Your opinion please

68torino

LVC Member
Reaction score
I will go to look at a 1990 Towncar 141,000 miles on it. Owned by a little old man(factual). They wanted $2450 I offered $1900. I will give it a major looking over. It is mostly the base model with a cloth interior. I'm going to look at it Sat. so any input is appreciated. Oh and it is either this or have a complete trans overhaul w/torque converter on a base model 1992 Crown Vic. For $1250 plus torque converter.

GET THE TC!!!:D

If theres no major problems of course.

tc.

you wont regret it.

why would you want a car you cant even test drive?

I agree

If it's nearly mint then pay the man. What else are you going to get for that kind of cash. I got my near mint 90, with 98,000 miles, last July for @ $1400.00, but I was lucky.

I was looking for a 90' just because the 5.0 litres are so much cheaper and easier to work on and modify than the 91s and up.

Plus you get the newer body style (newer than the 80s) and you go from a drag co-efficient of a two stage brick (89 was .048) to .034 with the 90 body style.

Also you can shoot your mouth off that it was car of the year that year.

I love my 90 and I particularly enjoy the bulletproof, crack-free velour seats, as opposed to crack prone leather.

Check out the few mods that took mine to the same economy levels as the later more efficient 4.6 litres;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9371&s=28730#content

Sixlitre

Get the TC!

1990 was the only year they kept the front suspension design from the '80s models. They revised it in '91 so it would offer more feel and less of a floating feeling down the highway.

Forget the '90. Too much "old school" '80's mechanicals stuck under a newer TC body. Look for a '92 up so you get the 4.6 OHC engine coupled with an electronic 4 speed transmission - instead of the antiquated monkey-motion, pushrod relic that came with the '90's, along with that the old slushbox (AOD)...

Well I decided against the Vic even though it was the son's car. Besides rebuilding the trans would have had to do a torque converter. I like the '90 because it is the 302. Has air ride only on the rear as apposed to a '96 Conti I'm looking at with air on all four corners. One thing I dislike about the 4.6l is no distributer. I had a '91 Aero with coil pak which went bad and is a pain to repair. "sides I do like the '96 but it looks like a big Taurus.

Mark9 said:
Forget the '90. Too much "old school" '80's mechanicals stuck under a newer TC body. Look for a '92 up so you get the 4.6 OHC engine coupled with an electronic 4 speed transmission - instead of the antiquated monkey-motion, pushrod relic that came with the '90's, along with that the old slushbox (AOD)...

For those of us who like wrenching and have previous 5.0 litre experience

it's perfect. Also, the newer it is the more it costs. He won't get a 4.6 litre equipped TC for the kind of prices he's quoting and if he does it will be ROUGH no doubt.

Sixlitre

dont get that one, cloth seats.. no way. and not with those miles.. shop around, you will be glad that you did. i paid 3000 for my 90 towncar in 03 with 115k on it and it had every option except a sunroof... i might have been able to get a better deal on it, but it was my first time buying a car and i didnt try to haggle. so definately look around.

and the crown vic, never ever buy a car with problems that have to be worked on before you can drive it.

May need to change my name.

Well drove 175 miles in the rain to look at the 1990 TC. Except for very minor cosmetic items like one small piece of moulding gone, a couple of small paint chips and the rear tires needing changing before winter, I bought her. What a sweetie. Everything works including the message center and compass. Speedo is off but I think becuase of slightly taller tires. I even had them put it on a hoist and my son and I looked it over with flashlights. Looks like maybe two years old under it. They almost biffed it though, put her up in the air with out supporting the rear axle. Thought that was supposed to be bad for the air bags. And I made sure to look those over they are in good shape. The only thing 'wrong' with it is the power steering pump seal weeps a little other than that she ran great. Even had cold air. Oh and it has some goofy security device atached to the dash to the left of the column with wires running into the column. I flipped the switch while parked running and it killed the motor. So I need to research that. I'm going to try to attach a pic. Never seem to have much luck at it though. Oh yeah and if my math is right it ran around 22 to 24 mpg.

544140_632858_250.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back