Yucky upper dash board after Meguiar's

roncoinc

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Only had the car a couple of weeks now with no history.
pollen season now and was time to do some interior cleaning.
having used Meguiar's products for years i decided to try the "quick interior detailer cleaner wipes with matte finish".
didnt notice the "matte" finish in small type.

so now i think this is a cleaner conditioner and only wanted a cleaner to start over.

a paper towel got rid of most all of the pollen so with a "wipe" i strarted going over the very large dash.
seeing the streaking i thought it would evaporate or go away when dry.
looking like a swirling mud puddle i used back and forth to smooth it out.
helped some but appearance looks like hell.
checking the used "wipe" revealed very little contaminate on it.
feeling the vinyl during this wipe not much if anything came off on my hand.
the dash was not shiny when i got the car so armor all "may" have been used but dried to a dull finish ??
dash didn't seem to attract the dust or pollen anymore than other surfaces.

Is this the way the wipes work and i should use more to clean and condition and blend ??
cautious of that not wanting to create more of a messy problem.

what i would like is something to really clean first before any conditioner or preservative.

I have.
windex.
Lexol leather cleaner.
Mothers VLR,vinyl.leather.rubber,cleans and conditions.
Meguiar's quick interior detailer cleaner.
ammonia and water.

besides what caused this mess the bottom line is what to do to get a good clean ??
never had this problem on the Vette or the Mass.
any suggestions appreciated.
tnx.

I would NOT use windex on the dash. A lightly damp towel (just water) should be used to take the worst of the pollen/dust off (or whatever cleaner mess you have going on now). If the dashboard hasn't been taken care of, it will take a few days of daily application of whatever you use before it absorbs in and evens out. I like the regular black magic stuff but the glare may be bothersome to people without polarized glasses.

Armor all is the worst. It always seems to dry white and not last very long.

I would NOT use windex on the dash. A lightly damp towel (just water) should be used to take the worst of the pollen/dust off (or whatever cleaner mess you have going on now). If the dashboard hasn't been taken care of, it will take a few days of daily application of whatever you use before it absorbs in and evens out. I like the regular black magic stuff but the glare may be bothersome to people without polarized glasses.

Armor all is the worst. It always seems to dry white and not last very long.

Yes,,i want to keep away from the armor all,,it may be what is causing the mess i have now.
the pollen and dust is gone,just the mess left.
if it is armor all you think damp rag will clean it off ??
never had much problem with windex,always get some on the dash cleaning the inside of the windshield ,,wipes off ok. :)
tnx.

The recommended cleaning method for the dash is water only, with a mild detergent added if it's especially dirty.

Armour All is bad because it penetrates the dash material, then when it dries out it crystallizes. When the crystals form, they expand. This breaks the dash. Keep Armour All on it, and it won't happen. It's their way of making sure you keep buying once you start buying.

303 Protectant is the only thing to use, if you want to use this sort of thing.

The recommended cleaning method for the dash is water only, with a mild detergent added if it's especially dirty.

Armour All is bad because it penetrates the dash material, then when it dries out it crystallizes. When the crystals form, they expand. This breaks the dash. Keep Armour All on it, and it won't happen. It's their way of making sure you keep buying once you start buying.

303 Protectant is the only thing to use, if you want to use this sort of thing.

I will make a note of that.
Thank you.

never use any product with silicone in it on plastic or rubber, it looks good at first but whites out after some time. On the dash and plastics use LEXOL for plastics, it leaves a nice patina shine and greatly increases the life of your plastics. Use LEXOL leather conditioner on the leather. Use no amour all anywhere. Been using the LEXOL product on my 01 since new, 14 years now, everything looks great. Use Whites tire products on your tires, they will not white out over time. To just clean the mess off the dash, use hot water and mild detergent, wipe dry then apply LEXOL.

never use any product with silicone in it on plastic or rubber, it looks good at first but whites out after some time. On the dash and plastics use LEXOL for plastics, it leaves a nice patina shine and greatly increases the life of your plastics. Use LEXOL leather conditioner on the leather. Use no amour all anywhere. Been using the LEXOL product on my 01 since new, 14 years now, everything looks great. Use Whites tire products on your tires, they will not white out over time. To just clean the mess off the dash, use hot water and mild detergent, wipe dry then apply LEXOL.

I have Lexol cleaner ?? for cleaning ? and lexol conditioner.

read up on the 303,good reviews too.

IIRC, there was a TSB on a blotchy dashpad. I think the solution was using a white Scotchbrite pad (the non-scratch variety) and a suitable protectant. Like Telco mentioned, I use Aerospace 303 protectant. I bought a gallon for about $50 at a local RV facility. The 32oz size was something like $22 so the gallon size made sense. Another upside is the gallon lasted a few years!!

IIRC, there was a TSB on a blotchy dashpad. I think the solution was using a white Scotchbrite pad (the non-scratch variety) and a suitable protectant. Like Telco mentioned, I use Aerospace 303 protectant. I bought a gallon for about $50 at a local RV facility. The 32oz size was something like $22 so the gallon size made sense. Another upside is the gallon lasted a few years!!

Been looking local for the 303,cant find any.
if i had ordered it first thing i would have it by now :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back