Suspension problem

Ringmaster

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
02 LS V8 Sport. Yesterday when I left home I noticed a drivability problem for the first time. This has come from out of nowhere. When the car experiences a dip or undulation in the road it wants to go to the right momentarly. No problems tracking when driving on a level smooth road. It seems to happen when the suspension unloads. It feels like the car has been hit by a gust of wind. No noises when it happens. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

02 LS V8 Sport. Yesterday when I left home I noticed a drivability problem for the first time. This has come from out of nowhere. When the car experiences a dip or undulation in the road it wants to go to the right momentarly. No problems tracking when driving on a level smooth road. It seems to happen when the suspension unloads. It feels like the car has been hit by a gust of wind. No noises when it happens. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Broken/worn out shock(s)?

This is tough w/o driving it.. My guess would be (like LS4me said) broken/worn out shocks or possibly strut bearing? Does the steering wheel return (want to make the car go strait) when you turn? If it does, then that usually rules out the strut bearing..

Yes, steering seems normal. I was thinking it might be sway bar related since during the cold winter I heard the squeek everybody talks about whenever I went over something like a speed hump (not bump) or the car went down and up in a dip in the road. Again I don't hear any noises now. I thought a bad ball joint make noise?

I have an older ('98) Chevy pickup that developed a similar symptom: Felt like it was hitting a patch of ice when the wheel was turned slightly to round a gentle curve. Was traced to a position sensor in the variable power steering assist system. I don't have any experience with the power steering system on my '02 LS (no problems), but more than likely you have a mechanical problem.....worn mechanical component.

Members online

No members online now.
Back