.

I had no fuel. With everything done so far it was most likely fuel pump, took it in to mechanic and they replaced it and car runs as before. Now onto replace the pcv

Members online

No members online now.
Back